JLT vs AIRAID

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Thumbs up on this one... The runner length between the boss and the CJ are the same, CJ is one tenth larger at the opening near the injector.
The Plenum is much larger on the CJ... So if Ford racing in thier testing would have seen a difference in runner diameter, I think the CJ would have been made larger in runner bore

I say for the boss intake, open up the throttle body port as large as possible keeping all safe from structural failure and polish off the casting makes in the runners.
Stick a 90mm tb on the thing and then a CAI that fits best to the 90mm TB which is 3.54 inches ID... And sorry I do not have that answer to what CAI fits like this.

I agree. I think we have learned from the CJ that its all about getting as much air in as possible. If we take that same thinking reference the BOSS, than what you are saying makes perfect sense…Open up the TB inlet as much as safely possible, go with a 90mm TB, use a CAI best suited for a 90mm, and just clean up the castings in the runners…..Might have to try this….If nothing else, doing all this may help with the torque drop in the mid-range…Will it see the gains we are seeing with the CJ set-up?..Probably not, but it could be CLOSE if done right.

I have been debating doing the CJ set-up, but I'm just not sold with its price per hp over a GOOD Boss set-up.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Unfortunately, I don't. When I was doing my injector swap, I decided to port the intake on a whim. It was super easy. I opened up the TB inlet by first removing the fins from the top and bottom, then opening the inlet itself focusing more on the bottom and side radiuses. Then removed material from around the injector bungs, and reworked the radiuses without reshaping them.

So I assume no dyno results?… with just the ported vs. un-ported Boss?

Voltwings

Established Member
I agree. I think we have learned from the CJ that its all about getting as much air in as possible. If we take that same thinking reference the BOSS, than what you are saying makes perfect sense…Open up the TB inlet as much as safely possible, go with a 90mm TB, use a CAI best suited for a 90mm, and just clean up the castings in the runners…..Might have to try this….If nothing else, doing all this may help with the torque drop in the mid-range…Will it see the gains we are seeing with the CJ set-up?..Probably not, but it could be CLOSE if done right.

I have been debating doing the CJ set-up, but I'm just not sold with its price per hp over a GOOD Boss set-up.

I did the math a while back, and while i know its not 100% spot on, i think it only ended up being like a $200 difference or so said and done.

I dont have Steve's pricing on everything from Tasca, so some of this stuff i am using American muscle pricing on, obviously steve could get it cheaper but bear with me for the sake of example.

Cobra Jet IM: $653 from Tasca
Boss 302 IM: $499 from AM

Current difference: $154

90mm TB: $629 from AM
SCJ TB: $527 from Tasca

Current difference: (629-527 = 102) $154 - $102 = $52

Air raid CAI: $350
This is where it gets subjective, because Ford's elusive CAI is supposed to be $350 or so, but most other places have them listed at $400-600. Lets meet in the middle at $500.

Current difference: (500-350 = 150) $52 + $150 = $202.

Granted a lot of that is subjective but thats the general gist of things ... SCJ really ends up being not THAT much more than a full out BOSS set up.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
I did the math a while back, and while i know its not 100% spot on, i think it only ended up being like a $200 difference or so said and done.

I dont have Steve's pricing on everything from Tasca, so some of this stuff i am using American muscle pricing on, obviously steve could get it cheaper but bear with me for the sake of example.

Cobra Jet IM: $653 from Tasca
Boss 302 IM: $499 from AM

Current difference: $154

90mm TB: $629 from AM
SCJ TB: $527 from Tasca

Current difference: (629-527 = 102) $154 - $102 = $52

Air raid CAI: $350
This is where it gets subjective, because Ford's elusive CAI is supposed to be $350 or so, but most other places have them listed at $400-600. Lets meet in the middle at $500.

Current difference: (500-350 = 150) $52 + $150 = $202.

Granted a lot of that is subjective but thats the general gist of things ... SCJ really ends up being not THAT much more than a full out BOSS set up.

