JPC Line lock install - JLT intake

Maxpowers

Established Member
Just finished up putting in the JPC line lock, and realized my JLT head shield won't fit. The bottom of the shield was resting on the frame right were the line lock solenoid is. Has anyone ran into this?

I'm thinking of modifying the bottom of the heat shield to make it work. Either that or yank the shield out and run without it. Ideas?

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I'd keep the heat shield and just modify it. Try to find some rubber lining or rubber tubing, cut down the middle, to finish of the edges so it doesn't scratch anything up.

Shelby_SVT_2012

Established Member
Where did you mount it that it's interfering with the heat shield? Mine is nowhere close to the heat shield? Either relocate the solenoid or do as phantomhalo stated, modify the heat shield. Here's a photo of where I mounted mine. Not my photo, but it's mounted in the same spot. linelock3.jpg

deepblue13

Established Member
Mine is in the same place as above and does not hit the bottom of the heat shield.

Maxpowers

Established Member
It has to be mounted in the same spot, as I used the supplied brake lines. I think my shield is set up to pinch between the frame rail and the hood to make a good seal. I attached a few pics to show what I'm talking about. I guess I'm just going to trim a few inches off the bottom.

y4QXJxe.jpg
S5Ysy6s.jpg
fGuGo7E.jpg

Maxpowers

Established Member
So I started cutting....

IslpMO8.jpg
F7aEZlD.jpg
aJElSTU.jpg

It is not touching the solenoid or lines, but it's close. Anyone have an objection?

Still going to file off the rough edges.

Last edited:

sleek98

Established Member
There must be 2 different heat shields out there for the JLT. mine has a bottom and rests on the flat part with the two large holes on it. so it is completely sealed off from the bottom.

Maxpowers

Established Member
Older design from JLT? Mine is flat on the bottom as well.

There must be 2 different heat shields out there for the JLT. mine has a bottom and rests on the flat part with the two large holes on it. so it is completely sealed off from the bottom.

I'd have to guess there. The intake was already on the car when I bought it. The SRI is JLT, but there's no markings on the shield.

I added a second "arming" switch under the dash for the line lock. Then wired in a push button, which I plan to tuck back under the cup holders when not in use. Will be completely out of sight when not in use. If anyone wants pics I can take some.

I really prefer to keep my hand on the shifter when doing a burnout / staging the tree. I normally rest my hand on the shifter ball while having the button in my hand.

Last edited:

sleek98

Established Member
I'd have to guess there. The intake was already on the car when I bought it. The SRI is JLT, but there's no markings on the shield.

I added a second "arming" switch under the dash for the line lock. Then wired in a push button, which I plan to tuck back under the cup holders when not in use. Will be completely out of sight when not in use. If anyone wants pics I can take some.

Would be interested in seeing where you have them mounted.

Maxpowers

Established Member
Would be interested in seeing where you have them mounted.

The "arming" switch isn't actually mounted. The wires are zip tied into place. I couldn't find a good place to mount it without drilling holes.

The button isn't mounted anywhere. The wires are long enough to reach the shifter from the console area.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Shelby_SVT_2012

Established Member

I really prefer to keep my hand on the shifter when doing a burnout / staging the tree. I normally rest my hand on the shifter ball while having the button in my hand.

If the heat shield isn't touching the lines or solenoid I think you should be fine. If you prefer to keep your hand on the shifter while performing a burnout, why don't you wire it to one of these?
Snapchat-6244874202013198974.jpg
I ordered this shift knob from speeddawg.com It worked with the line lock kit and is a great quality shift knob.

Maxpowers

Established Member
If the heat shield isn't touching the lines or solenoid I think you should be fine. If you prefer to keep your hand on the shifter while performing a burnout, why don't you wire it to one of these?
View attachment 74213
I ordered this shift knob from speeddawg.com It worked with the line lock kit and is a great quality shift knob.

I've seen those and actually bought one for my dad's old Comet Cyclone. I don't like how the wire is run down the side of the shifter. I don't like making permanent modifications like cutting and drilling, unless it can be hidden. I'd want to drill a hole in the shift boot for that wire.

Those are ideal though. I may end up getting one and finding a way to do a clean install without cutting.

Last edited:

Shelby_SVT_2012

Established Member
I've seen those and actually bought one for my dad's old Comet Cyclone. I don't like how the wire is run down the side of the shifter. I don't like making permanent modifications like cutting and drilling, unless it can be hidden. I'd want to drill a hole in the shift boot for that wire.

Those are ideal though. I may end up getting one and finding a way to do a clean install without cutting.

Yeah I know what you mean. The visible wire is the only thing I dislike about it too. If you ever end up doing this mod, let me know because I'd like to know how you end up hiding it!

Maxpowers

Established Member
Here's how I ran my wires. I got rid of the red wires under the hood and used some black I had:
q2gKiq1.jpg
oMxVpFh.jpg
6D4htZQ.jpg
iv8lpOU.jpg

I used the switch under the dash so I could throw the button switch under the cup holders and not worry about it getting pushed in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread