Just bought an '03

SVT Kev

Established Member
Hi, I just traded my 99 Cobra coupe plus around $15k for an almost completely stock Torch Red 03 coupe with 16,000 miles. The only mod is a K&N air filter. The car is an early model, so I've only got two months of factory warranty left. Are there any things that I should get checked out while it is still warrantied? Sometimes, it seems hard to get into first gear, but I'm not sure if that is driver error from me being used to the 99's shifter. Other than a sticky driver's seat belt retractor and some wind noise from the weatherstripping behind the driver's side window, the car is great. What do you guys think of the price? The traded 99 had 91k miles, was black on black, and almost totally stock. The paint was ok, but it had quite a few rock chips, and some minor cracks and blemishes. Thanks.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congrats on the new ride! Sounds like they only gave you about $10K for your '99. I honestly don't know what the KBB numbers are for that year. Torch Red is a great color.

I'd listen to the motor and be sure you don't hear a ticking which could mean you have the infamous "tick" issue that requires a head replacement. Drivetrain vibration was another issue. If you can find a good SVT dealer in your area that will work with you, have them give it a good check. I'm sure others will pipe in with more specific recommendations.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Try pulling up hard on the clutch pedal, if the feel of shifting does not improve, have the stock clutch looked at by dealer. My first one died at 12k with only 5 passes on it.

Most of the coupes have slow seat belt retraction. You can pull the panel and make sure it is not binding or twisted but I believe they should have spec'd a more robust return spring.

I just bought the coupe I have in August, stock with 15k miles for 21,700 for price comparison.

Love torch red too, mod it well.
...and welcome

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
welcome to SVTPerformance!

there is a Technical Service Bulletin on the seatbelt retraction speed: #04-24-21

SVT Kev

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I am not looking to seriously mod it, probably just intake/exhaust, so I am thinking of getting a Ford extended warranty. While the car has under 16k miles, the in-service date was in July 2002, so the factory warranty is almost gone. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
GETTEUP said:
hahahahaha yeah ok, that's what i said too
Me, too! Just ask my wife. She has brought it up more than once. Still does occasionally. LOL!

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
Congratulations and happy trails to you. Extended warranty? Does it cover mods? I think not. Save your money for more mods. It's addicting.

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
hah.. yeah.. Funny we all said the same thing when we got our cars. You'd think the HP these things have Stock would be enough but were Sicko's lol..

Take the advice given and make good use of your remaining warranty.. Just get a list of things you need them to take care of and get it over with. When I got mine, It was back at the dealer for a laundry list of warranty fixes that took a month before i got it back for various back order parts, etc.. but hey, it's free and dont' forget you get a free loaner while they service it..

My car also had the TICK!. The driver's side head was replaced under warranty and I've been tick free for well over a month now. That's something you don't want to wait and find out you have when the warranty runs dry.. I'd get that covered under the Factory warranty pronto if you have it.

Enjoy.

P.S. My thoughts on not modding it.. lol.. I just ordered the Pulley, Idler, Chip and getting it dyno tuned next week. Then it's off to a better heat exchanger and a ported Eaton!. Resistence is Futile!. ;)

Good luck with it!
B.

SVT Kev

Established Member
You guys are funny, I'm serious about not modding it. However, I've only had it for a few days, so I haven't even gotten used to the power it has stock.
Jaxcobra99, did you just have the head replacement done recently? Did they give you any hassle over it? How long did the process take, from diagnosis until replacement? The nearest SVT dealership is about 500 miles away, but I have a good relationship with my local non-SVT Ford dealer. Thanks again, Kevin.

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
SVT Kev said:
You guys are funny, I'm serious about not modding it. However, I've only had it for a few days, so I haven't even gotten used to the power it has stock.
Jaxcobra99, did you just have the head replacement done recently? Did they give you any hassle over it? How long did the process take, from diagnosis until replacement? The nearest SVT dealership is about 500 miles away, but I have a good relationship with my local non-SVT Ford dealer. Thanks again, Kevin.

Yes.. about a month ago I believe. I did not have any hassle from this particular place. It was about 2-3 Days total for the repair. I drove my car in hoping maybe something was out of adjustment and when the Service Mgr listenend to the car he said that I had without a doubt a Ticking Head and would take a couple days to get the parts in and a couple days to do the work.

This was not an SVT Dealer. Just Ford. So you shouldn't be turned away just because they're non-SVT IMHO.

Be forwarned.. some places will give you the run around and seem as if the repair is coming out of their own pocket.. Just be prepared for that. I don't understand what it is exactly.. Maybe they get some sort of bonus for turning in the least # of claims to Ford or something.

Hope that helps
B.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
SVT Kev said:
...snip... I am not looking to seriously mod it, probably just intake/exhaust,...snip....

Ya know what, that sounds like a pretty smart thing to do.

Minimum mods.......

Then Ford will dick you over a clutch that only has 5 passes and 12K on it and you will snap............ whoah, deja vu

Good luck not-modding. I still suggest subframes (MM) and Billetflow Diff brace)

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
postban said:
Ya know what, that sounds like a pretty smart thing to do.

Minimum mods.......

Then Ford will dick you over a clutch that only has 5 passes and 12K on it and you will snap............ whoah, deja vu

Good luck not-modding. I still suggest subframes (MM) and Billetflow Diff brace)

c'mon Chester, you planned the molestation of that car before you even got it! :p

I agree that SFC's and BF IRS cover brace are highly recommended, even on a bone stock car

Users who are viewing this thread