just curious...

jj98cobra

Established Member
Is there a motor oil that is ”better” for modular motors? Ive just been using mobil 1 but I recently read something about zinc or something+ idk I could be trippin.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Is there a motor oil that is ”better” for modular motors? Ive just been using mobil 1 but I recently read something about zinc or something+ idk I could be trippin.

Short answer----YES!

See longer answer with details as to why below:

All OEM car makers typically require a specific API licensed oil be used in order to remain warranty compliant during the warranty period. Royal Purple HPS oil is not an API licensed oil so it will not be warranty compliant. The Royal Purple SAE/API-SM and SN are warranty compliant oils and those API licenses currently have chemistry restrictions that limit the amount of phosphorous they can have in them and that directly affects the amount of zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP) anti wear additive that can be used. There are also ash limitations that can affect some other differences. So we are able to build our non API HPS and XPR oils to be a much more protective oil than our SAE/API licensed oils because being a non-API oil there are no chemistry restrictions.

During the warranty period we do recommend using a Royal Purple SAE/API oil. After warranty compliance is no longer an issue every engine can safely benefit from a significant upgrade in performance and protection by using Royal Purple HPS oil. HPS is safe for use in street driven modern emission controlled vehicles. HPS is typically 50 cents to a dollar more per quart than the SAE/API oils.
HPS product info: Automotive - Royal Purple

Due to the Royal Purple HPS being a new product last year, you are not likely to find it on a local store shelf. However a special order should be possible at your local NAPA. Eventually O’Reilly’s, Advanced Auto, and Carquest should have it as well.

When getting HPS locally does not work out it is definitely available and shipping at:

Lucky7trucks.com: HPS High Performance Street Oil - Lucky 7 Truck Accessories
Summit Racing: Royal Purple at SummitRacing.com: synthetic motor oil, coolant additives, gear lube, transmission fluid, assembly lube & more
Jegs: Royal Purple 31130 Royal Purple HPS Street Motor Oil
Pace Performance: Pace Performance
Amazon.com

Web site- High Performance Synthetic Lubricants and Motor Oil - Royal Purple
FAQs- Royal Purple FAQ | Synthetic Motor Oil Questions Answered
Locator- Royal Purple Dealer Locator | Buy Royal Purple Products Online

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!

Jim Morrissey

Technical Services

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
True synthetics or death, period.

HPS is awesome stuff. Now if only my koolaid taste that good. :-D

I also use non-API certified lubricants in all of my cars, and one of them is new with only 2,700 miles on it. I have confidence in true synthetic lubricants.

Last edited:

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
If it were me I would reccommend you stop using Mobil1. I was a die hard Mobile1 user and advocate until my 02 WRX started having a weird oil burning issue. Oil level would be fine up to ~2k miles and then I would lose a around 3/4 of a quart very quickly. After talking with a few people it turns out that Mobil apparently changed their formulation to a grade 3 base stock, which technically is highly refined dino juice, and nearly every WRX owner has noticed similar behavior. I've also experienced questionable oil analysis results on my wifes Mazda using Mobil1. I have switched all my cars to a different synthetic oil now. No more Mobil1 for me.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Very true, after the hurricane destroyed ExxonMobil's PAO plant in south Texas, they switched to a mixture of true synthetic PAO and hydrocracked petroleum. It was/is a big secret hidden from consumers.

Shreddingrubber

Established Member
Yep. Mobil 1 has decided their bottom line was more important then retaining their integrity. Royal purple is great stuff as is Amsoil. Beast has it right about API approved oils. They have reduced levels of anti-wear agents because zddp kills catalytic convectors.
So they are saying they would rather the cat last at the expense of the engine. Absurd if you ask me.
The smaller boutique blenders tend to not even bother with the API certifications since it costs big bucks and since their oils surpass the quality the API asks for their stamp most figure why bother.
It's like Amsoil. Their oem approved API stamped oil is their lowered quality offering,of all their products. So their least best product passes the API. Funny.
Then royal purple. These guys have their hps line that is fantastic yet their API stuff is average.
It makes me laugh that in order for these companies to get the stamp they had to lessen the quality of that particular product,just like the warantee approved spec oils all have.
I know I'm generalizing here and there are exceptions to my statements however all my vehicles have no cats so I want an oil that will extend the life of my motor,not my catalytic converter.
I'm in the middle of the canadian prairie so we don't have smog sniffers. So we get to cheat a little.

Yep. Mobil 1 has decided their bottom line was more important then retaining their integrity. Royal purple is great stuff as is Amsoil. Beast has it right about API approved oils. They have reduced levels of anti-wear agents because zddp kills catalytic convectors.
So they are saying they would rather the cat last at the expense of the engine. Absurd if you ask me.
The smaller boutique blenders tend to not even bother with the API certifications since it costs big bucks and since their oils surpass the quality the API asks for their stamp most figure why bother.
It's like Amsoil. Their oem approved API stamped oil is their lowered quality offering,of all their products. So their least best product passes the API. Funny.
Then royal purple. These guys have their hps line that is fantastic yet their API stuff is average.
It makes me laugh that in order for these companies to get the stamp they had to lessen the quality of that particular product,just like the warantee approved spec oils all have.
I know I'm generalizing here and there are exceptions to my statements however all my vehicles have no cats so I want an oil that will extend the life of my motor,not my catalytic converter.
I'm in the middle of the canadian prairie so we don't have smog sniffers. So we get to cheat a little.

Good stuff. Been reading lots of your posts on here but you haven't indicated what brand you use and what weight? Im curious...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Some lubricants have reduced levels of ZDDP to API SN acceptable levels, yet still kept engine wear in check. They normally boost Moly and Boron to compensate, and I'm sure add other proprietary additives that do not show up in used oil analysis reports. Amsoil reformulated their Signature Series a couple of years ago and did just that. At first I was a skeptic, but was proven wrong. It performed just as good as their previous formulations with higher levels of ZDDP.

Amsoil was able to satisfy both parties, effectively. I'm impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread