Joining the Military Questions

Sap

Established Member
I know a lot of people here are or were members of the military so I wanted to ask a few questions.

Background: I'm 29, been working in IT Security/computers for 13 years and am burned out, expert in Computer security, Network Admin, etc. I have a felony for computer hacking from 5 years ago on my record.

First off, since I'm older and have a record am I even a candidate for the military? I believe I'm too old to join the marines, what branch would be a good choice? The Air force seems to have many jobs related to my abilities, but I don't think I can get a security clearance with my record?

What are the chances of actually getting the job you choose when you sign up? If its in your contract can they choose not to assign it to you?

Thanks any input is appreciated, Happy new years!

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I am prior Air Force and when I went in if there was a particular job you wanted you had to wait for it become available and then you could go in with a gaurantee that you would get that job. Personally, I'd never enlist without having a gauranteed job because you could get stuck with anything. I know there is an age cutoff but I cant remember what it is but I think its around 30-32. There was a guy in basic training with me who was 29. Joining the Air Force was the best decision I ever made. Did 4 years and got out. 4 months after getting out I got a Department of Defense job in the same career field making double what the AF paid me.

Last edited:

Sap

Established Member
Thanks for the response, but I guess the Air force wont take me with my record, that's the word on a Google search. Guess I need to look at some other branch.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Theres a military section for this. And the felony is more than likely a deal breaker. You can get in the Army with misdemeanor using a wavier. But as for being a felon I doubt its going to happen, right now our numbers are through the roof due to the shitty economy. More people are joining so there isn't as big of a need to recruit, which means little or no waivers. Your best bet would be to go talk to some recruiters in your area.

Sap

Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys, maybe I'll stick with the 9-5 for now...

Mods please move to the military section, I was unaware there was one despite it being right in front of my face.... :bored:

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Yup, pretty sure you are barred from all federal employment with a felony on your record.

-Eric

TORQJNKY

Check out this link on Military.com - Joining the Military - Military.com

Max age: Active Duty Army (42), Active Duty Navy (34), Active Duty Air Force (27), Active Duty Marines (28). With your background, you would be best suited for Navy since you meet the age requirement.

Quoted directly from Military.com

"Law Disqualifications:

Each applicant must meet rigorous moral character standards. In addition to the initial screening by the recruiter, an interview covering each applicant's background is conducted at the MEPS. For some individuals, a financial credit check and/or a computerized search for a criminal record is conducted. Some types of criminal activity are clearly disqualifying; other cases require a waiver, wherein the Service examines the applicant's circumstances and makes an individual determination of qualification. Moreover, applicants with existing financial problems are not likely to overcome those difficulties on junior enlisted pay. Consequently, credit histories may be considered as part of the enlistment decision.

Basically, the more you do and/or the more severe the crimes, the less likely you will be able to get in. If you are looking for a job with a high-level security clearance, any crimes whatsoever are bad news. As for credit trouble, avoid it: you will not be making tons of money in the military (at first anyway)!

Legal and financial events in your past can be waivered, but you need to mention them to your recruiter! Remember, there is no penalty for talking about your past with a recruiter. Things are always kept confidential. Read on to find out more about how run-ins with the law can affect your joining the military.

Here is what the military officially has to say about moral standards of enlistment:

* Persons convicted of felonies may request a waiver to permit their enlistment. The waiver procedure is not automatic, and approval is based on each individual case. One of the considerations in determining whether a waiver will be granted is the individual's ability to adjust successfully to civilian life for a period of time following his or her release from judicial control.

*In processing waiver requests, the Military Services shall require information about the "who, what, when, where, and why" of the offense in question; and a number of letters of recommendation attesting to the applicant's character or suitability for enlistment. Such letters must be from responsible community leaders such as school officials, ministers, and law enforcement officials."

Felony/DUI/DWI/convictions/dispositions

A waiver is required for any applicant who has--

1. Received a conviction or other adverse disposition for a felony offense.
2. Received two convictions or adverse dispositions for driving while intoxicated, under the influence, or while impaired due to substance abuse, alcohol, drugs, or any other condition that affected judgment or driving ability. Consider without regard to technical/legal definition or term used by the State, county, or country in which the applicant committed the offense.
3. Applicants who have entered a plea of "Nolo Contendere" that was accepted by the court despite later processing in the same case to permit dismissal, expungement, amnesty, pardon, or clemency based on any of the following are considered to have a conviction:
Absence of later violations.
Evidence of rehabilitation.
Satisfactory completion of a period probation or parole.

Last edited:

CPRsm

Like above, it's a case by case. If you hide it,and they find out.....yanked out of boot camp, or dishonorably discharged if you get that far. Some are worse than others. Selling drugs is a deal breaker. If you admit it, or a misdemeanor, it was a no no flat out, no questions asked when I joined. I get it from the horse's mouth to make sure before changing a life decision from interweb info. Sorry guys.

AlanSVT

Established Member
Honestly your best bet is to just talk to a recruiter. I know during the height of the war you would have had a chance. Good luck

txyaloo

Established Member
You're not going to get any job requiring a security clearance or access to sensitive networks with that conviction. If you're ok with the job limitations that come with that, and realize you won't be doing IT work, then you should pursue it.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Join an intelligence agencies front company and hack the Chinese or Iran!

Rochard

Established Member
You're not going to get any job requiring a security clearance or access to sensitive networks with that conviction. If you're ok with the job limitations that come with that, and realize you won't be doing IT work, then you should pursue it.

If he's not going to be doing IT, what's the point? But I agree with you, with a felony on his record for hacking they'll never let him in.

And if your burnt out after 13 years of IT what makes you think you can handle the military?

Users who are viewing this thread