Joined Marines..need PT advice.

semperfimrn1

Established Member
register over at leatherneck.com

i have the same user name over there as here

take a look in the POOLEE section. some good stuff there for you to learn through experiences of others

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I disagree with this. The back muscles that are gained by doing a wide bar overhand pull ups are not easily lost. If you build those muscles up to the point where you can do 20 of those in that manner then when you tire out you can switch grips to underhand and bust out a few more. This is what I did before boot camp and that is even what the drill instructors recommended to do as well. Out of boot camp I could do 27 with about 24 of them overhand. Since then I haven't really continued doing pull ups regularly but 20 overhand is still easy because the muscles that you build up in your back from it do not go away easily.

See below..

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I agree with svtfocus, I went through boot and about a year at my first unit doing 10-14 underhand pullups but could never increase. I switched to overhand and while initially doing less, I built up to 20 in no time. Doing them overhand built up muscles that dont go away as quickly as arm muscles, and once you nail them down they're much easier to do(plus they look better!).

Either way, you can get up to 20 and keep it once you get there with minimal effort.

Yeah- I said it wrong- to want to do pullups (palms facing away from you)

boduke0220

Established Member
register over at leatherneck.com

i have the same user name over there as here

take a look in the POOLEE section. some good stuff there for you to learn through experiences of others

I think ive seen you post, Mine is Tbrown10. I posted the workout over there but everyone said i was overtraining.

Rochard

Established Member
I got together with a Marine buddy last weekend, and he commented to me how he had problems with the runs in boot camp (PI). I mentioned that I never had any problems with the runs, and thought they were easy. On the way home it hit me like a rock - I was in track all through high school, and also cross country. I ran every day all through high school no matter what the weather, including freezing temps and snow, which made the stuff I did in the spring at Paris Island child's play for me.

Make sure you can run. A lot.

Take a look at what the training is at boot camp - With the Internet I'm sure you can find it broken down nearly day by day. Do what they do every day and then more.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I think ive seen you post, Mine is Tbrown10. I posted the workout over there but everyone said i was overtraining.

If over training makes the PT easy I'm not sure how that's a bad thing. In the fleet the MINIMUM distance we run is 3.5-4 miles even though the PFT is only 3 miles. Better to be over prepared than under. Look at Rochards post as a good example.

boduke0220

Established Member
Well talked to my Friend cody today, he just graduated Parris island. He said did cross fit everyday and said he actually got out of shapee in bootcamp. so i think im going to start working that into my workouts from now on as well.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
There are 3 things every Marine knows about the PFT:
1) At 5 points a piece, pull-ups are where your money is at.
2) If you can't get 100 crunches in 2 mins, you don't have a friend in the Corps.
3) The run sucks. Period.

If you're going 03, you'll get a kick out of these!!

Terminal Lance - Terminal Lance #1 “How Knick-Names are Born”

Start with #1 and just work your way to the newest...All in good fun of course

To civilians, those are just funny comics. To Marines, those are truth.

the 11s always go to the field in SOI and just lead a miserable life being the wpns field is just better we do all the same stuff riflemen do plus more like me i am an 0331(machine gunner) i do all the stuff that 11s do like CQB/MOUT plus i get to play with the 240,MK 19, and the .50 cal

ill break it down so you get an idea of what every 03 MOS dose in the field

0311 rifleman -run around like idiots until you cant move and hate your life due the fact that everyone else thinks your an idiot for being an 11

0313 LAV crewman - ride places and make fun of the 11s then get out and run around like an idiot

0317 scout/sniper - hike really really far with lots of weight and shoot sniper rifles(really cool/fun)

0321 recon/SF - they do all sorts of cool shit they are the Marines Special Forces(SF)

0331 machine gunner - we play with bigs guns and shoot tons of shit and we carry really heavy shit for a long time

0341 motorman - you sit on your ass and play spades

0351 assaultman - you blow shit up with C4 and rocket launchers(but you will never see E-4)

0352 towgunner - you ride around in a truck and shoot tow missiles and javelins(sounds cool but isnt really and you pick up E-4 very easy)

i hope this helps you get an idea of what you want to do:beer:

^^^ This. IMO, all infantry MOSs are important. But there are only 2 that are absolutely irreplaceable: 0311 and 0331. Those are by far the two most important jobs in the Marine Corps. (BTW, I'm an 0352)

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Scanned just a little of this thread and since OP is what 5'11 145? He should have ZERO problems with getting at least 10 pull ups, IF he is constantly working on it, shit at that rate he should be able to do 18+.

