Just bought Cobra in Arizona, need advice!

97StangSVT

Established Member

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
Member on here posted this response to another member looking into buying
The above is all traditionally correct assuming responsible ownership of the car prior to your purchase.

I'd never buy a modified or performance car without having it leak down, compression and multipoint inspected though. That $2-300 at a reputable shop can save you from buying a problem child.

I found a 28,000 mile 750whp twin turbo cobra that made 177-181 compression in all 8, no leaks, passed a 70pt inspection with flying colors, etc. I bought it and it was immaculate.

I avoided buying a "stock" 2004 comp orange convertible with just 21,000 miles (wanted a summer cruiser/bolt on project car) that made just 135-160 compression through all 8, showed signs the transmission brace had been removed at least a few times, had a brand new differential and axle boots, had head tick and a very minor exhaust leak near the bottom of the driver manifold, etc. I never checked up on the car after that, but I'd imagine the eventual buyer ended up with a problem child... It likely was a bolt on car abused often and so on.

Even a stock 2003 cobra had an engine replacement by just 5,000 miles when car and driver tested a 2003 cobra vs an 00r years back. They were magazine editor miles (bounce redline, miss shifts, 4-2 up shifts likely, etc) but still shows what can happen when abused...

I'd say the car you're looking at is likely fine. I'd have it compression, leak down, and multipointed by a respected dealer in the area. If a BMW dealer has the best rep, use them, if a gm dealer, etc. I had an Audi dealer multiple point/test an Infiniti for me as the Infiniti dealer had a terrible rep, and the Audi dealer was same price but much more reputable.

From there, if all checks out, enjoy and care for the car well. Keep up on checking plugs/oil/coolant etc, probably get in the habit of changing fluids/filters/plugs/etc more often, especially after winter storage, empty or stabilize the fuel tank before storage, run injector cleaner in the spring, all the simple things. That extra 10-25hrs of maintenance at a cost or maybe $250-500 a year is the difference between a hundred thousand mile 600whp engine, and a 5-25,000 mile engine IMO. (Of course driver habits, a proper custom dyno tune in your area or reputable chip, etc also are huge factors)

That was very long, but wanted to offer a few perspectives. It's likely a great vehicle, practice due diligence and all will be well.

Like he says first thing to have done is a compression and leak down test on the cylinders along with a multi point inspection of the car. After that replace fluids and filters then BEFORE you go WOT have the A/F and tune checked.

Im in the Phoenix area, no where near Lake Havasu City but a local shop who'd Id recommend is Cordes Performance Racing (480) 359-5914 in Mesa, AZ, they did great work on my Cobra and are great to deal with.

Last edited:

Mustang289

Established Member
Looks like this Cobra has a cold air intake installed. Not likely for upper pulley mod as the pulley cover is still on.

Why would somebody put that crap on such a nice car.... Please make this fantastic car right again.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Looks like a good deal with those miles ... I agree, the taillights & spoiler have to go!!

At least it appears the owner saved the stock taillights ....

Zemedici

Established Member
good god that spoiler.

Those shelby's look good though :beer:

Congrats on the purchase.

MTBSully

Established Member
Wait so you already bought the car but havent looked at it? What if it is a bone? Curious about ebay buying techniques here, never bought a car on ebay before.

fr03cobra

Established Member
Unless it was a real cobra r. The spoiler, and tail lights make it look like a ricer.

97StangSVT

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I contacted the seller last night, but haven't heard from them yet. I see a belt in one of the pics and a sct box, which leads me to believe it has a pulley.

Mach828

Established Member
Seller has no sales or feedback at all. I wouldn't send a deposit until you can get him to drop it off at a shop for an inspection to verify the car actually exists.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Too bad you didn't post this last week. I was in Havasu last weekend for a show. There's a shop out there named Tri Tech. They work on my grandparent's and their friends' cars. They're a good shop to use.

Pollardhimself

Established Member
What I see is you buying a 18k car from someone with 0 rep. Sounds like a scam to me especially off ebay... I wouldn't send a a single dime to any shipping service.

97StangSVT

Established Member
Just spoke to a family member that is handling the estate. Everything seems on the up and up. They are willing to take it to a local shop. I am waiting for the local Ford dealer and Tri-Tech Auto to call back.

Users who are viewing this thread