Joined Marines..need PT advice.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Nothing wrong with grunts. HOWEVER, let me just say this. There are many MOS's that have great promotions, great bonuses, favorable optempo, and will lead to a great job after you get out of the Corps. You get none of this as a grunt. Again- nothing against it if that's what you have your heart set on- but if you want a little more "bang for your buck" choose something else to do. GL

(patiently waits for the grunts proclaiming it's the only REAL MOS- LOL)

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Going Into the 03xx field, so i want to be in the best shape i can because ive heard about SOI.

so something like

MWF- Run 3 Miles

Pullups, 3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3 With 10 pushups in between?

Do the ab work you described, can i do more?

Tues/Thurs.
Stair Stepper Machine for 30-40 mins
Stadiums x 15
sprint work 4x200m
abs workout

can i do more that just what you described? like maybe ad on some stadium, paratroopers/burpees, sprint work, curls etc?

Make sure you increase your pullups by one or 2 a week. So by week 6 you're starting @ 8 or 9 and going up to 15 or 16 then coming back down. And you'll be doing 40 push-ups between sets. If you want to push farther and your body can handle it by all means have at it. Same thing with the crunches- by the end you'll be doing 50-60 per- but go further if you can. I'd also throw some lunges and mountain climbers in once you get into decent shape. Just be careful not to go too deep and over extend your joints. This will help you with humps.

Absolutely- I sort of got the impression from your first post that you were leaving in 6 weeks. Do this AND more. I still say start slow and work your way up. Since you have so much time you should get a lot of swimming in too- ... with this much time you could train for a marathon if you wanted to.

I'd do this routine then take a break for a couple of weeks and do some wt training or just do hill/stadium training- then get back into the routine. Make sure you don't over do it- for one you don't want to injure yourself before you go to boot camp- for another you don't want to burn yourself out.

Last edited:

boduke0220

Established Member
I can already do about 14 pull ups now, think i should start at about 5-6 instead of 3?

Sounds good, i'll do some Lat pull downs and curls to help the pull ups as well.

I wish i was leaving in 6 weeks, all the army guys at MEPS got to do that :(

trickflow coupe

Established Member
Nothing wrong with grunts. HOWEVER, let me just say this. There are many MOS's that have great promotions, great bonuses, favorable optempo, and will lead to a great job after you get out of the Corps. You get none of this as a grunt. Again- nothing against it if that's what you have your heart set on- but if you want a little more "bang for your buck" choose something else to do. GL

so true.........if you want ant marketable skills dont go infantry

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
iv done everything an 11 has done like being a fire team leader on my last deployment along with being a machine gun squad leader and team leader and that was true for most of my platoon so yes we can do your job plus more and did you enjoy being an 11 boot? i saw them getting hazed every day us weapons guys didnt have it as bad

I'm not saying there isn't the opportunity to do what we do because I've got 31s and 52s with me now doing a job that's supposed to be for 11s. With them though they aren't even actively doing their original jobs so they might as well be 11s. I'm just saying that not everyone from weapons is going to get the jobs that you got. As an 11 I've gotten enough training on your weapons systems to do your job but not every 11 is gonna get that, just depends where you are.

You're right, you guys had it easier in SOI, but I was in Charlie Company West so everyone had it really bad haha. But like I said, It's only 2 months of work so not really a big deal. Even if I had to do it again I would still be an 11. There's a certain amount of satisfaction that comes along with it.

trickflow coupe

Established Member
I'm not saying there isn't the opportunity to do what we do because I've got 31s and 52s with me now doing a job that's supposed to be for 11s. With them though they aren't even actively doing their original jobs so they might as well be 11s. I'm just saying that not everyone from weapons is going to get the jobs that you got. As an 11 I've gotten enough training on your weapons systems to do your job but not every 11 is gonna get that, just depends where you are.

You're right, you guys had it easier in SOI, but I was in Charlie Company West so everyone had it really bad haha. But like I said, It's only 2 months of work so not really a big deal. Even if I had to do it again I would still be an 11. There's a certain amount of satisfaction that comes along with it.

i see so you had a fun time on the alpha self didnt you.....i went through Alpha at SOI west and being in the weapons side was pretty sweet and the 11s instructors were ruthless i mean they ****ed those guys up dont get me wrong i love our 11s hell my plt had even made some honorary WPNS guys because they wanted to learn our stuff and we wanted to learn the stuff they had to teach and here is to being a hollywood marine:beer:

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
i see so you had a fun time on the alpha self didnt you.....i went through Alpha at SOI west and being in the weapons side was pretty sweet and the 11s instructors were ruthless i mean they ****ed those guys up dont get me wrong i love our 11s hell my plt had even made some honorary WPNS guys because they wanted to learn our stuff and we wanted to learn the stuff they had to teach and here is to being a hollywood marine:beer:

Haha :beer:

Honestly I would take the Alpha Shelf over the hike to MOUT town any day! It wasn't that the terrain was hard, it was just that our First Sergeant insisted we hike at over 4mph. We finished the 20k record time, faster than our 15k! It was like 2hrs and 40min or something. So the long hike up to MOUT broke a lot of guys off.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
iv done everything an 11 has done like being a fire team leader on my last deployment along with being a machine gun squad leader and team leader and that was true for most of my platoon so yes we can do your job plus more and did you enjoy being an 11 boot? i saw them getting hazed every day us weapons guys didnt have it as bad

Boot.... really? Everyones boot to someone.

