Jury Duty

VegasMichael

Established Member
Got the letter in the mail last week. It's been over 10 years since I was called. They wanted me for November 2 but that was not going to work so I postponed until January 2 since I have that whole week off. I am a teacher and strangely, many school district employees have been called the past two months for some reason. Anyway, it got me to thinking, what are the pros and cons of having professional jurors? People that actually do it for a living.

Established Member
My stance is "jury of your peers". Cant get that with professional jurors. Last one I did, Wound up in a coroners inquest? Anyway, as a citizen I learned something, and I'm sure there was a pretty unbiased pool that had to agree that what we saw was accurate, even in layman's eyes. Don't really know what I'm allowed to discuss, but it was all about dead people and how they died, so you had to have reason and a solid stomach. Several people asked pointed questions as to how conclusions were reached. Wouldn't want to give that up.

VegasMichael

Established Member
My stance is "jury of your peers". Cant get that with professional jurors. Last one I did, Wound up in a coroners inquest? Anyway, as a citizen I learned something, and I'm sure there was a pretty unbiased pool that had to agree that what we saw was accurate, even in layman's eyes. Don't really know what I'm allowed to discuss, but it was all about dead people and how they died, so you had to have reason and a solid stomach. Several people asked pointed questions as to how conclusions were reached. Wouldn't want to give that up.
I hear you on the can't get the jury of your peers thing with professional jurors but if I'm chosen to serve on a murder case I assure you I'm not a murderer so how am I the accused's peer?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I live an odd life. I know several attorneys, and a couple judges. I have been known to spend time watching trials.

As an American citizen it should be considered an honor to be a part of our justice system. Most see the time as a burden.

In my area judges have gotten extremely strict on excuses people use to escape jury duty. Being a teacher, an MD, or other profession rarely gives them a pass.

Most of the judges in a four county area here know who I am. Most excuse me, even if I plan to sit through the trial. As a pastor and a counselor I am known by many. This always throws me out as being biased towards something.

Even after spending almost 10 years as a professional music producer and engineer, I still counsel, consult, and officiate the occasional wedding and funeral. As far as the court is concerned I am an ordained minister regardless of how I make a living.

I have never known anyone that could be considered a professional juror.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Jury duty while inconvenient is one of the most important things we can do. When we are rounded up for conspiracy to commit acts of terrorism against the planet for not recycling it'll be left up to a jury to determine our guilt. We should all be familiar with the concept of jury nullification.

o2gt

Established Member
I'm not aware of any places in this country that have professional jurors.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I hear you on the can't get the jury of your peers thing with professional jurors but if I'm chosen to serve on a murder case I assure you I'm not a murderer so how am I the accused's peer?

Holy shit are you really a teacher? You are making the assumption one is guilty and therefore not a peer. We are innocent until proven guilty. The burden of proof is on the prosecution.

Established Member
Wow, you made the jump from being accused of murder, to being a murderer because you were accused. Don't think I would want you on my jury.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Holy shit are you really a teacher? You are making the assumption one is guilty and therefore not a peer. We are innocent until proven guilty. The burden of proof is on the prosecution.
How the heck did you come up with that?

VegasMichael

Established Member
What does teaching third grade math have to do with jury duty questions?

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
You said that you could not possibly be the defendant's peer because you are not a murderer. This implies that the defendant IS a murderer. As a juror, you are there to listen to the evidence and testimony and decide one way or another. It sounds like you have already made up your mind in this hypothetical situation.

VegasMichael

Established Member
You said that you could not possibly be the defendant's peer because you are not a murderer. This implies that the defendant IS a murderer. As a juror, you are there to listen to the evidence and testimony and decide one way or another. It sounds like you have already made up your mind in this hypothetical situation.
So when the camera footage and dna and eyewitness testimony implicate the accused I am his peer?

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I’m 24 and have been called for jury duty 3 god damn times. I can’t stand it. I guess years ago you could claim to be bias depending on what the crime is. Doesn’t seem to work like that anymore.

VegasMichael

Established Member
If the accused is innocent, he’s not a murderer. Thus your peer.

You made a leap, unintentionally I believe.
True. But if I am an uncaught murderer and the accused is innocent, I am not his peer. This shit messes with your mind.

Last edited:

_Snake_

Established Member
I’m 24 and have been called for jury duty 3 god damn times. I can’t stand it. I guess years ago you could claim to be bias depending on what the crime is. Doesn’t seem to work like that anymore.

I watched a potential juror fly off the handle about how much he hated lawyers. “If I knew you were a lawyer and saw you in a crosswalk, I’d try to run you down!”

For some reason he was smiling as he was walking out after being dismissed.

Users who are viewing this thread