JLT RAI/CAI dyno results on 99 Cobra. It works!

Tucker

Ok,
Heres the dyno graph. The car was drivin to the dyno and strapped down with in 1/2 hour or so. We did 1 base line run, then installed the RAI (about 15-20minutes) then did 1 run, then installed the CAI ( about 25-30 max!) and did the final run.
No, I do not have the coolant temps to prove that. But thats the way it was.
The air/fuel was in the 13.5 range through out.
The car had 60,000 miles-Full length headers-H or X pipe(?)-Cat back and BBK TB. Intake was stock with a CLEAN K&N air filter. Yes a K&N!
So a 16 HP / 17 TQ gain with the RAI
and a 20 HP / 23 TQ gain with the CAI
I know some will think "no way", but "way. It happened. The gains were much higher then we expected.
I don't show this on my site yet but it's avaliable. Just fill out the form and send me a email to tell me the year.
Thanks to Chris (car owner)and Frank & Brent @ DTP!

attachment.php

RioRed4v

Established Member
dang, i'm almost finished making my custom fiberglass intake. if my intake turns out like crap, i'll be ordering one of these up for sure.

RioRed4v

Established Member
also, on a N/A car, would the regular CAI be better than the RAI??? I know it nets more on the dyno, but for the track, I would assume the RAI would actually work better if you take the headlight out.

2JZFAN

Established Member
I'd just get the fender CAI, this kit is similar to the Morpheus and AFM.. it puts no bends before the MAF and makes power without the idle issues. You won't always have your headlight out.. and the few horsepower won't make that much difference. Go with the CAI.

What other mods did that car have for the dyno test?

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Originally posted by 2JZFAN
...You won't always have your headlight out.. and the few horsepower won't make that much difference...

I heard that a cobra with the UPR powerpipe gained 1 mph and a tenth when the headlight was removed. Man, these things are so cheap, just go with the "combo" kit he as advertised and swap in the RAI when you go to the track. :beer:

Tucker

Thanks Guys. I was amased at the results.
www.jlttruecoldair.com
Heres pics of the CAI. My camera screwed up when the RAI was on, but theres pics on the web site of it on other cars.
All pricing is the same on the kits. So just look at pricing for 96-98 or 03,04. Fill out the order form and I'll let you know if it's in stock and how long to ship.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

RioRed4v

Established Member
the RAI/CAI combo is actually a pretty decent deal. Didnt notice it came with all the adapters and stuff, that I'm pretty sure I would need with my stock MAF.

99SVTcobraVERT

20rwhp from a cold air kit.... this is along the lines of what the 03 cobra makes with one (20-25 and its blown with a blower known to be plagued with heat probs). how can this possibly be true? the most ive ever seen was along the lines of 10-12rwhp and most are 5-8 if truth be told. what correction factor was used? i guess it really doesnt matter as long as the baseline before was same factor as after the intake?

but i do have a serious question. im not trying to be an as shole or anything. if anything i HOPE this mod does truely bring that much hp. however, say someone bought this looking for 20rwhp and didnt even make half... say they didnt even make 10rwhp gain. would you be prepared to offer to take the product back and give them their money back? obviously it will work differently with every car but say they start out with about same hp at tires with same mods. but surely it would still be able to pick up at least 50% of what this 99 did?

i realize that no other company does this hardly but i have heard of new companies ,with new products offering a money back promise in order to build business. would you offer this to the 99-01 guys? i mean at least within a certain percentage of what you advertise? because i would think if anything this would be in your best interest. as a matter of fact i have a friend that would buy one, and do a before and after dyno. then post the results either way. a dyno coming from a 3rd party would be strong as death for sales as long as its positive. you seem like a cool guy around the site. im interested to see what you can offer the new edge guys?

also, i know few owners of performance shops that would stock your product if they saw these gains and i am sure would want to set up wholesale accounts.

Tucker

The correction factors were low. 1st baseline was 1.020 2nd RAI was 1.014 and 3rd CAI was 1.012. It was a hot day also, hi 80's.
I posted the mods this car had, which was full exhaust. This helped the #'s for sure. The back end was open and the front end was not. Everyone knows all cars are differant and produce differant results with the same mod.

I was blown away at the results of this test myself, but the #'s are true.
I will not guarntee a exact gain, although there will be a gain.
If theres no gain I will be happy to return the money.
The gains will be differant depending on what you already have.
Hell, I did a 98 the same way and gained 16 RWHP. So I know it works. Theres always going to be sceptics out there, but thats ok.

The 99's are starting to sell already so we may have some independent tests soon enough.

One thing thats everyone seems to miss is the look. Heck even if it gained 5-7 HP (which is way low)on your car, It looks like nothing out there. Get it in your body color and everyone will be all over it. Believe me it happens.

Tell your friend to get ahold of me, I have no problem with 3rd party test, but I won't guarntee 20 HP. But it could happen!

BTW look at the TQ curve, It gained 20 RWTQ most of the run. Thats seat of the pants power!

99SVTcobraVERT

ill have him contact you but like i said what about even 50% gain of what happened on that cobra on a similar one with same mods? yes it is different and looks very good in body color. but if it turned out to make what all the others did and i paid that much thinking 10-20 i would be very upset. i really hope the independant tests go as well as your in house. aftermarket companies are starting to come around to showing real numbers in stead of bolting on a catback to a supercharged 347 stroker that had all stock exhaust before and then claiming that number as *up to* but never stating the real numbers on average mod cars or even a range. you seem like a very rep. person. so i hope it works out for you :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread