Just dropped my irs have a question

ajt9229

Established Member
Just dropped the irs to change the bushings. The upper sub frame bolt has a flat head working on it as we speak and can't upload pictures. If you know what I'm taljing about and have removed this please let me know how and what you replaced it with. Thanks.

starnsey

Established Member
Flat head? Like flat head screw driver? Rounded bolt? What do you mean? All of the subframe bolts should be a normal hex headed bolt.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
There are 4 upper sub frame bolts.

The rear two will sometimes be replace by ones with a low profile head for better wide tire clearance.

A rounded head will likely be an Allen or torx drive.

If it is still a hex it may have been ground down. It should still come off like normal but a certain amount of care should be used if it is particularly thin.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
Well whatever it is, I suggest replacing them with new factory bolts if you do not need the added clearance. Sounds like it is an MM low profile bolt that's in there now.

ajt9229

Established Member
Thank You guys here is a few picks. Its completely Flat like a carriage bolt. I had to cut it off take vise grips and turn it at the other end then grab it at the end I cut off and turn it until it came off. Yes I probably do need the low profile bolts or new factory ones I have 315 35 17 tires. I do have spacers will I still need the low profile bolt? By the way what a pain in the @ss. I have the sub frame bushings replaced now to the differential bushings.

ae92211b-e1b8-4500-bdff-b1f3567c4cd0_zpse25f18e2.jpg

9a1f5383-0a18-4ed6-a751-f14fedc227a2_zpse4bf6bc7.jpg

d23d7edb-b6b8-43ce-aebe-4846e05b7528_zps140cbf90.jpg

ajt9229

Established Member
Also I bought this car In november and all the mods were done. I have a feeling when they put the 10.5" rim and spacers the guy cut the heads off the bolts. So now im ordering the low profile bolts. Wish I knew this last month when I ordered my bushings and everything. Thanks again for the replies.

vroom

Established Member
I don't have a 10.5 rear but I do have 315's with a spacer and the tire is no where close to the bolt head at all. Also if your car is lowered I don't think the bolt would be an issue anyways. I just looked at mine and if the tire was going to hit anything it would be the bracket that you had to remove to get your subframe out. I would go with the factory bolts

ajt9229

Established Member
Yea being new to the cobra world it had us stumped. Thats the only thing I thought they could of done was grind the head off. So Ive ordered the low profile bolt and going back tomorrow to install the differential bushings then wait for the bolts to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread