Jury Duty

Ohio Snake

Established Member
jury of one's peers.

n. a guaranteed right of criminal defendants, in which "peer" means an "equal." This has been interpreted by courts to mean that the available jurors include a broad spectrum of the population, particularly of race, national origin and gender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
So when the camera footage and dna and eyewitness testimony implicate the accused I am his peer?
So are you saying that only convicted murderers should be able to be jurors for murder trials? What about rapists? Should we further differentiate between sub classes? Gang rapists for gang rapists and child rapists for child rapists? What if the defendant is found to be innocent? The jurors, as convicted criminals, are no longer the their peers. Should we then hold a second trial with non-convicted jurors?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
So when the camera footage and dna and eyewitness testimony implicate the accused I am his peer?
Even if the accused is a murderer, you are still a peer as determined by selection. You don't have to be a criminal to be the peer of a criminal.

An example can be found in the classroom. Autistic, advanced, and average students in the same class or grade are peers. There are many different personalities and activities within that group, but they are all peers.

We are all peers on SVTP as a forum group, yet we are all over the Country, and have different lifestyles.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

VegasMichael

Established Member
So are you saying that only convicted murderers should be able to be jurors for murder trials? What about rapists? Should we further differentiate between sub classes? Gang rapists for gang rapists and child rapists for child rapists? What if the defendant is found to be innocent? The jurors, as convicted criminals, are no longer the their peers. Should we then hold a second trial with non-convicted jurors?
But convicted murderers are not always guilty. Which is why I like the Innocent Project. I'm saying the whole thing doesn't make sense and I don't have a solution.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
jury of one's peers.

n. a guaranteed right of criminal defendants, in which "peer" means an "equal." This has been interpreted by courts to mean that the available jurors include a broad spectrum of the population, particularly of race, national origin and gender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you. There is no way I could look that up tonight.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
But convicted murderers are not always guilty. Which is why I like the Innocent Project. I'm saying the whole thing doesn't make sense and I don't have a solution.
Again, you're putting more thought into this than you need to. At the moment you are ahead of where you should be. At this point a judgement shouldn't be in a juror's mind. The case has yet to be argued.

o2gt

Established Member
I have to say as someone who stands in front of people many times a year to pick a jury I'm happy to see how most of you think. Its not a perfect system but I dont know of a better way to do it. Its frustrating to hear people complain so much that they have been called to come in. I understand some people really have things going on in life that prevents them from serving. But I always go back and think would you not want fair people to hear your case. we all enjoy the benefits of the system every day so sometimes your need to give a bit of your time to help make it work.

FJohnny

Established Member
I gotta say I'm with VegasMichael on this one. If the cops went to all that trouble to charge and the court shows up on time, I'm going to do my part and convict the guilty prick.

Before you correct me and tell me that's not what he said just look within and realize it's what we all are thinking. We would all make great peers. Even those of us who have not committed murder yet.

And yes, weed is now legal here.

o2gt

Established Member
I gotta say I'm with VegasMichael on this one. If the cops went to all that trouble to charge and the court shows up on time, I'm going to do my part and convict the guilty prick.

Before you correct me and tell me that's not what he said just look within and realize it's what we all are thinking. We would all make great peers. Even those of us who have not committed murder yet.

I think that’s fair. In fact I always tell my panels it’s ok to wonder why the defendant is sitting in that chair. But if your picked you owe it to him the state and the whole system to put that aside. Yes I will tell you their guilty but if I don’t prove each element then you can’t find the guilty.

I think most are far more willing to go not guilty if there are question. When people get in that jury box for the most part a new reality sets in. They are no longer talking in hypotheticals. This is both good and bad. One can only hope you get people who will follow the law and tell the truth before they get picked.

_Snake_

Established Member
I think that’s fair. In fact I always tell my panels it’s ok to wonder why the defendant is sitting in that chair. But if your picked you owe it to him the state and the whole system to put that aside. Yes I will tell you their guilty but if I don’t prove each element then you can’t find the guilty.

I think most are far more willing to go not guilty if there are question. When people get in that jury box for the most part a new reality sets in. They are no longer talking in hypotheticals. This is both good and bad. One can only hope you get people who will follow the law and tell the truth before they get picked.

You’re on the prosecution side?

FJohnny

Established Member
I saw the toll it took on my wife when she was a juror in a spectacular murder trial here. Yes, it got very real for her. Huge traumatic emotional and mental cost.

And yes, it is our duty to step up and do a good job if and when called upon.

o2gt

Established Member
I saw the toll it took on my wife when she was a juror in a spectacular murder trial here. Yes, it got very real for her. Huge traumatic emotional and mental cost.

And yes, it is our duty to step up and do a good job if and when called upon.
I’m truly sorry it was hard for her. It’s something I worry about when presenting things. I often think I sure would not want my mom or Dad seeing this stuff. My wife at times has to tell me to stop taking because without realizing I’m talking about how someone killed their baby or did something else horrific.

It’s clear you understand the duty and importance. Thank you

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

The police are not always right. Mistakes are made, and the police are human. An arrest does not mean you're guilty. The officer detaining you may have a suspicion of guilt (warrent, probable cause, suspicion of DUI/DWI, etc), but they are not the defining factor that decides your fate. After an arrest a police officer is nothing more than a witness.

Users who are viewing this thread