John Lund won't tune this set up without a BAP

HP7

Established Member
I have a 2011 SVTPP GT500 and I wanted to get a tuned revised for the below parts but John Lund won't tune it unless I install a BAP. I know that is common with smaller pulleys but I would be on a stock pulley. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

2014 TVS blower with stock pulley
2013 injectors
SCJ Minoblade TB
Off-road X pipe
JLT resonator delete
Air Raid filter
Heat exchanger with fans
170 deg t Stat

Last edited:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Double post. :(

Last edited:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I have a 2011 SVTPP GT500 and I wanted to get a tuned revised for the below parts but John Lund won't tune it unless I install a BAP. I know that is common with smaller pulleys but I would be on a stock pulley. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

2013 injectors
SCJ Minoblade TB
Off-road X pipe
JLT resonator delete
Air Raid filter
Heat exchanger with fans
170 deg t Stat

Each car is different and if my tuner told me I needed a BAP, I would not even question it.

Spending a little more now may save you a LOT later.

Van@RevanRacing

2013 injectors
SCJ Minoblade TB
Off-road X pipe
JLT resonator delete
Air Raid filter
Heat exchanger with fans
170 deg t Stat

Lund Racing has very specific protocol in place with respect to supercharger and injector swaps. Your set up has seen high Fuel Pump Duty Cycle in data logs and to reduce your potential for a lean condition they are recommending a Dual Boost A Pump.

We do these all of the time with the exact same set up.

Cheers.

Van

HP7

Established Member
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I did not want to install a BAP on my 11 because I've heard of problems with fuses being popped due to the high voltage going through one cable as opposed to two cables on other years. Fuel system is definitely something I don't want to mess with unless absolutely necessary.

I don't want to add any more power after this set up so if VMP would tune my set up SAFELY without a BAP I'm thinking I'll go with them.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Just drop in some Aero 325's then if you don't want to mess with BAP wiring.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
It just seems weird to me that you're paying a tuner for his expertise, then not listening to his advice. He is trying to save you from eating a motor and blaming it on him, and you're worried about popping a fuel pump fuse...... He is a very experienced tuner, and like you said, this is not a difficult combination.

Last edited:

s351

Established Member
A respected tuner is giving you sound advice, always over build our fuel system, I would choose 400 bucks for a bap, then 7000k on a motor if she goes lean.

RBB

Established Member
I'm running almost the exact same setup (just put a 2.5" pulley on with long tubes) and Jon also wouldn't tune me without the BAP and 13-14 injectors. He knows what he's doing, I'd go ahead and get it if I were you. I went with VMP's dual BAP for an easy PnP install. I've had everything on the car for about 2.5 months now with plenty of WOT pulls and no issues with fuses, etc. My logs look good and I've got plenty of pump....maxes out around 82% duty cycle with the 2.5" pulley.

HP7

Established Member
All valid points. Not putting John Lund down at all, I know he is a great tuner. I have his tune in my stock blower set up right now. The issue that I'm curious about is if Lund requires a BAP and everyone seems to listen to their tuner what about VMP? They are going to tune my set up without a BAP and I consider them on a similar level as Lund so why the disparity in protocol? If really a BAP would be needed I'm sure VMP would not tune my set up either. Or are you guys saying VMP doesn't care if my motor goes boom?

Eric@BBR

Established Member
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I did not want to install a BAP on my 11 because I've heard of problems with fuses being popped due to the high voltage going through one cable as opposed to two cables on other years. Fuel system is definitely something I don't want to mess with unless absolutely necessary.

I don't want to add any more power after this set up so if VMP would tune my set up SAFELY without a BAP I'm thinking I'll go with them.

For your mod list, a BAP sounds right in line with what you would need to push it safely. Yes, it may work and get your desired AFR's without one. But you will be taxing your fuel system to do so and it will only take a minor irregularity or hiccup in fuel supply to melt it down. The BAP gives some cushion when it comes to this.

Just a heads up also, we stock the JMS Plug and Play BAP's ;)

HP7

Established Member
Thanks Eric, I agree with you that it is good to have some cushion in the fuel department and I do plan on installing a BAP when I find a good deal. Can anyone help me with a couple of questions:

1. If I get a tune without a BAP and then I install one, do I need a tune update?
2. Is it ok to purchase two single Kenne Bell BAPs and install instead of buying the Dual BAP? The singles are going for $100 a piece and duals are hard to find at a good price.

Thanks

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
All tuners are different. Lund is not only looking out for you and not blowing your motor, he is also covering himself.

If you don' run a BAP and max out your fuel or something happens, chances are you'd be going back to him pointing the finger.

This is pretty much standard protocol with all tuners that are trying to do things correctly down to the "T".

I would personally get the BAP and continue to use Lund. He is one of the best tuners in the game and wouldn't suggest a part like this unless he was being cautious. Definitely not the type to try and make a sale either.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
All valid points. Not putting John Lund down at all, I know he is a great tuner. I have his tune in my stock blower set up right now. The issue that I'm curious about is if Lund requires a BAP and everyone seems to listen to their tuner what about VMP? They are going to tune my set up without a BAP and I consider them on a similar level as Lund so why the disparity in protocol? If really a BAP would be needed I'm sure VMP would not tune my set up either. Or are you guys saying VMP doesn't care if my motor goes boom?

Seriously?

bj

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
To me BAP = $250.00, engine = 20,000 = cheap insurance.

Well, it's $400 - $500 for a dual FPDM BAP. But yea, still cheap compared to blowing her up.

OP, as everyone else has said, even with a stock pulley, the tune can be pushed pretty far. Better to just do the BAP than pushing the fuel system to the edge.
You will need the dual setup, don't think you can wire 2 regular ones together. You will also need a tune after you install them. It is driveable, but you definitely don't want to be romping on it.

I tried to get around doing a return setup on my Terminator for so many years, finally doing it because I kept trying to beat around the bush and push the stock system to the limits. You want the power, you gotta do some kind of fuel mods at some point.

chefron50

Established Member
I would go with a dyno tune,Justin from vmp did mine,that will tell you if your motor is leaning out or not,then you could make the right decision.

Users who are viewing this thread