Just an FYI, when you load a tune with your SCT, make sure the firmware is updated.

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member
I had a really expensive paperweight for most of today.

J.R @ SCT really helped out with the troubleshooting. Great customer service!

Thanks! :beer:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Ya i had the same problem to when i loaded a new tune up, my car was down for 2 days, but SCT helped a lot and got my car running. They have great customer service.

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member
How is it great customer service when this keeps happening to people for months on end? How about fix the product so it doesn't do this, I'd call that better customer service.

I hadn't updated the software since I recieved the tuner in 2010.

They addressed the problem on their website and released an update back in March I believe when it started happening.

I just never looked.

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member

Did it run at all? What was it doing?

All of your idiot lights come on, and your car WILL NOT start.

You either had to update your tuner with the newest firmware/tune version, or , if that didn't work, you have to send SCT your stock tune file and they'll send you a recovery file that will fix your ECU.

It had something to do with older firmware versions. They fixed it a while ago, but for those who neglected to update their tuner for months(like me), this is a possibility.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've seen this happen more than once. The safe thing to do is just make sure have the latest update before tuning.

ViciousJay

Established Member
All of your idiot lights come on, and your car WILL NOT start.

You either had to update your tuner with the newest firmware/tune version, or , if that didn't work, you have to send SCT your stock tune file and they'll send you a recovery file that will fix your ECU.

It had something to do with older firmware versions. They fixed it a while ago, but for those who neglected to update their tuner for months(like me), this is a possibility.

all of this from not updating? Why do you need to update in the first place?

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member
all of this from not updating? Why do you need to update in the first place?

My guess that the dealers who write tunes for these cars are probably doing so for the most up-to-date firmware and tune versions.

If you recieve a tune written for firmware 2.0 and try to load it using firmware 1.5, you might have problems with file corruption and what not.

It's not so different from personal computers.

Download new software designed to run on X and you have Y, there could be conflicts.

Saw on anotger forum where a member loaded a new tune out in the country and ended up having it towed to a Ford dealership. From what I remember, he had to buy a new PCM which locked out his SCT until he paid the $150 to have it unlocked.

Last edited:

nocobrafornow

Established Member
Jay come on man, it's software. just like pcm's need updates as the manufacture finds ways to make things better or you update a phone or even a ps3.

SicShelby09

Banned
I know sct always says you need to put your tuner back to factory before you do the firmware update, but I wonder what will happen if you try to do the update to the tuner when its locked to a car? I have a locked one that I cant use because the car is gone. I wonder if I try to update it, will it reset the tuner so it can be used again?

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member
I know sct always says you need to put your tuner back to factory before you do the firmware update, but I wonder what will happen if you try to do the update to the tuner when its locked to a car? I have a locked one that I cant use because the car is gone. I wonder if I try to update it, will it reset the tuner so it can be used again?

I don't think It will unlock it.

After I did the update, everything on the tuner still stayed the same.

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member
So when you did your update, the SCT tune was still on the car?

The update had nothing to do with the car. You use SCT's desktop software to automatically check for updates and it uploads the new firmware to your device.

Updating your SCT device has nothing to do with your car.

In my case, I had to have a special file written to unf*ck my ECU to allow it to recognize my tuner again because I tried to load a new tune with an old firmware version.

That is different from just updating the tuner, which I should have done before trying to load my new tune.

Last edited:

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
The update had nothing to do with the car. You use SCT's desktop software to automatically check for updates and it uploads the new firmware to your device.

Updating your SCT device has nothing to do with your car.

In my case, I had to have a special file written to unf*ck my ECU to allow it to recognize my tuner again because I tried to load a new tune with an old firmware version.

That is different from just updating the tuner, which I should have done before trying to load my new tune.

But before it updates the tuner it prompts you to return your car to stock calibration.

Sicshelby is asking if you returned your car to stock calibration before you updated the firmware on your tuner or if you updated the firmware without returning the car to stock calibration.

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member
But before it updates the tuner it prompts you to return your car to stock calibration.

Sicshelby is asking if you returned your car to stock calibration before you updated the firmware on your tuner or if you updated the firmware without returning the car to stock calibration.

I couldn't return my car to stock because I was locked out of my ECU, so yes, I updated the tuner before I returned it back to stock.

I updated my tuner, loaded the stock file SCT sent me, returned my car back to stock, then loaded my Lund tune. Everything worked perfectly.

I hope I made sense that time.

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
I couldn't return my car to stock because I was locked out of my ECU, so yes, I updated the tuner before I returned it back to stock.

I updated my tuner, loaded the stock file SCT sent me, returned my car back to stock, then loaded my Lund tune. Everything worked perfectly.

I hope I made sense that time.

Yeah, that was exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks man. So much for my theory.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread