Just booked a trip to Cancun for May!!!!

16kOrBust

Established Member
I'm pumped and wanted to share! My girlfriend and I will be staying at Riu Palace Las Americas (all-inclusive). Never been to Cancun and never been to an all-inclusive like this, but I'm not particularly picky when it comes to vacations so I'm sure it'll be more than nice enough for me. She's a little pickier, though, which is why we went for this one instead of the lesser local hotels in the chain. It's got 4.5 out of 5 on Trip Advisor from almost 2,100 reviews, so it works for me.

Also, I got an awesome deal booking through the airline's vacation website instead of Expedia/Travelocity where I usually go. They were in the $1,000-$1,100 per person range for the flights we wanted with hotel and I ended up paying $848 each through the airline for hotel and flight with taxes and fees. I've been shopping around since early January and started to get nervous that prices would go up if I didn't book soon, but the wait paid off. That extra $200 each should come in handy for a rental car and some excursions I'm hoping to do (snorkeling, jetskis, etc).

Feel free to post your stories if you've got em! :D

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've never been to Cancun but know people who have vacationed there. I think you'll have a great time. Nice time of the year to go, although maybe you should have gone a month ago. LOL! Have fun!

S. Jersey Stang

Established Member
Been to Cancun once way back when (about 10+ years ago) and just went to Riviera Maya last year.

One thing, be prepared for it to be HOT, especially if its at the end of May.
We went last year the first week of June and it was brutal.
Still had an awesome time, but you literally were sweating within a minute of walking out of any air conditioned area.....and lots of areas there are "open air"....
The huge pools (with the pool bars :D ) were our favorite spot most of the day just about the whole time.

I am not picky either and I have been happy anytime we have gone on an all inclusive vacation.

Number one tip from me-
Tip your bartenders as soon as you get there, and they will take care of you all week.
Also, lots of times they will water down the drinks a bit to start, don't be afraid to tell them to make them stronger, they will.

We are actually looking into going to Cancun again this year, within the next two months, trying to go last week of April, first week of May range.
Got to see if the funds are going to be there first.

Have fun.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Pray you dont get executed

Sent with My Massive Johnson

SpectorV

Established Member
I went to Cancun last May and stayed at the Golden Parnasus, take about 50 bucks in 1's to tip with and thats about it... the alcohol choices are ok (wont find Jack for example). Buy a container to take (bubba keg) an they will fill it up, if you dont take your own container they give you little glasses.

S. Jersey Stang

Established Member
Buy a container to take (bubba keg) an they will fill it up, if you dont take your own container they give you little glasses.

Good call, don't know how I forgot that. Much easier on you to bring your own insulated mug to fill up every half hour than to have to sit by the bar and drink out of the 10oz or so cups they give you.....
That thing definitely was worth its weight in gold!

txyaloo

Established Member
Bring some body armor and a chastity belt for your neck.

If you have the time, take the ferry to Cozumel and go snorkeling or on a SNUBA trip. It's worth the time.

S. Jersey Stang

Established Member
BTW, OP, what airline site did you go through?
We have been looking through Expedia and usually have a travel agent just price match.....but if we can find it even $100 cheaper, that would be a huge plus....

Thanks

16kOrBust

Established Member
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm really looking forward to this trip.
BTW, OP, what airline site did you go through?
We have been looking through Expedia and usually have a travel agent just price match.....but if we can find it even $100 cheaper, that would be a huge plus....

Thanks
American Airlines. Expedia was $1,065 per person. Travelocity was $1,009 per person with less appealing but still acceptable flights. American Airlines was $848 per person for those same acceptable flights. I was actually pretty surprised at the differences between all of them (and the others I checked). They're usually fairly consistent across the board.

Last edited:

S. Jersey Stang

Established Member
Sounds good, thanks. I will check it out.

Honestly, whether you like to just chill out, eat, drink, and relax at the resort 90% of the time,
or if you are someone that wants to do everything and keep your day packed with different activities....you will have a great time there.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Sounds good, thanks. I will check it out.

Honestly, whether you like to just chill out, eat, drink, and relax at the resort 90% of the time,
or if you are someone that wants to do everything and keep your day packed with different activities....you will have a great time there.

My girlfriend is more of the former and I am more of the latter, but I do enjoy relaxing a bit in a place like this with the beach and pools. She's graduating from grad school in May right before we go and she works full-time, plus an internship on top of classes, so she's gonna be ready to just chill out and relax on the beach for a week. I'm gonna wanna do anything involving a motor (jetskis, boats, etc), snorkeling and/or scuba diving, and sightseeing, if at all possible.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
Bring some body armor and a chastity belt for your neck.

If you have the time, take the ferry to Cozumel and go snorkeling or on a SNUBA trip. It's worth the time.
federales are packing uzi's down there

do what he said go to cozumel you can rent a golf cart or scooter and drive around the whole island, stop to snorkel at some beautiful spots and get some fresh fish for lunch at a real authentic restaurant with a table right on the beach pretty awesome

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Stay hydrated, beware of local taxis (too many kidnappings for ransom).

Try to speak Spanish; you'll make a lot of friends that way. They appreciate when you try, even if you're not good at it.

mschmoyer

MustangTrends.com
Established Member
Seems like a bad idea when the US is recommending travelers to stay away from Mexico -- even the resort towns. There are perfectly good American islands in the Caribbean. Been to Mexico many times but we're definitely going elsewhere for our honeymoon.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Went to Cancun at the end of 2009, it was a blast. 2 days later someone tried to hijack a plane at the airport. Crazy stuff, I wouldn't go back these days.

Since you're going check out Coba, awesome tours over there - [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coba]Coba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

16kOrBust

Established Member
Well, if you guys don't hear from me by June perhaps you can throw an SVTP posse together to come get me out. There are enough 6'7" 300lb all muscle gun nuts with arsenals on this site to take over that country according to the posts I read on a regular basis. :lol1:

Hockeyman48

Established Member
Just got back 3 weeks ago. No problems at all.Tip well to people working the desk areas and the bar tenders,etc. To see Cozumel you'll have to travel to Playa del Carmen about 30 miles south of Cancun.You can take a ferry to Cozumel from there but plan a full day for this.Take a group buss if you can as its cheaper than a taxi.Some restaurants in downtown Cancun are Perico's and La Parriya (spelling?) to name a couple.Had no problems in downtown Cancun.Have fun!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread