Just Dyno'd '04 Comp Orange Mach 1!

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Hey guys... well... now after installing the Borla Cat Back, & K/N Air Filter... I decided to take it to the Dyno.

Car just turned 1495 miles on it... and I changed the oil to Mobil 1 5w 30...

Car's Best pulls were

285.1 RWHP 306.9 RWTQ
and
285.6 RWHP 307.3 RWTQ

Runs were done back to back!

I also have dyno'd my '01 Cobra on the same dyno... and will try to scan the before & after of them also! My '01 Cobra had a couple more mods though... and it only made 295RWHP 296 RWTQ... so I am very PLEASED!

All Numbers are SAE
(Scans coming soon hopefully)

I also took the car over to the scales... Tipped em just in at 3320! With just over a 1/4 tank.

Peace!

Dave

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Nice numbers Dave. I should be getting a stock Dyno by Jan or early Jan. What mods did you have on the Cobra? Those are not bad numbers for the Cobra. I am looking at getting a SpinTech exhaust next year for the Mach1. Will probibly plan a trip down to thier place and have them put it in and make sure everything is straight and tight..

AzDropTop

Established Member
Originally posted by E. Green Cobra
3320!!??? Good dyno numbers but that weight is what I want- supposedly the 99-01 snakes are 3430 where is the extra 1000 lbs?

The IRS is a couple hundred right?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Wow that is bad a$$
I had now idea those things were that light... that is out standing....you guy's are making me think....maybe I should just get a Mach1 and turn it into a cobra, It's got the brakes, it's got the heads and cams, It's got a better block(light..still think Ford got gun shy on that one),It still looks great!!
just needs a griggs torque arm, and a forged bottom end and a blower....
I smell wood burning....(my brain)

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Yeah... the weight diff (comparing an '01 Cobra to '03+ Mach) is just the IRS to Solid Axle. (100lbs).

We also weighed my buddies '03 Cobra... (With the 'Fuel Light' ON)... it weighed 3560!!! It was 140 Lbs Heavier on the Nose than my Mach, and 100 lbs heavier in the rear due to the IRS!

But... hey... from a 2nd gear punch... he still could pull me about a car to 70... (with just Chip & Exhaust on his car).

So they are still fierce too! Either one is a great car! I did the Mach1... because for Solo2... the Cobra has to run against Vettes... and that just ain't gonna happen.

Peace!

Dave

Mach1Pony

Established Member
I weighed my Mach at 3,350 with a 1/4 tank and my buddy weighed his '03 Cobra right after me and it weighed in at 3,850... 500 extra pounds.

IRS suspension, iron block and super charger make up most of the difference in the weight.

The 2003 Mach1's are not light cars considering a '69 Mach1 with a big block 429 and drag package weighed in at 3,253. I suppose if we didn't have a smog pump, air conditioning, 4 catalytic convertors and any other stuff we don't need to make the car run, it would be a lot lighter.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Working @ a Linc/Merc store I don't get to see that many cobras(pant,pant...lusty thoughts....)
Some of they other employees have stangs though....
an 03 blue mach1..sweet
an 03 black GT w/ dark center bullit wheels....drool....
and of course a couple v6s(ho hum)

I get my cobra fixes here......:rockon:

Last edited:

Ozman

Established Member
I see that you are an autocrosser. So you think the Mach 1 is better suited than the Cobra as an autocrosser? I agree that being heavier is a penalty, but would the HP offset some of the weight, depending on how tight the course is?

I did read in Road and Track that they tested a Mach 1 against an SVT Focus and Cobra on an autocross course, and got better times with the Mach 1. Of course the Cobra won on the road course because of the extra power.

I don't know how much you autocross, so you might not be able to answer this, but do you think the Mach 1 would be competitive nationally against the Camaros?

Thanks

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
As for my Autocross experience... I just won the 2003 Solo 2 National Championship in ESP, and won the ESP Pro Solo National Championship.... So I have a bitt of experience.

Previous National Championships were in 1997, in G-Stock.

So that is why I bought the Mach 1... was to go after an F-Stock title (again)... in 2001 I campaigned a Blue '01 Cobra and took 2nd at the Pro Solo Championship to the Camaro by 17 thousandths! :(... and then for Nationals... I had a Strut fail... and got crushed to 12th! :(

This year... I wanted to try it again... and I have tried a different car every year since 1997... so the new Mach 1... being called 'Competition Orange' seemed like the natural choice.

I didn't see the article you are talking about... I would love to get a copy of it!

The real difference (even IF the '03 Cobra could be bettter than the Mach1) is that the '03 Cobra's are in A-Stock.. and have to run against C4 Corvettes... the Mach 1's & N/A Cobas run against other Camaro's & mustangs, Firebirds etc... Generally the answer is... the Camaro's are the car to have... with the past 15 years won by an F-Body! So... any mustang is an underdog. But I like challenges...

As for overcoming weight... probably not likely in Auto-X... the courses are really never going to be big enough to make up that much front end wait... that is why Miata's are soo fast!

Peace!

Dave

Ozman

Established Member
Hey Dave,

A championship is something I aspire to someday. Congratulations on yours! I hadn't autocrossed in 9 years until I did 3 last summer. I did 2 in my 93 Corvette and 1 in my Mazda Protege 5.

Thanks for the info on the Mach 1. I kind of have a dilemma right now. I want to get back into serious autocrossing in 2004 and am having a tough time deciding what car to do it in. Like I said before, I have a 93 Corvette. Unfortunately, it has an auto trans and the 2:59 gears. I don't think with that combo, I could be competitive in the stock class at a national level (or could I?). I gravitate to the Mustangs because: 1) I work for a company owned by Ford, so I can get a great deal on a Mach 1 right now 2) I want to stay with rear drive, because it's more fun. The only front driver I would even consider right now is the 2004 SRT-4 Neon with the limited slip.

Do you think I could make the Vette competitive with the above combo. Is there anything I can do with the gears and stay in the stock class? Are the automatics competitive?

P.S. I just received a letter from Ford stating that employees can get another $750 off the price of a new Ford product. I could probably get a Mach 1 for around $22,xxx right now!

Also, could you post some pictures of your orange Mach 1? I'm thinking about that color instead of the blue I wanted.

Thanks

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Unfortunately I do not. :(

I had recently relocated to Cali... and the only place I (always) go to Dyno is over at Xtreme in AZ... so when I brought them the car... it already had the K&N & Borla CatBack (and 1,500 Miles on it).

I have a new Dr. Gas X Pipe (Intermediate, just replaces the Factory H after the Cats).

So I plan to do another dyno on that as well in the near future.

I can tell you though... the reason I am so sold on the Borla Stinger system... is for the power it actually made on my previous Z-06! I was right there... doing before and after... and it picked up 5-7 RWHP & RWTQ OVER the Borla X-R1 Race Mufflers I already had on the car!

I don't think you can go wrong with this system!

I see you have all the nice mods BUT Exhaust... I would love to see ya get one... and then Dyno it!!!

Peace!

Dave

MACH1PB

Established Member
welcome to CA dave! yea i've had my eyes on the borla forever and will get as soon as $$ is in my wallet.

Last edited:

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
I almost feel bad even replying to this thread, but I really don't think you gained anything with your catback, and you may have actually lost a little power. I just dyno'd my still stock 03 Mach 1 on Saturday, and I have the dyno sheet here.

Mach1Dyno.jpg

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
the a/f is like that from the factory?

All I can say is that mine has never been touched. Dropped in a filter, removed the fenderwell silencer, and that's it. The A/F was pretty much riding the 13.1 line all the way through the runs.

Users who are viewing this thread