Job decision dilemma

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I have a dilemma about my job situation. Currently I work for a small electrical engineering firm (11 employees). I have my engineering license, am paid $74k/yr, have 4 weeks PTO and my job title is engineer 3. I have a an office of my own and I generally like my job, my coworkers, my boss, our clients and am the 3rd highest paid person at the company after the owner and a guy in his late 40s who is an engineer 4. I have a good amount of freedom at work and get to visit clients across the state regularly regarding distribution line and substation projects I'm involved in and really feel like I help out our clients with their needs.

Since getting my PE I've had a quite a few recruiters contacting me about job opportunities. I've politely declined their offers until recently as one piqued my interest with an opportunity and I decided I might as well interview for a different job for practice if nothing else . I start with a phone interview with the HR woman, then an in person interview with her and 2 engineers and then a second interview where I meet more of the people in the department I would work in (transmission line design) as well as the president and one of the VP's of the company (105 employees and part of a larger corporation with 24000 employees). All the interviews went well and I just got an offer today for $76k/yr and 3 weeks PTO + some sick days. I knew it was going to be about a lateral move at first as they are offering a position as an engineer 2 since I do not have a lot of transmission line experience but there is significant potential for upward mobility. The benefits are better at this company and the commute will be about the same as it is now, however, the most obvious downside is i'll be back to cubicle life.

I'm not sure if I should take the offer. I have no guarantee I will like the job or the people I work with. I'm 33, getting married in May, no kid, own my house in a nice neighborhood and while more money down the line would be nice, I can comfortable live on my current salary. My fiancé works but she's pretty new in her career so she only pulls in about $35k a year, if we have children she might stop working for a year or 2 or work 3 days a work instead of full-time so we don't have to pay so much in childcare.

If I do take it I will leave on good terms with my current employer, however I will feel like i'm letting my boss and coworkers down by jumping ship. In reality nobody would fault me for what looks like a better opportunity but it's still a tough feeling to shake.

I thought about using the offer as a way to get a raise but if I did that I would probably not get a raise anytime soon and i'll never be able to match the earning potential with the bigger company.

What would you fellow SVT brothers do? Anyone been in a situation like this?

TLDR version -

Offered a job with a big company for slightly better pay and benefits than my current job at a small company. Not sure what to do

Last edited:

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Agreed. Not worth it. I wouldnt make a move until you can find the potential and net a $7k+ raise (10%). And really until money is motivating it sounds like you enjoy your company and that it is worth staying in all regards.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I'm at a small company, just like you currently. Different field of engineering though. I'm also probably 3rd in income, lol.

I've only been out in industry almost 4 years now. I want to make a switch to a larger company because I know I am grossly under paid, and the benefits basically don't exist.

If they actually gave me close to competitive pay, I would hands down stay. I get raises every year, but it doesn't make up for the 20k pay deficit, or the benefits and vacation deficit. No company could match my job security at my current job though.

I love working at a small company though. Being the only engineer, I get away with a lot.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Working with small companies usually dont give you great benefits, if any. I don’t have any BUT I do get away with a bunch of stuff and get paid fairly well.

Im sure I can go somewhere else and get paid more but I lose the freedom like I have right now. Best part of all is big companies usually fire the new guys or top paid guys if something was to hit the fan or even let them go for someone newer and cheaper.

Seen that crap happen plenty of times.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Best part of all is big companies usually fire the new guys or top paid guys if something was to hit the fan or even let them go for someone newer and cheaper.

Seen that crap happen plenty of times.

This is very true.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Just remember your best negotiating position is before you accept the offer. Consider that the opening volley.

Also, be really careful when presenting an offer back to a current employer. This one as it stands is so small of a difference that the negative potential probably outweighs any short term gain. Typically you would want to be 10-15% over your current salary before doing that.

Personally if one of my employees came to me with a competing offer that was a lateral for same pay I would wish them luck. If you took a promotion as part of it or a significant pay increase I would interpret the act differently.

Rct851

Established Member
If you want kids I'd take the job with the potential for more pay. I make a little more then that and have no kids and still feel like I'm spinning my wheels most of the time.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks for the replies for far guys, I have class from 6:30 to 8 but will have a few responses to your posts after that.

omar815

Being comfortable can be dangerous for long term growth and relative competitiveness. At the very least, respectfully counter offer their salary.

I left a job I really liked for the growth opportunity elsewhere. It was very stressful but, looking back, was very effective in accelerating my career.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

_Snake_

Established Member
If you're happy with your current job, only leave (voluntarily) if there's an offer you can't say "no" to. This doesn't sound like that opportunity.

