JLT's 2015 on the dyno testing our CAI

Tucker

This was a couple weeks back before SEMA, but I thought I'd post it up.

We are very happy with the results the other shops are getting with our CAI and we backed it up on our own car.

2015 GT PP bone stock
600 miles +/-

We made 2 base line runs with the results of 381 & 380 RWHP & 350 RWTQ

Swapped the stock CAI for the JLT and had Brent Hughes load his custom tune ( We use Brent to tune some of our packages including this one)
A few runs later and an awesome 414 RWHP!!

Check it out
before and after 33 38.JPG

That next Sunday I took the car to a local road course NCCar and beat up on some fast stuff. (btw it's awesome on track)

tn2.JPG
tn1.JPG

[video=youtube;_R3z9s7JqbE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R3z9s7JqbE&list=UUnjNtH_ht5fslMSOWTM3wMg[/video]

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Nice work Tucker ! I see where the air box comes up higher....It looks like it seals off with the hood closed. Love the colour match as well.

Good stuff.

bpmurr

Established Member
Jay, nice looking intake. I'm a little concerned about your process in obtaining dyno results. Why didn't you get a number with the stock intake and tune? Then get a final number with your intake and tune. While the gains across the board are nice, as a buyer I don't know how much is coming from the tune and how much from your intake. Have you done any testing of air temps coming into the intake at speed with your intake and the stock intake? There is a lot of concern of heat build-up under the hood by not being completely sealed like the OEM unit and that any gains with the hood up on dyno would be lost on the street.

Last edited:

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Be curious to see what the actual numbers are if you dynoed it with the hood DOWN. Like the way most people drive their cars. In addition to the ^^^ above comment of tune only numbers. :)

Tucker

If you have seen any of the tests done by SCT, BBR, American Muscle, LMR and more the JLT added after the tune gained 11-14rwhp just like on the 11-14. No tune only gains these numbers.

As for hood up, please read your inlet air temps while at speed. As they are near ambient just like when you Dyno with the hood up.
Dynoing hood down with small fans is not any way to test an air intake.

Next

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Voltwings

Established Member
This motor also has more cylinder head, and more cam than the S197 5.0, as well as a smaller airbox. Doesnt seem like rocket science to me it likes the larger intake. Not to mention this is a LARGE intake, that filter is the size the current CJ users are running.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
The numbers are great as they should be as Voltwings has already explained. The sad thing is, the additional weight negates the gains, will be interesting to see if the s550 goes Aluminium by the time it's all said and done.

Nice product tucker!

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Jlt rocks. Msn some people are bent lol

No one is bent LOL! I just tend to play devils advocate, proof is in the puddin'! stock vs stock there's more than one video out there that proves this. JLT makes awesome products and the s550 is a nice car, I just wouldn't advise anyone to rush to trade in their 11-14 thinking a 15 has some "God Mode" button and that it's going to be WAY faster, because it's not going to be.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Where? On the drag strip? Certainly not on a road course.

The IRS is the reasoning for the ability on a road course. Not the increased power we're seeing from mods when comparing the s197 vs the s550. Don't get me wrong if you intend on having a road course car then the s550 might just be for you. Personally, I'll take a properly setup solid axle any day but that's just my opinion. I feel like where the vast majority of the drivers are going to drive their cars, mod for mod a s197 is going to pull a s550 even though the s550 will be making more power.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Are you going to be offering these in carbon fiber? I need one for my future '15 match the one on my terminator. :)

Tucker

Jay, nice looking intake. I'm a little concerned about your process in obtaining dyno results. Why didn't you get a number with the stock intake and tune? Then get a final number with your intake and tune. While the gains across the board are nice, as a buyer I don't know how much is coming from the tune and how much from your intake.
I'll address more now as I was on my Ipad last night.
First, people should know you have poked at me for years, so your post was expected, but not thought out at all.

Numbers from what?
Well, 30-40+ from an N/A 5.0 with a tune only should raise a red flag, 30-40 from an intake and tune combo makes more sense, no?
We have done the exact test your talking about and the results are always the same. Power comes from both, not one.
This is our 2013 base, tune and JLT and tune
base tuned JLT best 401.jpg

A few 2015 tests done by 3rd partys
[video=youtube;UtJE7FLX6Ts]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtJE7FLX6Ts[/video]

[video=youtube;LkOa2o1lXPQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkOa2o1lXPQ[/video]

BBR
4hs9zn.jpg
Have you don't any testing of air temps coming into the intake at speed with your and the stock intake? There is a lot of concern of heat build-up under the hood by not being completely sealed like the OEM unit and that any gains with the hood up on dyno would be lost on the street.

