Just another **budget** 5.4 build

tonewyork89

Wraith
Established Member
Hi guys, just letting you know my 4.6 is done, and my buddy Nick (xXSVTmonsterXx) talked me into a 5.4 build (wasn't much persuasion involved lol). I found a used navi shortblock for CHEAP in great condition that i'm going to be rebuilding, forging if the price is right and dropping B heads onto with high compression. I'm doing this on a very tight budget, hence a budget build. So please don't try and sell me any $2500 intake or $1500 cams etc, or try to talk me out of using the B heads, i have them, i DON'T want c heads, just build advice, Thanks! :burnout:

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Save more money before starting the build. Things always cost way more than expected, especially in builds.

tonewyork89

Wraith
Established Member
It's not that I can't get the money, it's that i don't want to blow the money on all these parts, in some senses doing certain things that I just don't want to do, when I can build a perfectly reliable and powerful engine on a budget, be it more challenging, idc I enjoy a challenge

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
But your gonna wind up nickel and diming the build and bust that budget easily. A 5.4 upgrade involves a ton of extra stuff and in the end, you could have got better performance from a crate engine for less cash based on your current plans.

And with a crate engine, you can be up and running in a matter of hours after delivery.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
It's very possible to build a 5.4 on a budget if you have a navi engine as a starting point. The only think you'll have to do is widen the intake or make some adapters and mod some headers to fit.

The stock cams will make peak power very low in the rpm band, around 5k and drop off as the RPMs climb. The cams will have to be degreed because the stock cam timing is terrible. The cams will need to be installed at 108/116.

With 11:1 compression, B heads, stock cams and intake you'll be in the 335-350rwhp range with some pretty good tq.

Don't mess with head or main studs, they aren't needed and cost a lot. The stock cam chains and gears can be reused. The gaskets are a bit pricey but if you get them from Tousley Ford they'll be a bit cheaper. You can probably do the entire engine build for under $2k (not including the headers).

There's no more "extra stuff" than there is in a 4.6 build. Enjoy!

Last edited:

tonewyork89

Wraith
Established Member
It's very possible to build a 5.4 on a budget if you have a navi engine as a starting point. The only think you'll have to do is widen the intake or make some adapters and mod some headers to fit.

The stock cams will make peak power very low in the rpm band, around 5k and drop off as the RPMs climb. The cams will have to be degreed because the stock cam timing is terrible. The cams will need to be installed at 108/116.

With 11:1 compression, B heads, stock cams and intake you'll be in the 335-350rwhp range with some pretty good tq.

Don't mess with head or main studs, they aren't needed and cost a lot. The stock cam chains and gears can be reused. The gaskets are a bit pricey but if you get them from Tousley Ford they'll be a bit cheaper. You can probably do the entire engine build for under $2k (not including the headers).

There's no more "extra stuff" than there is in a 4.6 build. Enjoy!

I love you man! awesome just the advice i was looking for! :rockon:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I love you man! awesome just the advice i was looking for! :rockon:

I'm all about bang for the buck, if it doesn't add power I won't recommend it.

I've been talking to your friend about his build and have given him a few tips on the 5.4 swap.

Do not use the Navi intake cams, they only have 190 deg duration, the cobra intake cams have 204 deg. The part number of the all 96-98 Cobra intake cams begins with F6ZE.

If you want your peak power to occur near where a stock cobra engine's does, I can get you some custom cams that use stock springs for around $800.

tonewyork89

Wraith
Established Member
I might have a way to install the intake/IMRCs on a 5.4 without widening.

800 is great, def interested, and shoot me a pm and we'll discuss the intake issue further, i was looking at some things myself, ef like to talk engineering with you

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
It's not that I can't get the money, it's that i don't want to blow the money on all these parts, in some senses doing certain things that I just don't want to do, when I can build a perfectly reliable and powerful engine on a budget, be it more challenging, idc I enjoy a challenge

A budget 5.4 build!? You make me sick! Throw your car in the trash. You'll be lucky if you match the output of a stock terminator for the price of just a used blower...or even eclipse one entirely with the right cams. Who wants that? Be a man and drink the Terminator coolaid. BE A MAN and take the EASY way out with a blower. :beer:

Of course I am kidding. But you knew that.
Budget build all the way!!! Did you tell them you got the navi setup for 250 bucks? and fresh 97 Cobra heads for 100?

What's wrong with a budget build everyone? :poke:

tonewyork89

Wraith
Established Member
A budget 5.4 build!? You make me sick! Throw your car in the trash. You'll be lucky if you match the output of a stock terminator for the price of just a used blower...or even eclipse one entirely with the right cams. Who wants that? Be a man and drink the Terminator coolaid. BE A MAN and take the EASY way out with a blower. :beer:

Of course I am kidding. But you knew that.
Budget build all the way!!! Did you tell them you got the navi setup for 250 bucks? and fresh 97 Cobra heads for 100?

What's wrong with a budget build everyone? :poke:

Hahaha, no I did indeed forget to mention that I basically bought a used 4v 5.4 long block for $350 which I'm going to be working on in the next couple of weeks

1996slowbra

Established Member
Subscribing to this thread, I am very interested in doing something similar for myself down the road and would like to see how this will turn out for you.

tonewyork89

Wraith
Established Member
Subscribing to this thread, I am very interested in doing something similar for myself down the road and would like to see how this will turn out for you.

awesome will definitely keep this up to date, currently working with na svt to sort out some issues, he's the guy to go to with most tech questions in my opinion for a build like this

Users who are viewing this thread