Just bought a 93 Cobra... I think

stangbear427

Established Member
Hello all. I don't want to be a newb cluttering up your board with unnecessary threads/post, but I need some '93 Cobra experts to help me out I think. I did use the search first, poked around for about a half hour, and read the stickied thread at the top "93 Cobra Differences". I guess I'd like some personnal responses... I'm really agonizing over my situation here. Anyway:

I just bought (alleged) 1993 Cobra #1386, Vibrant red. Bone stock but for the exhaust and 3.55's. This is my 5th Fox stang, I've been seriously into them for over ten years and currently own three. I know them inside and out like few enthusiasts... but ironically not much about the Cobra they were never relevant to my situation. I was looking to replace my ailing '91 GT, saw this Cobra for sale and ended up buying it... but I'm having aggrivating doubts to it's authenticity. The first was that I'm certain it has a regular 5.0 MAF not a Cobra one. No big deal- but doing homework led me to this site, and reading the sticky informed me that no Cobras had cruise control. Mine does- at least it has the steering wheel controls. It isn't on the road yet, and I didn't check if it worked in the test drive. I drove 8 hours to buy it and trailored it home. Also curious is that the engine compartment is a distinctly different shade of red than the body, although everything else is color consistant. Another thing I noticed was the NY title didn't say Cobra- don't know if it should or not? I should mention that I do have the SVT certificate and it matches my VIN, which has the correct code for Cobras according to the sticky topic, and the Cobra tag on the radiator support. I neglected to look in the oil fill to check the RR's or injector colors, but it definitely has the Cobra intake and pulls way harder than a GT, more than just an intake would add. I took several pictures for your reference if you think they're relevant, including the frame tag, SVT certificate, door tag, valve cover sticker, engine, exterior and stuff. I'll post them if you want. Just looking for a little peace of mind, and if some fellow red '93 owners could share some of their time with me I'd really appreciate it.
Jess

Last edited:

stangbear427

Established Member
Wow, 19 views but nobody wants to tackle this one?

I followed a link I came across in here to the 1993 Cobra Registry, and #1386 was registered there. Almost nothing was filled in for it, but I think it's this car because the only option it has is the sunroof and that's all that was registered there, the color codes are the same, and it was registered with 97,000 miles- mine has just over 98,000. I'm assuming the guy I bought it from registered it there. That still doesn't make it a Cobra, but if it isn't, whoever really has car #1386 has the same exact car and same mileage or hasn't tried to register theirs there...

stangbear427

Established Member
Thanks for the reply! The title says 1993 Ford MUS 2DSD, that's it. The previous owners NY registration said Mustang GT, but the VIN on the car does have the "1FACP42D".

stangbear427

Established Member
Thanks guys. I may call the SVT hotline today, it being Monday now. I guess I'm pretty sure it's for real at this point. I'm just scared to carfax it, and find out what it's story really is- what with the mis-matched engine bay paint and all, wrong steering wheel etc. I know it's been in an accident, but it wasn't easy for me to tell and I was born and raised in a body shop. Somebody at some point really went through this thing and had it all apart. We'll see. Regardless of what it's been through it's still the cleanest, tightest Fox I've ever seen- practically showroom condition- so I guess I just need to get over this stuff and not be so anal retentive.

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
1)no Cobras had cruise control. Mine does- at least it has the steering wheel controls. 2) Also curious is that the engine compartment is a distinctly different shade of red than the body, although everything else is color consistant. 3) I should mention that I do have the SVT certificate and it matches my VIN, which has the correct code for Cobras according to the sticky topic, and the Cobra tag on the radiator support.

1) A few 93 Cobras did come with cruise control and car alarms, but they were added at the selling dealer and were not an option from Ford. A past owner could have easily added this at some point also.

2) I though I remember some discussion about the engine bays not being clear coated, can anyone confirm this? If that were the case that would be why the red looks different shade and I think it would be most noticeable on the red cars.

3) If the VIN's listed all over the car have the 8th digit 'D', if your car has a sunroof + other options that were listed on the 1993 Cobra Registry, and if 1800 ford svt says it is real then I'm sure you are golden. Enjoy!