OP the running you'll have to do and be dedicated to, it sucks but every time you finish a run you feel 1000x better (cept when you are running drunk).
-former 0311 '06-'10 2/5E

usmcrebel

Established Member
lots of good info....bo ask yourself these questions

Do I like pain?
Do i like doing stupid crap for no reason?
Do I like being yelled at for doing my job right?
Do i want to carry heavy crap all the time?
Do i want my life to be a living hell?
Do I like my bones to age and be damaged faster than others?

Hazing is called training with intensity and you will enjoy it...If you answered yes to those questions then grunts life is for you. if not then i recommend a nice motor T/ intel position both lead to pretty dang good money once you get out...

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
the 11s always go to the field in SOI and just lead a miserable life being the wpns field is just better we do all the same stuff riflemen do plus more like me i am an 0331(machine gunner) i do all the stuff that 11s do like CQB/MOUT plus i get to play with the 240,MK 19, and the .50 cal

ill break it down so you get an idea of what every 03 MOS dose in the field

0311 rifleman -run around like idiots until you cant move and hate your life due the fact that everyone else thinks your an idiot for being an 11

0313 LAV crewman - ride places and make fun of the 11s then get out and run around like an idiot

0317 scout/sniper - hike really really far with lots of weight and shoot sniper rifles(really cool/fun)

0321 recon/SF - they do all sorts of cool shit they are the Marines Special Forces(SF)

0331 machine gunner - we play with bigs guns and shoot tons of shit and we carry really heavy shit for a long time

0341 motorman - you sit on your ass and play spades

0351 assaultman - you blow shit up with C4 and rocket launchers(but you will never see E-4)

0352 towgunner - you ride around in a truck and shoot tow missiles and javelins(sounds cool but isnt really and you pick up E-4 very easy)

i hope this helps you get an idea of what you want to do:beer:

This exactly! Im a machine gunner and life is tough sometimes and these past fours years sucked ass. I proud as hell i did it though but i ready to get out in may. Have fun in marjah my friend... I did.

As for boot camp don't sweat it. its easy as fuggin shit. and SOI. just try to run every now and then t make your life a little easier. Good luck my man. If you go to 2/9 god help you :beer:

usmcrebel

Established Member
There are 3 things every Marine knows about the PFT:
1) At 5 points a piece, pull-ups are where your money is at.
2) If you can't get 100 crunches in 2 mins, you don't have a friend in the Corps.
3) The run sucks. Period.

Sure you do the cook lol.

To civilians, those are just funny comics. To Marines, those are truth.
i've read those many times and thought...people laugh at this, but they haven't lived it.

^^^ This. IMO, all infantry MOSs are important. But there are only 2 that are absolutely irreplaceable: 0311 and 0331. Those are by far the two most important jobs in the Marine Corps. (BTW, I'm an 0352)

<0331 love my big guns.

boduke0220

Established Member
Just wanted to thank all you guys for the Help, took 2/3 of my IST today with my recruiter and got 18 pull ups, and 85 crunches in 2 minutes. didnt get to run though, but im pretty stoked about the score.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
This exactly! Im a machine gunner and life is tough sometimes and these past fours years sucked ass. I proud as hell i did it though but i ready to get out in may. Have fun in marjah my friend... I did.

As for boot camp don't sweat it. its easy as fuggin shit. and SOI. just try to run every now and then t make your life a little easier. Good luck my man. If you go to 2/9 god help you :beer:

Who are you with? I just got back from Marjah with 2/6 in January.

boduke0220

Established Member
your not to far and you will most likely be stationed at camp lejune its about an hour north of wilmington

Doesnt bother me one Bit, i just hope i dont have to go to SOI west. My buddy is on a recon contract and SOI west was the only one picking up this month so he has to go all the way out there. id love to go to geiger & lejune.

Users who are viewing this thread