Just completed my first solo flight.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
I did a lot of research into my decision and love the Grummans. The feel and roll of the plane truly is sportscareque. I have taken two long flights to the Gulf and to the Atlantic and she flies like a dream. The design and use of tubes truly is very well done. Look up the Grumman Satire on YouTube. It is comedy but shows a lot. His plane is a Traveler and not a Tiger but they are very similar.

For those of you questioning the cost of a plane, how much is your time worth? Have you driven on an interstate lately?

Established Member
Had a very good fried who was an A&P and a great all around mechanic. He front halfed a 66 comet I use to drag with. He was scratch building a Pitts or modified Christensen I believe, when he got cancer and passed. If he was still around he would have talked me into it by now.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Congrats pilot!! Nothing beats that feeling of flight all by your lonesome. Enjoy the ride. I’ve had my ticket two years now and have an IFR and an airplane. It will defy change your world!!

28f7786ae435f454288e0a5ef9fcc50b.jpg
867fccc5997609a0e92d80ffdde00ff2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MG01GT

Established Member
Congrats pilot!! Nothing beats that feeling of flight all by your lonesome. Enjoy the ride. I’ve had my ticket two years now and have an IFR and an airplane. It will defy change your world!!

View attachment 1684307View attachment 1684308

Oh man!!! See that’s ultimately how I want to have a set up as! Beautiful toys and hanger!

I love flying. It is a challenge in the beginning and frankly it still is as I have about 22 hours. Landings were the hardest for me to get right, and even then I still have some hot garbage landings. Safe, but garbage lol. I was actually up yesterday trying short field take off and landings and the wind flipped the script on us and and started busting from the east at 15-20 knots..... so needless to say we didn’t get much done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Oh man!!! See that’s ultimately how I want to have a set up as! Beautiful toys and hanger!

I love flying. It is a challenge in the beginning and frankly it still is as I have about 22 hours. Landings were the hardest for me to get right, and even then I still have some hot garbage landings. Safe, but garbage lol. I was actually up yesterday trying short field take off and landings and the wind flipped the script on us and and started busting from the east at 15-20 knots..... so needless to say we didn’t get much done.

was the windshift aloft or at the surface? If surface, it wasn't in the TAFs?

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Congratulations Man!

It always blows my mind that a normal guy can just go flying around the skies. (After you complete your hours of course). Seems like such a privilege.

B0B

Established Member
Congrats OP. You’re entering a great community. If it is your passion and you go the commercial route you’ll never work another day.

View attachment 1684307View attachment 1684308

beautiful RV. I’m in the marker for a 6 within the next year. How do you like your 7? You don’t see 3 blade constant speeds on them often, are you running an 0-360?

I did a lot of research into my decision and love the Grummans. The feel and roll of the plane truly is sportscareque. I have taken two long flights to the Gulf and to the Atlantic and she flies like a dream. The design and use of tubes truly is very well done. Look up the Grumman Satire on YouTube. It is comedy but shows a lot. His plane is a Traveler and not a Tiger but they are very similar.

For those of you questioning the cost of a plane, how much is your time worth? Have you driven on an interstate lately?

nice tiger, My uncle has a 78 tiger that I have some time in. It is a great airplane.

Nice to see several other pilots chiming in.

MG01GT

Established Member
was the windshift aloft or at the surface? If surface, it wasn't in the TAFs?

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

There was nothing in the TAF’s at the time, and I got a good couple laps in the pattern then it got pretty bumpy on the downwind stretch on my last short field attempt. Tower called us and asked us to right 180 back into 9L (normally 27R)...... sorry guys for the nerd talk lol so to answer your question it was surface and aloft... Gillespie is sandwiched between some lovely terrain.

MG01GT

Established Member
Nice 172 just needs the wheel skirts as I always think they are cleaner looking than the wheel only types. But my I suggest if you can find one a O-2/ 337 as you can have your single engine rated license and own and operate them as they are a dual engine frame. Always liked them and you can not mistake them for anything else out there.

I’m at the mercy of flying what ever shitbox the school gives me unfortunately!

MG01GT

Established Member
congrats! how much did it cost and how long did it take?

So to be honest I couldn’t give you exact number for cost because the GiBill is footing the bill for me. But I have roughly 23 hours. And I’m whisking to bet if I payed out of pocket it would be around 15k....

MG01GT

Established Member
Oh I know how school planes are they usually ridden hard and slightly abused. I was just suggesting the 337 as a possible future private plane if you ever did decide to get one.

I think at some point I will be buying my own plane. Gotta remodel the kitchen and other house stuff before I buy one... at least if I want to stay married lol.

MG01GT

Established Member
In other news I had my first local area solo today and it went really well. If any of you are familiar with the San Diego East traffic area it can get a bit congested over Alpine and the Romona area so other then that it was good. It’s amazing how much more relaxed you are in the plane when it’s just you and your focused on Aviating, Navigating and communicating more so than making sure you don’t screw a maneuver up lol.

SVTPete83

Established Member

Just keep at it. You never perfect them but it will get easier!!

SVTPete83

Established Member
beautiful RV. I’m in the marker for a 6 within the next year. How do you like your 7? You don’t see 3 blade constant speeds on them often, are you running an 0-360?

Nice to see several other pilots chiming in.

Mine is a 9A with a 3 blade Catto and fixed pitch. It’s insanely efficient and still climbs hard even without the constant speed. I climb out at 110 knots and about 1000fpm at sea level. I can go 74 knots for Vy and 1400fpm. Cruise is 155knots true using about 7gph. It’s a hell of a ride man! You will absolve that 6. RV grin is real!!

SVTPete83

Established Member
In other news I had my first local area solo today and it went really well. If any of you are familiar with the San Diego East traffic area it can get a bit congested over Alpine and the Romona area so other then that it was good. It’s amazing how much more relaxed you are in the plane when it’s just you and your focused on Aviating, Navigating and communicating more so than making sure you don’t screw a maneuver up lol.

Let the fun begin! Cross country solos were my favorite part of training.

MG01GT

Established Member
Let the fun begin! Cross country solos were my favorite part of training.

I am actually really looking forward to doing cross country solos. I feel like that’s where it all starts to come together.

MG01GT

Established Member
Just keep at it. You never perfect them but it will get easier!!

I just try to be patient and not let things get in my head too much. Landing is always a challenge to get right let alone consistently lol. I had a beautiful landing and full stop on 27R then I asked to go to 27L to do some touch and go’ and I was all over the place lol. Granted 27L and s narrow and shorter but those excuses only last so long.

My94GT

Established Member
Awesome stuff! This is something I’ve always been curious to look into but I think I chicken out due to fear of ever making a mistake on my own one day and the risks seem much higher.

maybe at some point I just need to delve into it more, as I’m sure nothing else compares to flying.

MG01GT

Established Member
Awesome stuff! This is something I’ve always been curious to look into but I think I chicken out due to fear of ever making a mistake on my own one day and the risks seem much higher.

maybe at some point I just need to delve into it more, as I’m sure nothing else compares to flying.

Id say give it a try. Or find a flight school or an instructor that will take you up on a flight and see if you like it. I’m willing to bet you would get hooked!

Users who are viewing this thread