Jumping the pump doesn't work

Stalker27

Established Member
Having a lil issue with my intercooler pump I think. A week ago I noticed my pump didn't come on so I went to Lowes to get a piece of 12g wire to jump the pump. In the parking lot of Lowes I touched the relay and it came on. The cover for the relay was off so I was touching the actual relay underneath the cover. Well it came on without even jumping the pump. Been checking it periodically to make sure was running and was until today.

Here's the strange part. The pump was off today but when it was running the pump was pushing water damn good. Car has 86k miles on it and I'm sure this is the stock pump but I have taken it apart and cleaned once before at around 80k miles. I went to jump the pump today and nothing happened. No sound no pump running no nothing. Just dead water. Does this officially mean the pump is dead? If so it's ok I have a spare sitting right beside me with only 30k miles that I just took apart and cleaned. Need a lil feedback on this. Thanx in advance

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
More than likely toast, but give the pump a smack with the jumper wire in and see if it turns on.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
my stocker didnt last a whole lot longer, after i took it apart and cleaned it either. mine ended up finally giving out a few weeks ago, so i went ahead and just ordered a new one. i was amazed at how well a new pump flows. i thought my old pump flowed REAL good after cleaning it out several months ago....but thats b/c i hadnt seen a brand new one flow. ordered a new one and installed it, and couldnt believe how well the fluid was circulating. the first thing it made me think of was looking into a hotub/jacuzzi with the bubble/jets on full blast haha.

once you get that other pump put on, im sure all your troubles will go away. hopefully it works good as new! =]

Stalker27

Established Member
Hope so, the one goin on has 30k miles on it and it did have some junk on the inside but wasn't too bad. Once this one dies I'll buy a new one. I'll be doing it sat most likely and keep u guys updated

my stocker didnt last a whole lot longer, after i took it apart and cleaned it either. mine ended up finally giving out a few weeks ago, so i went ahead and just ordered a new one. i was amazed at how well a new pump flows. i thought my old pump flowed REAL good after cleaning it out several months ago....but thats b/c i hadnt seen a brand new one flow. ordered a new one and installed it, and couldnt believe how well the fluid was circulating. the first thing it made me think of was looking into a hotub/jacuzzi with the bubble/jets on full blast haha.

once you get that other pump put on, im sure all your troubles will go away. hopefully it works good as new! =]

These pumps really are disappointing. I had one that I only put 9,000 miles on over a 2 year period and was pumping very weakly by the end of the 2nd year. Even when cleaning these pumps they don't pump that much stronger.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
^ exactly. up until i installed this brand new pump a few weeks ago, all i had ever seen was my weak ass pump (bout the car used over 3 years ago), and after cleaning it, i THOUGHT it was flowing great (err well...much better than it was before the cleaning)....but after installing a brand new one, i was like HOLY SHIT! lol i had no idea they could flow that/so good. too bad it doesnt last longer. =/

SVTDice

Established Member
Yeah my pump is kicking the bucket too. I cleaned it and it helped a bit but its dying slowly on me again. Instead of the Bosch I'm planning on getting the Jabsco pump, Its a little bit more money but I honestly think its worth it. The lightening guys have had great success with it! I'll post the link below but let me know what you guys think of doing it, I'm really leaning towards it.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/838138-jabsco-ic-pump.html

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
^ that jabsco pump looks heavy duty, that is for sure. seems like a lot of work to get it to fit right. had to cut/modify fender, etc...and said it took some pretty serious tools to do. im sure the end result is much better, and will last longer...but for me personally i will pay the $90 for a new bosch pump, and the ten minutes it takes to swap out replace. guess that means im cheap and lazy. haha. =]~

Users who are viewing this thread