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
I agree with my SVT brothers; the vin is the deciding factor. If it was already registered on the Registry, that shows that someone elses hands also caressed your car. You will find that quite a few of our cars have been modified. Congratulations.

stangbear427

Established Member
Me too, but for what I paid for it I don't think anyone could have made much money by taking a GT and cloning a Cobra. The extent they went to is just too much; and I've seen GTs in this condition go for close to the same price- a GT is what I was originally looking for. Ya'll have made me feel a lot better. I'm off to the DMV tomorrow to get it all legal, then it's time to start the long, arduous task of picking the bones of my good ol' GT clean and swapping all my hardcore crap onto the new Cobra. Or maybe I'll just drive it this way for awhile...

blk50cobra

Established Member
Just check the other various VIN stickers on the car to make sure they match. The color you see under the hood is normal for the vibrant red cars. There is no clearcoat under the hood, so the red looks darker. Somebody could have swapped out the MAF easily. Maybe the old one went bad and the previous owner couldn't find one, or didn't realize it was different than a GT. The cruise control is a bit odd. I would check if the cruise control is really installed, or if the steering wheel was just swapped.

stangbear427

Established Member
I hope to have it on the road tomorrow, I'll see if it works then. As for the MAF, the original may have been damaged in the accident, I'm sure it was hit on that side and forward of the strut tower. When I put my Pro-M in, it won't bother me anymore. When I first called about the car, the owner told me about the paint not matching under the hood, and that was my explanation as well- until I saw it. Like I said, I've painted enough cars to know how it looks before and after the clear goes on, and this is a completely different color. Here's a theory for someone who knows to either verify or shoot down: I'm under the impression that the '93 Cobras were finished GT's when SVT got them, much like Saleens etc. I also believe that at the time "Vobrant Red" was an exclusive Cobra color, so is it possible that SVT resprayed the Cobras but didn't respray under the hood, leaving it whatever color red it was as a GT?

blk50cobra

Established Member
You could check under the hood to see if a cruise control cable is installed too. The red does look quite a bit different on all the red cars I've seen. Underhood looks like a deep red, and the exterior is more orange-red. Maybe the clear has a tint or something, or it was different from the factory like you said. Maybe someone with a red car has a pic that shows the difference.

stangbear427

Established Member
Well, kinda. The lighting was terrible, so the colors don't look right at all. However, down in the lower left corner you can really see how different the radiator support is from the bumper cover over the headlight.

432856_173_full.jpg

While I'm posting pics, anybody know what this sticker on the passenger side valve cover means?

432856_174_full.jpg

SVT1993

Established Member
stangbear427 said:
I hope to have it on the road tomorrow, I'll see if it works then. As for the MAF, the original may have been damaged in the accident, I'm sure it was hit on that side and forward of the strut tower. When I put my Pro-M in, it won't bother me anymore. When I first called about the car, the owner told me about the paint not matching under the hood, and that was my explanation as well- until I saw it. Like I said, I've painted enough cars to know how it looks before and after the clear goes on, and this is a completely different color. Here's a theory for someone who knows to either verify or shoot down: I'm under the impression that the '93 Cobras were finished GT's when SVT got them, much like Saleens etc. I also believe that at the time "Vobrant Red" was an exclusive Cobra color, so is it possible that SVT resprayed the Cobras but didn't respray under the hood, leaving it whatever color red it was as a GT?

There are many instances of people stating that the underhood color is different from the body color. In fact, most people who don't know of this fact question it here.

The 93 Cobra was not just a finished Mustang GT. There is way to many differences to make that statement. It did however, come down the same line as the G.T.

As long as the Vin # is substainable, you shoud have no other worries about the color.

stangbear427

Established Member
SVT1993 said:
The 93 Cobra was not just a finished Mustang GT. There is way to many differences to make that statement. It did however, come down the same line as the G.T.

I'm not sure I understand your argument. What do you think I'm saying about the Cobra/GT relationship? Your use of the word "just" is throwing me for a loop.

Users who are viewing this thread