We were just the 1st MOS. Is it the best? It's all relative. It depends entirely on what you want out of your military career. My vision (when enlisted after graduation college) was the go 03xx make E-5 and go com. They tried to get me to just go straight to ocs, but I wanted to have small unit (micro) leadership experience. I would agree that being a crunchie leaves a lot to be desired in the marketable field job other than private security or leo. Regardless being a Marine period has helped me more over the years than any other qualification I have to my name. In my experience it's not something I have observed (even in government work) with other branches.

OP, kill bodies. You'll understand later.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
What exactly is hazing? like PT like crazy or?

thanks for all the input guys

There's no such thing as hazing;-) ... but really, don't worry about getting hazed. They're so anal about people getting hazed that most are afraid to even do it to someone. It happens of course but it's nothing you can't handle unless you're a complete turd that can't handle a little PT; that's all it is. If anyone tries anything more than that I'd tell them to piss off. I don't care who it is, no one puts hands on me in that manner unless it's my mom or dad.

Last edited:

trickflow coupe

Established Member
What exactly is hazing? like PT like crazy or?

thanks for all the input guys

hazing has calmed down a lot since iv been in but if you **** up there is still stuff they do. All you have to do to not get ****ed with is......dont be an idiot....its really that simple and depending on where you go you get hazed every morning for PT i remember my section leader was pissed off at us for a month so he took us on flak runs that were at least 5 miles that sucked. If you use your head you and be smart while your in you wont have that much bullshit to deal with...but you will always have some sort since you will be the low man on the totem pole but it gets better with time

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I can already do about 14 pull ups now, think i should start at about 5-6 instead of 3?

Sounds good, i'll do some Lat pull downs and curls to help the pull ups as well.

I wish i was leaving in 6 weeks, all the army guys at MEPS got to do that :(

Go for it- nothing ventured nothing gained. One thing I will tell you is this- do PULL-UPS (palms facing you) NOT chin-ups (palms facing outboard) pull-ups you use arms, shoulders, and back- IOW's you are spreading the stress of the load over a larger group of muscles- this will take more time to perfect but once you have muscle memory and you have endurance it will allow you to recover faster and not be as tired- since you usually do your pull-ups first during a PFT this will pay dividends during the other events.

EDIT- I said it wrong.:bash:

Pull-ups are palms facing outboard. Chinups are palms facing you. My Bad.

You want to do pullups- not chinups.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Go for it- nothing ventured nothing gained. One thing I will tell you is this- do PULL-UPS (palms facing you) NOT chin-ups (palms facing outboard) pull-ups you use arms, shoulders, and back- IOW's you are spreading the stress of the load over a larger group of muscles- this will take more time to perfect but once you have muscle memory and you have endurance it will allow you to recover faster and not be as tired- since you usually do your pull-ups first during a PFT this will pay dividends during the other events.

I disagree with this. The back muscles that are gained by doing a wide bar overhand pull ups are not easily lost. If you build those muscles up to the point where you can do 20 of those in that manner then when you tire out you can switch grips to underhand and bust out a few more. This is what I did before boot camp and that is even what the drill instructors recommended to do as well. Out of boot camp I could do 27 with about 24 of them overhand. Since then I haven't really continued doing pull ups regularly but 20 overhand is still easy because the muscles that you build up in your back from it do not go away easily.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member

I disagree with this. The back muscles that are gained by doing a wide bar overhand pull ups are not easily lost. If you build those muscles up to the point where you can do 20 of those in that manner then when you tire out you can switch grips to underhand and bust out a few more. This is what I did before boot camp and that is even what the drill instructors recommended to do as well. Out of boot camp I could do 27 with about 24 of them overhand. Since then I haven't really continued doing pull ups regularly but 20 overhand is still easy because the muscles that you build up in your back from it do not go away easily.

I agree with svtfocus, I went through boot and about a year at my first unit doing 10-14 underhand pullups but could never increase. I switched to overhand and while initially doing less, I built up to 20 in no time. Doing them overhand built up muscles that dont go away as quickly as arm muscles, and once you nail them down they're much easier to do(plus they look better!).

Either way, you can get up to 20 and keep it once you get there with minimal effort.

stangchris

Established Member
Yeah, I learned the hard way, too. A normal grip, palms away from you is the best way. Then if you get tired, you could maybe squeeze another one or two if you switch grips. When palms are away from you, you use mostly your back which is better than just using mainly your biceps if you do palms towards you.

boduke0220

Established Member
I think i'll try that. i did a metabolic class on thursday thats 30 mins long and it was all compound/hybrid movements...kicked my ass so im gonna start doing that too.

Users who are viewing this thread