Joys of Kidney Stones

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
As Im reading this thread I hear my co-worker let out an agonizing sound. I go check on him and he said hes fine and hes just trying to pass a kidney stone. He said its hereditary and its happened to him 4 times so far. hes 28.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I passed mine luckily...it was tiny stone but holy shit it got my attention, damn near ripped to urinal off from the wall

bigmoose

Established Member
That cost is crazy. I had my appendix out 4 years ago. Same pain as you, went to the ER and they sent me in for surgery. Two nights in the hospital. With everything the total cost to my insurance company was only around $3k. And that was the amount billed! This was also a well known Boston hospital. The surgeon said she does probably 2 appendix a shift, so needless to say it went perfect.

Machdup1

Established Member
Ive had three bouts with the little bastards. First time I was working a late night dealing with a problem and I couldnt stop until I was done. Had to deal with it four a couple hours. Hurt worse than being stabbed in the face with a spoon (during my misspent youth). Went to the ER and they gave me Morphine, that took the edge off nicely.

@RDJ, dealing with that on a flight had to be brutal.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Glad you're feeling better. I can only imagine how horrible that was to go through. A friend of ours had a kidney stone and she was in such horrific pain.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
You guys that have or have had kidney stones, was it what you ate or drank?
I drink soda maybe once or twice a week. Used to drink a lot of low cal or 0 cal monsters. Cut that down to 1-2 a week. Never was a fan of carbonated drinks anyways.
Hope I never experience what you guys have!!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I had one years ago, and don't ever want to go through it again. I was drinking a lot of Arizona Iced Tea back then and was told it can help cause it. I doubt it's true.
I've been drinking mostly water ever since though.

My friend actually wrote a song about it and everything. "Kidneystoner"

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Tea has high levels of oxalate which is a chemical that can lead to the formation of kidney stones. The reason why you'll usually hear about iced tea as opposed to hot tea is because people often don't consume hot tea in the same quantity or frequency. Drinking a lot of soda or sugary soft drinks and not enough water will certainly cause problems.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
How does one differentiate between a kidney stone and perhaps gas or an extended pain?

Oh, you'll know dude. I hope you never have to! Mine occurred during the 2016 NBA Finals, game 7. I was watching at my apartment with my girlfriend and had discomfort in my lower back (right kidney). By the half I was getting up and walking around, sitting back down, trying to get comfortable but couldn't the pain was getting hotter and more intense. During the third quarter I told her if it gets any worse I'll need her to drive me to the hospital and by the 4th quarter I was vomiting from the intensity of the pain and she drove me to the ER. I honestly thought I maybe my appendix burst or my kidney was failing I was freaked the f out lol.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I had my appendix minutes from bursting and that was excruciating pain. I cant imagine a kidney stone. Women who I know that have had them say its worse than child birth.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Oh, you'll know dude. I hope you never have to! Mine occurred during the 2016 NBA Finals, game 7. I was watching at my apartment with my girlfriend and had discomfort in my lower back (right kidney). By the half I was getting up and walking around, sitting back down, trying to get comfortable but couldn't the pain was getting hotter and more intense. During the third quarter I told her if it gets any worse I'll need her to drive me to the hospital and by the 4th quarter I was vomiting from the intensity of the pain and she drove me to the ER. I honestly thought I maybe my appendix burst or my kidney was failing I was freaked the f out lol.

My fiance found me on the floor of the bathroom curled up in the fetal position. I have a very high pain tolerance, and this was excrutiating. Had to have her drive me to the ER, I was kicking the windshield in the car as she was driving. First thing they did at the ER was give me Morphine.

El_Joker

Established Member
You guys that have or have had kidney stones, was it what you ate or drank?

There are 3-4 types of kidney stones, so that is where things get complicated. The most common is calcium (I believe) and has lots to do with dehydration.

In my case there was no family history and I followed a pretty strict diet. Once I moved to FL I was always fighting dehydration so I think it is a big cause, or at least I hope.

My urologist gave me a source that will send you a jug and you basically piss it in for a day and then send it back for labs. Guess it helps know if there are any fragments left (mine was laser removed) and to help analyze the cause.

It sucks knowing I still have one left in each kidney, but since they were small, there was no action taken other than being told to drink tons of water.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen

I had exactly the same experience, right side kidney pain that grew to debilitating levels within 10 minutes. No way to alleviate, throwing up every 10-15 minutes, ****ing horrible. Wife is a nurse so she made me get in the car and took me to the ER. CT showed a little 1-2 mm stone got hung up in the ureter and was blocking the flow from the kidney. Some morphine and dilaudid made the pain go away in about 3 minutes, amazing stuff!

Doc said stay away from tea and soft drinks (we had just moved so my intake had increased to at least 1 a day and not enough water).

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

spectreman

Established Member
In my case, we believe dehydration caused the issue. No personal or family history of stones, ever. Lots of summertime heavy lifitng routines, not enough water. My lesson learned and thank you, Lord, never had one since.

My experience came as quite a shock to me. I'm getting ready for bed one night, go to take my last pee of the night when I notice it's all blood.

"Uh, hon," I said, "I think I've got a problem."

The wife is a nurse practitioner and asks for other symptoms. I tell her "none" & she sez, "Come to bed, we'll know more in about 2-3 hrs."

Sure as heck, 2 hrs. later I'm in excruciating pain, like someone has shoved a knife in my lower back. She tells me it's kidney stones, to get dressed and we're going to the ER. I tell her I'm gonna try and sleep through it. She sez, "Yeah, sure, you do that."

Of course, she knew better and w/in 10m, I was in agony. I told her I'd drive myself to the ER & she laughed, told me, "No way." Off to the ER.

Good thing she drove cuz I nearly passed out on the way. Had to stop & puke once. I was diagnosed quickly in the ER. The doc came in and tapped my kidney area and I nearly jumped outta my skin.

Thankfully it passed naturally but I had another bout of stones several months later, most likely a leftover that had been forming at the same time as the original. But I was in Denver at the time attending a conference, not home, when it struck in the night, so I just gutted my way through it cuz I had a 0600 flight. That was brutal.

I had a buddy who used to suffer w/these things infequently and I laughed at him for it. What an idiot I was- wouldn't wish kidney stones on my worst enemy.
Lee

CV355

_
Established Member
Ouch- stones are no joke! And as for the cost of anything medical these days, it's mainly due to the cat & mouse game between hospitals and insurance companies. I used to work in the medical device industry, so I know what certain things actually cost and are sold at.

Insurance companies try to minimize what they're paying out, which often leaves the hospitals upside down by affecting cash flow. In return, the hospitals have to charge more so that what funds they do receive can cover deficits elsewhere. Reduced state funding and enforced treatment of non-payers further affects the hospital's cash flow. Believe it or not, but the manufacturing side is not the culprit. Sure they make good profits, but a $12 device turns into $5000 when it's used in the hospital. My wife got charged $1200 for a bag of saline water that likely cost $3 to manufacture. Do you think the hospital buys the water at $1200ea? Nope.

As for the stone... I don't have any advice there except not to delay treatment. Best of luck!

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
OP.....

I went through the same ordeal as you. Kidney stone had to be surgery removed. I was in the hospital for 4 days and recovered.

However, I was active duty Army, so my cost was $0.00

Users who are viewing this thread