Job decision dilemma

Stangdriver13

Established Member
I agree with other replies…to leave a position it should be an absolute minimum of a 5% bump and it should be more in the 10% range to move companies. Unless there is better retirement or bonus options with the company you interviewed with they are basically breaking even considering you would have 5 less vacation days a year. Yes future opportunities come into play but nothing is written in stone. Sounds like you have a good gig where you work and that is difficult to put a financial value on. Now if I was in CW's shoes above…50% pay increase would be damn near impossible for me to walk away from unless it was moving to an area in the country where cost of living was 50% higher..i.e. California. In this situation, I just don't think its worth even considering unless you can counter at 82k +4 weeks vaca.

Last edited:

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I am in an odd position, I work for both a large and small company. In your position, I would stick with a good work environment that I knew before I would switch for a marginal gain. While large companies have more potential upside, they also have more pitfalls. The more people in a company, the greater your chance of offending some snowflake and getting in the persona non grata file. As for me, I would walk away from the large company in a heartbeat if my side job could offer me even 70% of what they pay.

MFE

Established Member
Leave a job you like for a sideways salary, demotion, and less PTO? Why the **** would you even consider it?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Leave a job you like for a sideways salary, demotion, and less PTO? Why the **** would you even consider it?

Put it that way and it seems real simple doesn't it??? Of course there really is more opportunity there, however, banking on something that could happen seems to be a risk and i'm not really a gambling man.

And maybe it didn't come off correctly but I don't love my job, I'm still working for someone else and it's still a pain in the ass to goto on Monday morning, however, I don't hate it which I can't say the same regarding the other post college job I had.

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I had a meeting with my boss today over lunch and it went well. He's very familiar with the other company and said it's a good opportunity and wouldn't be mad if I took it yet he hopes I don't. Long story short after talking about the pros/cons of taking it vs staying, I now make $5k more and will be staying where I'm at.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
I had a meeting with my boss today over lunch and it went well. He's very familiar with the other company and said it's a good opportunity and wouldn't be mad if I took it yet he hopes I don't. Long story short after talking about the pros/cons of taking it vs staying, I now make $5k more and will be staying where I'm at.

Congratulations.
We all believe you're making the right descision!

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
As someone who used to be a recruiter for an IT staffing firm, let me tell you that if a recruiter calls you about a job and says it pays, $45/hr, that means that they (the recruiting comp.) will pay you $45/hr, while the company that actually has the position pays the recruiting company $60/hr for your work. This is how contract stuff works. They get the company to pay the max they can and get the employee, the one actually doing the work, to take as little as possible, and the recruiting firm gets the difference. If it's a direct hire, the recruiters/staffing company get a percentage of the base salary for the position so it is in their best interest to get you as much money as possible.

So a tip for any of you who get called by a recruiter for contract work. Play along, don't sign anything from them, like a right to represent, and find out who the position is actually with. Once you have that info, go apply for the job on your own. Take whatever number the recruiter said the job pays and add about 20% (most companies won't waste their time with a spread under 20%).

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Good for you, probably made a smart move.

I'm glad you didn't jump ship. Think about it this way, even if they had offered you $12k more a year, that's only $1,000 a month....close to $650 or so after taxes, insurance, etc. That would amount to just about $32 more a day, leaving a company you like for one that you're not sure about.

Smart move OP.

Users who are viewing this thread