JLT CAI.

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
Just installed. Heat shield or no heat shield. No tune in car. Will performance be hurt without it?.
23e9e9af9cea91a1cebcee9ea1101da2.jpg
4bbaf04231ea68ea51432cf7b9d8bec6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
JLT said no tune needed on this one. I was wondering if the heat shield would hurt or help. I know a tune would make a big deference but for now I want to keep it factory.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
heat shield. it will pull warmer air from the engine compartment with out it
Even when you're driving? Won't it only pull hot engine air when you're stopped at a red light or something? Fresh cool air gets shoved at it between the hood and headlight. I didn't put the heat shield on mine and it's making great power.

I believe No tune necessary but of course performance would be optimized with one.

When I first got the car I added a RAI and didn't retune it. Still ran fine, butt dyno noticed a boost in performance and threw it on a dyno at a dyno day car meet/show and it was still really rich.

Steve Cea

Established Member
JLT said no tune needed on this one. I was wondering if the heat shield would hurt or help. I know a tune would make a big deference but for now I want to keep it factory.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I don't believe what JLT told you at all , said the same with my car until it was on the Dyno !! It needed the tune

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
I read some testing results that IATs were the same or within a degree or so once moving with a RAI vs CAI.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Go with a heat shield, not only does it keep the warm engine air out but it just aesthetically looks better imo.
Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I'm just the opposite. I thought the shield on there looked terrible and odd. Took that flimsy thing right back off

cj428mach

Established Member
I run the heat shield because it looks better and also helps prevent maf issues from the engine fan.

More than likely the tune will be close just check it with a wideband.

Jason G76

SVT build
Established Member
Is all else stock? You may get away with it if your don't do anything else. I think these cars came rich from the factory. Tune still wouldn't hurt. @Zemedici @03cobra694

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As far as I know I believe your right about that I have a local shop with a dyno and it's like a 79 and up graveyard in the back.. anyway I remember a conversation awhile back about this and they did say this about air fuel ratio... but back to the cai with no heat shield I use to have one without and they said get rid of it so I did and so I changed it to the fender well.. I know my car is a little different from this cause as of the moment I am not supercharged but it's in the future, I would personally want a heat shield because the supercharger creates more heat in the engine bay or so I've been told and have read... I'm no expert by any means but I'm here to participate and learn what I can

big dad

Established Member
This, especially about the coolant fan backwash. Sorry , I was referring to cj428machs post.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
I run the heat shield because it looks better and also helps prevent maf issues from the engine fan.

More than likely the tune will be close just check it with a wideband.
When I had mine installed and tuned a performance Dyno. Pete never put it on so I never even said a word. I figured he knew what was better. So I still have zero heat shield.

Users who are viewing this thread