I see what you're saying, but for someone like me that already has a Boss manifold, its a good alternative….Personally, i'm not yet sold on spending the $$$ on a CJ set-up that trumps a stock Boss set-up by 15-20 hp. Used Boss intakes aren't selling like they used to on here, so its not like its guarantee that it would even sell for a good price, like they used to a year ago, if I was to abandon the Boss.

I added it up with the best prices I have found for a CJ set-up:

SCJ Intake Manifold- $653.13 Tasca
SCJ Mono-Blade TB- $527.25 Tasca...($525-Tousley)
Rev Auto 5" CAI- $450

Total: $1628…Call it $1650 Shipped for everything

VS.

Boss Intake- $0.00 (Already Have One)
Port Work- $0.00 (Do it myself)
Ford Racing 90mm TB- $550ish from Tasca
Airaid CAI- $302.67 from AM after discount

Total: $865ish Shipped

So for a guy that already has a Boss intake the Boss route would only cost a little more than half of what the best-priced CJ set-ups are selling for….Of course its a risk because there are no guarantees that the port work and larger TB will accomplish the gains we are looking for.

OneSlowV

Established Member
Mine was easy to put on i have the 101mm steeda. I know the older version i have heard some complaints on them.

Voltwings

Established Member
I see what you're saying, but for someone like me that already has a Boss manifold, its a good alternative….Personally, i'm not yet sold on spending the $$$ on a CJ set-up that trumps a stock Boss set-up by 15-20 hp. Used Boss intakes aren't selling like they used to on here, so its not like its guarantee that it would even sell for a good price, like they used to a year ago, if I was to abandon the Boss.

I added it up with the best prices I have found for a CJ set-up:

SCJ Intake Manifold- $653.13 Tasca
SCJ Mono-Blade TB- $527.25 Tasca...($525-Tousley)
Rev Auto 5" CAI- $450

Total: $1628…Call it $1650 Shipped for everything

VS.

Boss Intake- $0.00 (Already Have One)
Port Work- $0.00 (Do it myself)
Ford Racing 90mm TB- $550ish from Tasca
Airaid CAI- $302.67 from AM after discount

Total: $865ish Shipped

So for a guy that already has a Boss intake the Boss route would only cost a little more than half of what the best-priced CJ set-ups are selling for….Of course its a risk because there are no guarantees that the port work and larger TB will accomplish the gains we are looking for.

True... i guess what im saying makes more sense for someone like me who still has a GT intake. we need to find a few sets of people with CJ and boss manifolds and have them start lining up haha, we need some data!

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I ported my boss im too and ported the stock tb. Car came with jlt and I've always liked jlt. Bought a used Airaid and fitment to the tb with the boss is off a little compared to the jlt. I do like how it doesnt bottle neck before the tb with the Airaid. Just driving normal and while data logging for the flex tune, it's feels quicker but probably from the ported boss. But I'll keep the Airaid on there. To swap from intakes, new no. Used yes.

MKMotorsport

Established Member
We are picking pepper out of fly shit here. Anyone who has a JLT and thinks going to an Airaid is worth the money is nuts. Quality is top notch for sure, but from a power standpoint, its certainly not worth the money.

LOL on your analogy.

I have the standard JLT with the rest of the intake tract in my sig. I've wondered if it would be worth swapping to the AirAid?

Or am I just picking more pepper, ROFL....

KushBandit

Established Member
LOL on your analogy.

I have the standard JLT with the rest of the intake tract in my sig. I've wondered if it would be worth swapping to the AirAid?

Or am I just picking more pepper, ROFL....

If you already have the JLT, I don't see much of a point to getting the Airraid. It flows a bit more from what I've heard, however that's little gains for $300 or whatever it costs.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I would keep the jlt unless you found a great deal on an Airaid like I did. If anything, if you swap right now, you won't tell a difference.

MKMotorsport

Established Member
^^ thanks for the input. I'll likely keep it as I just got all the PCV, sound tube inlets deleted and smoothed up. Maybe down the road later this season if I get all else sorted if I can find a used one or someone that wants to trade I might try swapping just to get an intake tube to TB match only. I'm indifferent on aesthetics, ability to pull cold air, etc... only care purely about what numbers it generates on the track.

Users who are viewing this thread