just blew my heads and i need some help

04greengolbin

Established Member
i'm new to having a cobra just bought it a few months ago only had 14,000 miles on it. it has 18,500 on it now. so i just got a full complete color change to it. as i am leaving the paint shop and i get on the freeway a few miles into it i see i big piece of metal shard on the road had no time to avoid it and i really did a number on it. it needs a new inter-cooler, radiator, a/c, blew the heads not sure about the engine yet. so since all this is being done i want to upgrade thing but i don't know where to start. looking for some guidance. not looking to go to crazy maybe a new supercharger, looking for probably around 600-650hp. it has a stock eaton supercharger on it now with i think a k&n cold air intake that is in the fender. a richard racing upper pulley i think it's a 2.950. has 10 series flows stock headers. i'm a rookie to these things please someone guide me in the right direction.

MY DREAM

Established Member
So....how did hiting a metal shard blow your heads?

Before you start throwing mods at the car, you need to know what you want to do with the car. This way you can apply the proper mods. Do you want to drag race it? Do you want to road course race it. Do you want to do Texas/Mojove Mile run it? Or do you just want it to be a weekend racer on the street? Post up what you want from it and then you may get some direction on what is good. Do a little bit of searching on the forum.

James

04greengolbin

Established Member
the coolant busted the car overheated i pulled over my car was smokin. had to put water in it lucky i had a few bottles with me. towed it to the mech shop in the morning and the told me that either my heads are blown or my motor is a done deal. just want a weekend car. still wanna be able to put 91 octane in it

Last edited:

jrichber

browser
Established Member
600 hp isnt hard to achieve. Whipple 2.3 or 2.9 or just go with the TVS 2.3 and supporting mods. Do some searching.

Last edited:

MTBSully

Established Member
sorry to hear that though.

Let this be a lesson to you to always keep an eye on your gauges though. I learned the same way with my 95 z28 a few years back.

badazzebz06

Established Member
U must have driven pretty far after it overheated I busted my inner drive belt but had to get to class 3 miles away limp dicked the car there and back with no power steering and no brakes I didn't keep an eye ony gauges or anything but my water pump seized and I didn't know it well make a long story short I pull in my driveway open the hood and my coolant tank is literally flexing with pressure I opened the cap and got the **** out tha way and coolant waterfalls out my engine blew water pump gasket and all...I basically put 6 very easy miles(rpm max about 2500) my engine is fine...did u redline it? How far did u travel? Does the motor start? Why not try to diagnose it urself first before u throw tons of cash at it? Basically do u trust the shop? Are they only saying this cause they want u to spend money there?

hotcobra03

Established Member
i would get a second opinion first...

i have driven my many times after loosing coolant....

yes many times,,car goes into limp mode..it will shut down before damage...

i live in the middle of nowhere and have limped it home ....

longest limp was cincinnati to san antiono

Last edited:

50q's

Established Member
Second what he said. Take it too another shop, prefer a recommended shop. A lot of cali terminators in here, ask around what is a good shop.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
sorry to hear that though.

Let this be a lesson to you to always keep an eye on your gauges though. I learned the same way with my 95 z28 a few years back.

if all he has are the factory dummy gauges they dont always help. My lightning hit 240 or so before the factory idiot light...i mean temp gauge...even moved. I had my aeroforce monitoring water temp though so I was already off the road and shutting down about the time the factory one moved

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
There is not much that could happen to the head that our cylinder head dept could not fix, likewise with the engine, it may need a simple rebuild and you are good to go. If you like we can have our freight company pick it up and bring it in for a proper diagnosis along with some pictures so that we can show you what it really needs (if anything).

Best of luck with fixing it!

MMR
805 383 4130
Modular Mustang Racing

Last edited:

MY DREAM

Established Member
i would get a second opinion first...

i have driven my many times after loosing coolant....

yes many times,,car goes into limp mode..it will shut down before damage...

i live in the middle of nowhere and have limped it home ....

longest limp was cincinnati to san antiono

Yup, what he said :rockon:

James

hotcobra03

Established Member
bty...how much was paint job?

just the heat exchanger,ac condensor/charge,radiator,could be well over a grand depending on where you shop....

than mods?

04greengolbin

Established Member
U must have driven pretty far after it overheated I busted my inner drive belt but had to get to class 3 miles away limp dicked the car there and back with no power steering and no brakes I didn't keep an eye ony gauges or anything but my water pump seized and I didn't know it well make a long story short I pull in my driveway open the hood and my coolant tank is literally flexing with pressure I opened the cap and got the **** out tha way and coolant waterfalls out my engine blew water pump gasket and all...I basically put 6 very easy miles(rpm max about 2500) my engine is fine...did u redline it? How far did u travel? Does the motor start? Why not try to diagnose it urself first before u throw tons of cash at it? Basically do u trust the shop? Are they only saying this cause they want u to spend money there?

i did drive it about 5 miles it did redline i was trying to coast it down the hill by my house. it shut off but i was almost home so i started it up and it was cool again. but i was not even looking at the gauge b/c my car was making a noise. i do trust the shop its a dealership plus my insurance is covering most of the repairs.

04greengolbin

Established Member
bty...how much was paint job?

just the heat exchanger,ac condensor/charge,radiator,could be well over a grand depending on where you shop....

than mods?

paint didn't cost me much i run a body/paint shop so i did not pay retail. i chop shop the car pretty much. went with a white/green pearl. not really worried about the labor that won't cost me much either.

04greengolbin

Established Member
There is not much that could happen to the head that our cylinder head dept could not fix, likewise with the engine, it may need a simple rebuild and you are good to go. If you like we can have our freight company pick it up and bring it in for a proper diagnosis along with some pictures so that we can show you what it really needs (if anything).

Best of luck with fixing it!

MMR
805 383 4130
Modular Mustang Racing

i can send you some pics if you would like. it did shoot my coolant out of my exhaust thats why i know at least the heads are blown. how much would something like that run me. i want it upgraded, well at least i think i do i'm just lost right now

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
i can send you some pics if you would like. it did shoot my coolant out of my exhaust thats why i know at least the heads are blown. how much would something like that run me. i want it upgraded, well at least i think i do i'm just lost right now

That would be fine, send to [email protected] , we are happy to take a look! :beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Heads don't blow.

Head gaskets blow.

Either way the heads have to come off if you were blowing coolant out the exhaust and that involves pulling the engine.

I would shop the repair around no matter what the actual diagnosis is, to not do so is...:dw:

N/M..

04greengolbin

Established Member
Heads don't blow.

Head gaskets blow.

Either way the heads have to come off if you were blowing coolant out the exhaust and that involves pulling the engine.

I would shop the repair around no matter what the actual diagnosis is, to not do so is...:dw:

N/M..

sry i meant head gaskets are blown. i'm just tryin to see if its worth it do upgrade things now since its all coming apart anyways

Users who are viewing this thread