Just bought a Grand Prix..opinions please

SVTINBLAK

Established Member
Its a 2005 Grand Prix GT with the 3.6 litre. I was looking at a 2002 Explorer and talked myself out of even test driving it 'cause of gas prices being the way they are,then the GT caught my eye. I'm not THAT crazy about the styling BUT when I was test driving it I began to really like this sedan.It's not the supercharged model but still very peppy to say the least.Gets decent gas mileage as well...
Anyone know "basic" mods that are done to these cars/eng.? Not going to go extreme,but would like to give that peppy v6 a little more hp.
Got a good deal on this car.....throw out some opinions please!

akula51

Me
Established Member
Does that have the windshield HUD or was that just on the older GTPs? I was looking at those like 5 years ago and wondered why everything doesn't have that now...laugh.

Ack

JasonSnake

Established Member
isn't there a recall on these cars? Something about a potential for fire?

sb306

Established Member
I have a friend at work that has one. He likes it. If I were you I would do the usual mileage/performance mods. Cai, catback, maybe underdrive pulleys......... Not sure what else. lol. you can get modified pcms also. Do the cai and catback and put the rest of your cash into the fox :)

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
you'll probably just be wasting your money trying to squeeze any real performance out of it. maybe a cai and/or exhaust for the sound, but that's about it. im sure a 50 shot will give you more hp than ALL the available mods that are available, combined, lol. and you'll save a ton too!

JasonSnake

Established Member
too bad he won't be able to rev passed 3000 rpm's in neutral on those things. lol

SVTINBLAK

Established Member
Welper,
I reckon I SHOULD of said the "3.8" litre...but who's gonna quibble about .2 liters lol...
Yeah probably wont be modding this car,pretty much a wast of money.I do enjoy
driving it however and yes a Yaris is my next purchase,the hell with the 5.0 mods!
Long live Yaris !

SVTTuckF100

M&M Custom Finishes
Established Member
i think thats for the older gtp's and regal gs's with the sc v6

yea it was, a friend of mine has a pretty quick 99 Regal GS, something with fluid spilling onto the supercharger housing and igniting iirc. He just got the letter in the mail a couple weeks ago, but we replaced most of that stuff when we put the new ported SC housing and intake manifold back on.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
I have a 99 Grand AM. Yea, it's not really worth it to try to mod. It's faster than an SVT Contour already so it ain't horrible. My only mod is my HHO generator ha.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
I lalled at first too. My friend got an SVTC and was all talkin it up until I shut him down with my stock g-ride.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Hey, bite me. :p For those of us who would rather have a manual Festiva than an automatic Corvette, the SVT Contour dominated the low-$20K bracket from '98-'00.

Congrats to the OP on the Grand Prix, though. If you're not a three pedal snob like me, they're nice cars. My sister had a four cylinder Grand Am and the car actually impressed me with the way it drove (well, except for the massive engine shuddering when sitting still in drive; putting it in neutral fixed this). GM makes the best automatics I've driven; my brother's '97 Cavalier Z24 would take the engine into redline when you floored it, and my sister's Grand Am did a great job reading my pressure on the gas and selecting the appropriate gear.

Users who are viewing this thread