Be curious to see what the actual numbers are if you dynoed it with the hood DOWN. Like the way most people drive their cars. In addition to the ^^^ above comment of tune only numbers. :)

I'll address these comments together.
I have to assume both of you have a new Mustang with gauges or at least have been in one. You have access to the inlet and ambient air temps on the dash.
If not, I'll try to help you out with some facts.
1) A typical dyno run is from 50-150 MPH. Crazy huh? :lol1: But it is
2) A typical dyno fan is only used to keep coolant temps at a workable operating temp.
3) Stick your head out the window and make a 50-150 MPH pull. Lots O wind out there huh? :D Not scientific, but fun and you get the idea, tons of air is rushing over the entire vehicle.
4) Dyno with the hood down and a small fan is the most unrealistic thing you can do on a dyno and it's sad to say I have seen editors and big name shops do this. Just stupid :bash:

People act like hood up dynoing is getting ice cold air to the filter:lol:
it's only ambient or higher actually. The filters are below the fan wash in most cases and will see a little heat from the engine, just like at 50-150 MPH.
Here is a simple test anyone can do to see for themselves.
[video=youtube;1j0Qyq6NOXw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j0Qyq6NOXw&list=UUnjNtH_ht5fslMSOWTM3wMg[/video]

As for the 2015 temps.
While driving our car stock I watched the temps close where most only look after a modification.
Temps were as high or higher than with our CAI installed. I plan on going back to stock and doing a video test and run the same route with the JLT to show what's what. The problem is, it's getting cooler, but I'll do it anyway.

This motor also has more cylinder head, and more cam than the S197 5.0, as well as a smaller airbox. Doesnt seem like rocket science to me it likes the larger intake. Not to mention this is a LARGE intake, that filter is the size the current CJ users are running.
Thanks and yes it seem obvious to me as well, but we still have doubters and always document the proof.
As for the filter, it's designed for this kit only and measures 5" at the opening and 8" long.;-)

Awesome gains Jay, and a great looking intake on top of that.
The numbers are great as they should be as Voltwings has already explained. The sad thing is, the additional weight negates the gains, will be interesting to see if the s550 goes Aluminium by the time it's all said and done.

Nice product tucker!
Jlt rocks. Msn some people are bent lol
True, some love to hate on the 2015 and JLT, but the facts are the 2015 is the best Mustang so far and I've owned over 15 including Temis, GT500s, 4.6s and 5.0s.
We do nothing but improve our products and this is our best by far!

No one is bent LOL! I just tend to play devils advocate, proof is in the puddin'! stock vs stock there's more than one video out there that proves this. JLT makes awesome products and the s550 is a nice car, I just wouldn't advise anyone to rush to trade in their 11-14 thinking a 15 has some "God Mode" button and that it's going to be WAY faster, because it's not going to be.
^^ Above and thanks :beer:
Are you going to be offering these in carbon fiber? I need one for my future '15 match the one on my terminator. :)
No.
Sad to say Carbon is going away from all JLT products very soon.
It's only for looks
Cost a ton and our supplier/manufacture sucks! :mj:

We will be offering it in HydroCarbon which actually looks better and that's what it's all about.
Great results!

Voltwings

Established Member
The IRS is the reasoning for the ability on a road course. Not the increased power we're seeing from mods when comparing the s197 vs the s550. Don't get me wrong if you intend on having a road course car then the s550 might just be for you. Personally, I'll take a properly setup solid axle any day but that's just my opinion. I feel like where the vast majority of the drivers are going to drive their cars, mod for mod a s197 is going to pull a s550 even though the s550 will be making more power.

I have to disagree with this... Granted its "ricer math" we use at the drag strip, but losing 100 lbs is roughly the same as gaining 10 whp or so. If the S197 is 100-200 lbs lighter, it has a 10-20 whp advantage. That being said, look at what Cobrajet cars are making on the S197 5.0 on stock cams... Now look at what they are making with aftermarket cams ... The S550 should blow away an S197 mod for mod, because the weight difference is not THAT much. Its not like comparing a challenger to a mustang.

However thats not the point of this thread, so i'll end my threadjack there.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
However thats not the point of this thread, so i'll end my threadjack there.

Do not want to threadjack as well, but to add,I have already seen a 13~14 go head to head with a 15.. both had at least a catback. The 15 took it from a roll. By about a 3/4 length. Not a full car, but the 15 won pretty convincingly .

apg2369

SNAKE OF ALL TRADES
Established Member
If you have seen any of the tests done by SCT, BBR, American Muscle, LMR and more the JLT added after the tune gained 11-14rwhp just like on the 11-14. No tune only gains these numbers.

As for hood up, please read your inlet air temps while at speed. As they are near ambient just like when you Dyno with the hood up.
Dynoing hood down with small fans is not any way to test an air intake.

Next

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

2014 5.0 with JLT cia Phoenix Arizona ambient temp 108 Temp at speed 129 , that's what I usually see about 20-25 degrees hotter .

rrg9946

Established Member
Hmmmmm...... Very interesting

Users who are viewing this thread