JLT intake with SCT Lund tune problems

dc3843

Established Member
He has done nothing that I suggested. Go back and read his posts, all he did was check to see if the intake was leaking and then complain that it has rough edges.

OP do this...

Leave the intake on the car and flash / go back to the stock map. Do not touch anything else. If the problem goes away its not the intake. If the problem is still there reinstall the tune with the stock intake. Do not drive the car hard but it should idle fine. If the problem goes away it is the intake or the install.

Is it possible to put the intake tube or the maf on backwards?

Not possible to install the tube or the maf backwards. There's only one slot of the maf and the maf will only fit in it one way, I thought that too for a minute but its all in there correctly.

dc3843

Established Member
Update:

okay, I finally got away from the family long enough to go out and do some serious troubleshooting. Put the car back on the stock tune with the JLT intake. Result: Ran fine, no problems. Put the Custom tune back in with JLT intake. Result: Same problems as before, sans the dying when depressing the clutch. But throttle blips still make the car die, especially when cold. Put the Stock CAI on with custom tune. Result: Same issues.

So, given those results, I've emailed them to VMP to have a look at their tune and see if there might be a small glitch somewhere. Reminded them of my mods just in case, so we'll see where it goes.

Also, does it make a difference that I deleted the sound tube for this install? Thanks.

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
Sound tube won't matter at all as long as you plug the hole on the intake where it came from.

dc3843

Established Member
HOLY CRAP! Okay, now I need some fresh ideas. Started the car tonight with the stock CAI in it and the tune reverted to Stock. STILL having the problem where if I blip the throttle the car dies. The only thing I left off was the sound tube, which is still capped off with the rubber cap provided in the JLT kit. So, my question is, how can I tell if my MAF was somehow damaged? I only took it out of the stock housing, moved it to the JLT, then back to the stock location. Never set it down or anything else. BUT, I know sometimes these things are fragile. Is there a way to tell if its failed or messed up?

dc3843

Established Member
Happy Easter everyone, hope you all are having a great day. I worked on the car some more this morning, put the sound tube back on. With the regular key, I still have the dying problem when blipping the throttle. With the track key however, I have no issues. I was under the impression that once I installed this program I would lose my track key even if i returned the car to stock? I had the track key functionality even with the custom tune loaded. Could that be part of the confusion? I know these types of installs are supposed to be pretty straight forward I'm not sure why my car is having such problems....

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
It may have something to do with the track key and the aftermarket tune. I have no first hand experience with it, but have read its tricky to do. Did the tuner know you had the track key already programmed?

dc3843

Established Member
How do I post pics? I don't believe the tuner knew I had the track key installed. I just let him know that. The question never came up. If someone can tell me how to post pics I'll post pics of the install. Thanks.

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
Since he didn't know you had the track key I think that's probably the issue. I'm totally guessing though.

Tucker

Sorry to hear your having such issues with this combo, but it sounds like your close to getting it figured out.
This is a package that has been around for over 3 years and on thousands of cars, so it's a proven combo, somethings getting missed.

There is a lip missing from the inside of the air filter that is causing the maf readings to be off according to Justin with vmp
This is concerning as there is nothing "missing" at all and again, this combo in on thousands of 5.0s without these type of issues.
The fact that Justin said this is the cause of your issues is bothersome.
Just make sure the filter is at the end of the tube.

okay, I finally got away from the family long enough to go out and do some serious troubleshooting. Put the car back on the stock tune with the JLT intake. Result: Ran fine, no problems. Put the Custom tune back in with JLT intake. Result: Same problems as before, sans the dying when depressing the clutch. But throttle blips still make the car die, especially when cold. Put the Stock CAI on with custom tune. Result: Same issues.

So, given those results, I've emailed them to VMP to have a look at their tune and see if there might be a small glitch somewhere. Reminded them of my mods just in case, so we'll see where it goes.

Also, does it make a difference that I deleted the sound tube for this install? Thanks.
It will run great and make power with the stock tune for about 20 +/- miles then go into limp mode. The widebands will adjust the fuel tables for a while then say "Hey, FIX ME" LOL

This also confirms your issues are not intake related.
Happy Easter everyone, hope you all are having a great day. I worked on the car some more this morning, put the sound tube back on. With the regular key, I still have the dying problem when blipping the throttle. With the track key however, I have no issues. I was under the impression that once I installed this program I would lose my track key even if i returned the car to stock? I had the track key functionality even with the custom tune loaded. Could that be part of the confusion? I know these types of installs are supposed to be pretty straight forward I'm not sure why my car is having such problems....

:idea: This could be 2 things.
Either the track key is removing the VMP tune and it's running good, just like discussed above (stock tune making corrections for a while)
Or
It really makes a difference when creating the tune.

I would get this info to Justin, return the car to stock, use stock key and retune.

Let me know if you need anything from me, [email protected]

Jay

BSG Boss

Established Member
Did you ever touch the small wire looking piece that actually reads the airflow? If so they sell air meter cleaner, spray it a little and use a microfiber cloth to clean it. If it was dropped or they have been bent or scuffed in anyway it will have to be replaced. Also have you call Jay Tucker? I did not buy the JLT cai on my 08 Roush from him but when I had an issue with it he sent me a new one and sent a prepaid box to send back the bad one!!! His customer service was awesome and he was very helpful over the phone when I explained what was wrong!! Good luck bud!!

dc3843

Established Member
No I sure didn't but I went ahead and went with a local shop here and had them do a custom tune. All works well now, no issues. I then had them install a magnaflow catback and do ANOTHER tune. So the car is running great now with no issues at all.

Users who are viewing this thread