JLT vs Bob's Oil Separators.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Wow, looks like neither one is ideal. I have a theory why the Bobs typically works better than the JLT. The JLT is mounted higher than the Bobs. All the installations I've seen the Bobs is mounted to the strut tower or firewall with the lines sloped downward. The JLT is mounted up above the valve cover in line with the original vent tube. For the Bobs any oil left in the lines on either side of the can will run down to the Bobs can due to gravity. Since the JLT lines are straight, the oil will stay in the lines and not run into the can. Don't know if this is really why but I would be interested to see a Bobs mounted in the JLT location to compare how it works in that position.

Just noticed I think you miss-read the first post. When he says that the Bobs was installed after the other one, he means on one line/hose, not two separate tests. What the Bob's caught is only what the other missed. So you can't say that "neither is ideal".

Now I see why you are talking about different designs, lol.

mullens

Established Member
I believe you are correct, I have seen nothing to indicate oil is getting past the Bob's.

Yup...SC inlet is bone dry on mine.

I had a thought. In the interest of making the JLT more efficient, would it be feasible to plug the existing outlet hole (to SC) on top, and drill/tap a new outlet near the bottom of the can? This way it would have to draw through the media and down rather than straight through. I know a couple of guys over on TS were testing ways to make it more efficient but I don't know if they tried that.

mach330

Established Member
Can someone fill me in on why everyone seems to be getting these? I know when I tore into the upper/lower intake on my Mach 1 that the intake was coated in oil... But is it hurting anything? If it is, why didn't Ford engineers put these catch cans in the cars from the factory?

Thanks!

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Can someone fill me in on why everyone seems to be getting these? I know when I tore into the upper/lower intake on my Mach 1 that the intake was coated in oil... But is it hurting anything? If it is, why didn't Ford engineers put these catch cans in the cars from the factory?

Thanks!

It coats the innercooler in oil decreasing it's ability to cool, progressively getting worse; & any that goes back into the intake will lower the octane rating of the fuel and can cause detonation.

Probably not a factory installed item as it is extra maintenance and as long as the car in stock form lasts xxxx miles, they won't put them in, if I was to guess.

So in short they keep your car functioning like new :D

mullens

Established Member

Thanks!

You answered your own question. Oil doesn't belong in the intake. Period.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Just noticed I think you miss-read the first post.

You are correct, I mess read it, thought he said the Bobs was first. I'm curious to see the results with the Bobs in line first or two Bobs. Until a test is done we can't tell how much or if any oil is getting past the Bobs.

Last edited:

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
More efficient than what?

Every test has shown the Bobs can to be extremely effective. I haven't seen any post showing anything got past a Bobs can yet.

I think you are putting the cart before the horse.

Larger catch can volume, will be more efficeint. If the inlet and out let can be made further apart, in conjunction with the larger volume should catch more oil. Enough to make a difference over the Bobs? Don't know if it would be worth the effort. Real test would be to see what the intercooler looks like after a while using the Bobs. We know what no can will look like.

mach330

Established Member
It coats the innercooler in oil decreasing it's ability to cool, progressively getting worse; & any that goes back into the intake will lower the octane rating of the fuel and can cause detonation.

Probably not a factory installed item as it is extra maintenance and as long as the car in stock form lasts xxxx miles, they won't put them in, if I was to guess.

So in short they keep your car functioning like new :D

Got it... Will order tomorrow! :rockon:

Myfast70

Established Member
I can't wait to see how they work in the reverse order. I'm thinking there will still be a minimal amount in the JLT when they're reversed.

I've got a Bob's unit that I'll be installing shortly and doing some of my own testing. I've got my own can that I had used on an LS6 engine with outstanding results and want compare to the Bob's can. If all goes well I may have a new unit available sometime next year.

440sprint

Established Member
Has anyone been able to determine if there is a factory baffle in the valve cover at the PCV vent to catch the blow-by as was once noted?

Marc

Established Member
I kind of wish I didn't order the firewall mount. Has anyone come up with a clever way (other than ordering the other version) to mount it to the firewall WITHOUT drilling holes in it?

SGMPhil

The Sergeant Major
Established Member
Thank you for performing this test and sharing the results. I have JLT's in mine - sux that so much oil is getting past them. I would really be interested in seeing the results of them being installed in reverse.

M88K

Happy Spring Everybody! I hope everyone has finally been able to wake their ponies up from winter and hit the road!

Edward, I'm curious if you have an update for us on this topic?

-Marc

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Update:

I was finally able to update my previous test

I am not affiliated with either company.

I have found the JLT cans only catch roughly 50% of the oil going through. The Bob's is catching 95 - 99%. I tried with them both in series. First 3000 miles JLT was in front of Bob's. Both ended up with approx same amount of oil, (about 5 tblespn) Reversed them for another 3000 miles, the Bobs had roughly 9 tblespns. The JLT had 5 eye dropper drops in it. I feel the JLT has 2 design flaws. First the inlet/outlet are directly across from each other with no offset. Second, The JLT uses the stock small ID hoses. This doesn't allow the flow to slowdown enough to dissipate the oil in the canister.

Don't get me wrong, I am not downing the JLT product. I love the ease of installation, and the "factory" look much better. Their customer service is first rate, as is Bob's. For me function always trumps form, so for now I am sticking with Bob's.

sleek98

Established Member
Update:

I was finally able to update my previous test

I am not affiliated with either company.

I have found the JLT cans only catch roughly 50% of the oil going through. The Bob's is catching 95 - 99%. I tried with them both in series. First 3000 miles JLT was in front of Bob's. Both ended up with approx same amount of oil, (about 5 tblespn) Reversed them for another 3000 miles, the Bobs had roughly 9 tblespns. The JLT had 5 eye dropper drops in it. I feel the JLT has 2 design flaws. First the inlet/outlet are directly across from each other with no offset. Second, The JLT uses the stock small ID hoses. This doesn't allow the flow to slowdown enough to dissipate the oil in the canister.

Don't get me wrong, I am not downing the JLT product. I love the ease of installation, and the "factory" look much better. Their customer service is first rate, as is Bob's. For me function always trumps form, so for now I am sticking with Bob's.

Thanks for updating it with both methods. Im glad I went with a bobs over a JLT

Users who are viewing this thread