JLT vs Bob's Oil Separators.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Update:

I was finally able to update my previous test

I am not affiliated with either company.

I have found the JLT cans only catch roughly 50% of the oil going through. The Bob's is catching 95 - 99%. I tried with them both in series. First 3000 miles JLT was in front of Bob's. Both ended up with approx same amount of oil, (about 5 tblespn) Reversed them for another 3000 miles, the Bobs had roughly 9 tblespns. The JLT had 5 eye dropper drops in it. I feel the JLT has 2 design flaws. First the inlet/outlet are directly across from each other with no offset. Second, The JLT uses the stock small ID hoses. This doesn't allow the flow to slowdown enough to dissipate the oil in the canister.

Don't get me wrong, I am not downing the JLT product. I love the ease of installation, and the "factory" look much better. Their customer service is first rate, as is Bob's. For me function always trumps form, so for now I am sticking with Bob's.

Thanks for sharing your info sir! Always good to see outside info come into play.

Last edited:

Anindya

Established Member
Can you install Bob's without modding the car in any way. I am not going to drill holes and cut through stock pipes. Why is this necessary?

Steve@BAS

Established Member
No holes to drill, and you can get a stock line to remove fittings from, from your local ford dealer if you want to keep stock for some reason. I have one set of fittings in stock right now actually, give me a call tomorrow :cheers:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Steve,
I just received my oil separator and have a few questions.

1. The bottom drain valve was preinstalled, does it have thread sealant on the threads or do I need to remove it and apply sealant?

2. What type of hose do supply with the standard kit?

3. I noticed the bottom section was loose and when I hand tightened it, the inlet was offset 90 degrees from the outlet, is this normal?

I went with the white powder coat and it is a couple of shades whiter than the PW on my car, I just thought that other potential customers might be interested in this fact.

Here are a couple of photos showing the port orientation.

P5150535_zps0f54cde6.gif

P5150537_zpsf356da2b.gif

Last edited:

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Thanks for your business and sharing photos.

1. The bottom drain valve was preinstalled, does it have thread sealant on the threads or do I need to remove it and apply sealant?

Sealant is applied. Also applied on all fittings (for customers that order complete kit)

2. What type of hose do supply with the standard kit?

Eaton easy couple 5/8" ID

3. I noticed the bottom section was loose and when I hand tightened it, the inlet was offset 90 degrees from the outlet, is this normal?

Yes, don't tighten so much, don't need to over compress the O-ring

railroad

Established Member
I see UPR has a copy for sell also. It looks like the Shelby knock-offs. Even with the off set hoses, baffling and mesh, I think a full length partition inside the catch can would ensure the vapors make a full length route before being pulled on by the vacuum source.

Users who are viewing this thread