JLT next gen CAI issue.

Sonic blue

Wax addict.
Established Member
So i decided to upgrade from my mac 90 degree lower intake to a JLT next gen cai with the mass air meter mount on the tube (that has to be drilled out) and/or using stock maf assembly next to the filter in the fender. I installed the maf in the tube, and after a short drive, the car boggs down bad under boost. reinstalled my mac lower/stock upper and its fine. BTW the maf sensor is before the iat sensor on the stock upper, but after the iat sensor on the jlt. Should i have to reset the pcm for it to recognize the difference, or is it strictly in need of a new tune for the jlt to work??:shrug:

Sonic blue

Wax addict.
Established Member
The reason i wanted to do this swap is because of my car dying if i let the rpms fall too quickly in cold weather. Cruising with the jlt cured this completely, but under boost, it falls on its face. Stock eaton, stock pumps, stock maf, 2.76 billetflow pulley w/idlers and tensioner, mac prochamber h, magnaflow cb, 12 psi, tune. Currently trying out the "proper" boost bypass mod. Fuel pressure vacuum hooked to top of actuator, etc.

Last edited:

itzl0l

Angry Bald Man
Established Member
Are you using the maf in the tube or in the stock housing in the fender?

Sonic blue

Wax addict.
Established Member
Tube.. should i have tried it in the fender, before the iat, or does that even matter? i figured that could be my problem, since the maf is on the opposite side of the iat with the tube mount. I had to stop for a beer on the way home from the late night aggravation..

Last edited:

spdtrip

Established Member
You installed the stock maf in the tube? I think you need sct meter.

Last edited:

Sonic blue

Wax addict.
Established Member
Yea, should i try blocking off that port and using it in the fender?
The directions were useless as far as describing the tube mount. i was weary about the maf being in the fender, but that is my only choice now i guess.

Last edited:

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
putting the maf sensor itself into the tube would require a retune of the xfr function.. isnt that tube like 100 mm and the maf housing is 90 mm.. not to mention that the maf is in a totally different orientation.. you need to retune it

Sonic blue

Wax addict.
Established Member
Thanks for the info. So you don't think mounting the stock maf housing in the fender will work either? Since, the maf will be before the iat sensor like the stock upper tube. I'm working on getting a wide band in the next few days.

Last edited:

itzl0l

Angry Bald Man
Established Member
The stalling when coming to a stop is a well known issue...its the tune.

Put the maf in the fender so it will drive right.....but it may still stall. With the maf in the tube you HAVE to have the car tuned.

Sonic blue

Wax addict.
Established Member
Ok. I will tackle that tmrw and report back. The car ran fine with no stall when not in boost using the jlt. Now i need to find a way to block off that big hole in the tube now. May just modify a dead maf sensor to seal it.

TRBO VNM

So JLT new intake with stock MAF?

Guess you didn't read this on his site?

MOLDED IN MAF
The best part of this new JLT Cold Air is we kicked the cool factor up a notch and molded a 105mm MAF housing right in the tube. Now you have a kit you can grow into and not have to buy a complete new kit when you reach 550-600 RWHP. Putting a Whipple or Kenne Bell blower on your 03, 04 Cobra? Simply drill out the pre molded plug on the MAF block located on the bottom of the tube, discreetly out of sight. Install your SCT MAF 2600 or 3000 sensor electronics, add our huge 4.5 X 12” S&B Powerstack filter and you’ve now changed your JLT Cold Air Intake into a JLT High Boost 12” Intake. Molding the MAF into the tube makes for a much smoother air flow with no couplers, reducers or separate MAF housing and can support 800+RWHP for only the cost of the 12” upgrade kit, $60.00.
Will not work with stock MAF, SCT 2400 or 2800 MAF

Sonic blue

Wax addict.
Established Member
I got ahead of myself with the intake, but i pulled it all apart earlier, installed the maf in the fender. Car runs great now. No more hesitation or stalling, perfect. Thanks for all the help, guys. $ well spent.

TRBO VNM

LOL, guess that answered my question.

Glad you got it taken care of. And get the a/f checked. Don't be going WOT.

itzl0l

Angry Bald Man
Established Member
Glad to hear ya got it worked out man.....now, like the man above me said, spend a little bit to at least make a dyno pull with afr so you know if its rich or lean.

...or spend a bit more for a wideband and always know how its running.... :)

Sonic blue

Wax addict.
Established Member
A wideband purchase is in the works.. The car was tuned for the mac, but seems to love the jlt so much more. I wish i could kick my own ass for cutting that hole out, but still a great product since it cured all of my annoying idle and stalling issues.

Sonic blue

Wax addict.
Established Member
Yea, pistons turn into binoculars. No wot here. Just tested it to 8psi to make sure everything played out like it did before the cai swap.(i'm not in boost much). Should i use my sct sf3 tuner to get it worked out my own, or another dyno tune? I have to get my ecu reflashed before i can run my own tune either way. I'm done with engine bolt on's for now since it's my off/on daily driver.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Well I don't know what you have and everything. If the car is tuned now for the mods, minus the JLT and you can't stay out of the gas, I would at least remove a couple degrees of timing and add fuel through the flasher. But since you aren't going WOT, then you probably don't need to worry about it. And since you don't have a wideband gauge right now, I would get it to a dyno and have a custom tune done on it.

Users who are viewing this thread