JLT intake with SCT Lund tune problems

dc3843

Established Member
I got the JLT and the tuner but I'm having a problem. I just installed the intake and set up the tune, but when I start the car, it immediatlet wants to die. It drops really low, sometimes dying, then comes back up. If I tap the gas, it has the same problem. I have a loud whistle coming from the intake when the car starts, when the gas is pressed, and when I turn it off it whistles once the engine dies. Any ideas on whats going on here?

dc3843

Established Member
oh yea, and if I unplug the maf and start the car, it starts just fine. but if I tap the gas, same problem.

sadil

Established Member
I was going to say maybe idle rpm setting is messed up, but then you mentioned the whistle which could mean an air leak due to incorrect install? Other guys will know better.

dc3843

Established Member
Ive triple checked the install, everything seems to be tight. I will say though, I'm not super impressed with the build quality of the intake. Lot of raw edges, and the slot thats cut out for the MAF is pretty rough.

AZBOSS

Established Member
Some intake noise is normal with CAIs but the whistling sound means you probably have a loose connection/clamp that is letting air in after the MAF.

Check all your hardware and make sure the MAF is plugged in as well, if it persists...call Lund.

dc3843

Established Member
Yea I called and sent some data logs to em. i'm not sure how else I could install this thing to make the clamps any tighter. Who knows.

AZBOSS

Established Member
Yea I called and sent some data logs to em. i'm not sure how else I could install this thing to make the clamps any tighter. Who knows.

Make sure you check the connection at the throttle body--I've seen times where the coupler "rubber" gets bound up and actually doesn't seat properly at the bottom of the throttle body. Make sure it's uniform and seated around the entire TB.

dc3843

Established Member
yea, its seated, but the jlt intake isnt uniform at the throttle body side, its shaped weird and took a little massaging to get in the coupler where everything was covered. Not sure whats up. It seems to have fixed itself though. No more whistle, no more dying on the start. Short blips on the throttle still make it stumble but its not that bad. Maybe it just needed to settle in?

dc3843

Established Member
Well I thought it was fixed but it sat all day and then I started it and its doing it again with an added symptom. I was on the highway, got off, pressed in the clutch while braking and the damn car died. Like the maf was getting too much air at idle. I'm not sure what's wrong but I'm about to uninstall the whole damn thing and return it all. This is BS.

hkerekes

Established Member
Well I thought it was fixed but it sat all day and then I started it and its doing it again with an added symptom. I was on the highway, got off, pressed in the clutch while braking and the damn car died. Like the maf was getting too much air at idle. I'm not sure what's wrong but I'm about to uninstall the whole damn thing and return it all. This is BS.

Before you bad mouth the product you need to be sure what the problem is

Take the tuner off / flash the stock map and see if the problem goes away.
If not take the intake off and put the stock one on with the tune.
Even though the tune isnt calibrated for the stock intake it shouldnt have idle issues, just dont go around driving the piss out of it.

You will find whether the issue is the intake or the tune or user / install error. The intake/tune could be fine.............................

Last edited:

jayman33

Before you bad mouth the product you need to be sure what the problem is

Take the tuner off / flash the stock map and see if the problem goes away.
If not take the intake off and put the stock one on with the tune.
Even though the tune isnt calibrated for the stock intake it shouldnt have idle issues, just dont go around driving the piss out of it.

You will find whether the issue is the intake or the tune or user / install error. The intake/tune could be fine.............................

I don't think he was bad mouthing anything, just showing his frustration. He bought these parts from me as I'm a dealer for said companies, he's been nothing but understandable. I understand his frustration, OP has done most of the things you suggested. I would reflash your car back to stock, update the tuner if need be, reupload the tune and reflash your car. If you haven't done this already.

hkerekes

Established Member
I don't think he was bad mouthing anything, just showing his frustration. He bought these parts from me as I'm a dealer for said companies, he's been nothing but understandable. I understand his frustration, OP has done most of the things you suggested. I would reflash your car back to stock, update the tuner if need be, reupload the tune and reflash your car. If you haven't done this already.

He has done nothing that I suggested. Go back and read his posts, all he did was check to see if the intake was leaking and then complain that it has rough edges.

OP do this...

Leave the intake on the car and flash / go back to the stock map. Do not touch anything else. If the problem goes away its not the intake. If the problem is still there reinstall the tune with the stock intake. Do not drive the car hard but it should idle fine. If the problem goes away it is the intake or the install.

Is it possible to put the intake tube or the maf on backwards?

dc3843

Established Member
There is a lip missing from the inside of the air filter that is causing the maf readings to be off according to Justin with vmp. I wasn't bad mouthing the tune, nor the intake, or anything else. Frustrated? Hell yes. But I don't bad mouth anyone and yes, I did everything you asked as far as resetting the car to the stock tune. I didn't swap the stock intake back in though. Turns out I didn't need to. So I've got it now where it idles fine even after startup but throttle blips and highway driving then pressing in the clutch still kill the car. Still working at it

dc3843

Established Member
That's who I was originally going to go with. Let me know how it works out for you bud. You have me a little nervous lol.

Nothing wrong with them at all man, and Justin was emailing with me all night the other. Night trying to figure it out. Good guys, good product support for sure. I wouldn't be hesitant about going with them for whatever you need.

Users who are viewing this thread