Agree with the others who said to stay.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
Stay where you are.

I myself work as an engineer for a smaller company (30 employees). I came here from ABB where I stayed at for 3 years.
To get this job I moved to another part of the country and bought myself a house etc. I'm making about half of what I made at ABB, but at terms of which are simply the best.
This company basically does whatever it takes to keep me happy, and they really care about their employees.
Now recently me and my girlfriend have to move up. Not going in to details but we simply just can't stay in this part of the country anymore.
Talked to the company CEO about it and told him that I really don't want to quit, but I must move. First thing he said was that he understands and wants to come to an agreement of where I can work from home after I've moved. Meaning that I can move without having to change job.

Why did I share my story?
Because no big companies would ever care about their employees like this. And I'm sure your company would do what it takes to keep you aswell.
Sure, if I moved and changed engineering job I could probably bump my salary by 10-20%, heck maybe even 30%. But for what? Being miserable? No thanks.

bgoose99

Established Member
Having been in this exact situation, I figured I really only had one option: politely tell them that I was happy with my current position, and it would take more than a lateral move or token bump to make me give it up.

At the very worst, you made a new contact or two, and presented yourself well enough during the interviews to be considered for another in the future. If they can't satisfy you with the offer, thank them for their time and ask that they keep you in mind for future opportunities.

Plus you got some more interview experience under your belt. Never a bad thing.

MG0h3

Established Member
Sounds like youre happy where you are. Granted most people always have something to bitch about, but its still rare for someone to praise their workplace like you are.

You can always to talk your boss about doing more for the company.

webby092

Established Member
Don't do it. I work in the exact same industry, closeish to the same area. I started my career at a small engineering firm (130 people at largest), then we were bought out by a larger firm with 8000 employees. Culture went to crap, everyone became a number. Got laid off after 10.5 years there, got a new gig a few weeks later at a small (~250) employees. Much better environment. At a large firm you will be just a number, no one will care about you.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks for the replies guys. SVTP was down last night so I couldn't get any responses back. At face value the offer is not worth moving for. Had I had more experience in transmission line design I would have been offered a position as an engineer 3 and would have been looking at a $15k+ bump. That would have been one of those can't refuse offers.

They said it probably wouldn't take more than a couple of years to get that promotion. It might be quite a while before I get there with the current company.

On the other hand, I do like being appreciated by my boss, coworkers and clients. As a member of a much larger organization I don't think that would be the case. I do have a lot of flexibility at work. I don't abuse it like some of my coworkers but our boss doesn't care if we need to run an errand, get a haircut or goto the dentist during working hours.

My boss has lost 4-5 employees to larger engineering firms in the last 10 years. One guy walked in asking for a significant raise and the boss said he can't go that high at the time so the employee handed him his 2 week notice. Had my boss known that was coming he would have given him the raise. Given that, I believe I should be able to ask for a reasonable raise without him telling me to take a hike.

I'll have to talk it out with my fiancée, parents and another buddy who is in the industry. I do appreciate the input here though, it's a tricky spot to be in as the upside is down a ways down road. It was good experience though, knowing I have a job made the interview very calm and easy.

If I were to counter offer, should I say I need $80k? I know the salaries probably seem a little low but the Midwest actually has the lowest cost of living, and therefore the lowest salaries, of any part of the country.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
If you are going to counter, counter with the amount enough to make you move.

I have to listen to my GF complain all day about her co-workers. I know I do it sometimes too but my current job beats the hell out of my last job. I took a pay cut for almost 3 years after I left that place and I think it was a good thing. Forcing yourself into work everyday because you can't stand the people you work with is a terrible way to live.

My $.02.

cwlanders

Established Member
I am making a pretty tough decision regarding a job change. I currently work at a firm that audits investment managers that pays OK but has a great work environment and great people. I am probably underpaid by around $30k given that I have Accounting and Finance undergrad degrees, an MBA with a concentration in Data Analytics and am hopefully two weeks away from passing my final portion of the CPA exam and becoming a CPA. I decided to test the waters a bit, similar to you, and ended up interviewing for a job at a large public accounting firm in a city 2 hours away. I got the offer and it is about 50% more than what I am currently being paid. On one hand, I think the current environment I work in is the best I will ever have and would hate to leave, but on the other hand it is hard to pass up that kind of money. I can guarantee you if the other job was only for $2k more I would not do it. I am only considering the new job because of how significant the increase in pay is and it is still a tough choice.

Users who are viewing this thread