JLT CAI with aftermarket k member ?????

straightpaint

Established Member
Hey everyone I just finished reading up on the Cai from jlt they're claiming that it will not fit with most strut Tower braces or aftermarket K members is this true?

Balt21

Established Member
I've heard a lot about the issues with strut tower bars, but not really with K members. It does state on their site that it doesn't fit with aftermarket K members though too, so I'd take there word for it.

Some people say they can tell a difference without the strut bar and others say it feels the same. You can always take it off before you buy the intake to see how it feels.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
What would the KMember have anything to do with it unless it lowers the engine in the bay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

straightpaint

Established Member
Yeah I was finally able to locate the muffler bearings after 25 painstaking years of searching. RX7 Pistons too. I would tend to believe what deceptive GT said could be the reason it may have moved the motor and some way that the tube may not aligned correctly with the hole in the fender well. I plan on calling jlt today to discuss this with them and find out if I need to worry or not I'll keep you posted on their response

straightpaint

Established Member
Okay jlt claims it will not fit with most strut Tower braces or aftermarket K members the reason for no aftermarket K members is they've never put one in a car with an aftermarket K member there should be no reason why that should affect the fitment of this product nor will it. The reason they say does not fit with most strut Tower braces is because the diameter of the tubing they use is larger than Factory and it is tight as it is usually. Solution I just discussed with them and Ford performance is shim the rear fire wall mount for the strut Tower brace up to 3/8 of an inch constantly checking for Hood clearance if you've gone to three eighths of an inch and can still not get it heat up and with a ball-peen hammer dent in the strut Tower brace over the intake tube there is no issues known with the tube not going through the fender wall. once I actually execute I'll take photos and let everybody know that it's alright because it's a damn shame not to be able to use this amazing product on these cars for stupid reasons like that

Last edited:

cbrown9064

Established Member
Very good and through research!

However, I think the CAIs are a huge waste of money on a stockish motor. No matter what the snake oil salesmen claim. The stock air box is already "cold air" as it gets its air from the fender.

Sorry to be so harsh, but this is akin to putting a "Lightning MAF and matched injectors in".

ZeroDCX

Established Member
^ This.

Stock intake setup with a K&N filter is tantamount to most aftermarket CAI setups without the aesthetically pleasing appearance.

Snagmaster

Established Member
And C&L makes a CAI that will fit under the stock brace, I've read up on it and the JLT and they seem to make the same amount of power, I wanted the JLT but will probably go with the C&L if I do it at all.

I took the factory rubber silencer boot and cut it back to install a 3 inch bushing (plastic pipe) in it, I then used 3 inch plastic dryer hose and a three way plastic coupling to install a system that pulls air from the empty fog light holes in the bumper (Cobra's are round).

I then used black zip ties to hold the tubing in place behind the bumper, so I ended up with a 3 inch ram air intake setup tied into the factory air box with a K&N filter in place.

March performance sell a very similar setup for around $160, I
think I spent a total of $25 on my version and it seems to do the job quite nicely.

If I can ever figure out how to post pics I'll do so here.

Snagmaster

Established Member
BTW I've already contacted JLT as to which braces will clear their CAI's, the answer was that they don't know.

Although it looks in the pics I've seen that the Steeda brace for 1999-2004 cobras has the passenger side of the brace where it bolts to the strut tower a lot higher in arch than an earlier style.

It looks as though it would clear the CAI easily but although the 98 and the 99 are both SN95's it may not clear the hood on the earlier cars.

There's that exact 99 up bar for sale locally and I may take a drive over to see if it would fit but it's 55 miles away.

There is a huge " Mustangs on the Waterfront " show where I live on July 31st and I'm taking a tape measure with me to find out what fits what as I'm sure there will be plenty of examples to look at.

I'll post what I find here.

Snagmaster

Established Member
The later Mach one/03-04 cobra bar from Steeda is different from the earlier bar on my 98 cobra.

The 98 bar has the two fore/aft bars from the firewall terminate at the strut towers and the forward cross bar is welded into them.

The later 03-04 bar has the forward cross bar terminate at the strut towers and the two fore/aft bars from the firewall welded to the cross bar.

It looks like the strut mount plates are the same in bolt count and location on the strut towers so the bar should physically bolt right in.

It sure looks like the later bar would work in the earlier car and clear a JLT CAI as both intakes are situated in the same area, it just remains to be seen if the hood will close over it.

I will take detailed measurements of my 98 and check the new edge cars during the show as I said, I'd be amazed if this question hasn't been answered by someone already but as the search engine won't work who knows?.

I could always modify my bar but using another that works is much more appealing.

If I find that you can use the later bar I'll buy the one for sale locally and put up pics here.

I'm amazed that JLT hasn't done the work to answer this question as I think they'd sell more CAI's.

Snagmaster

Established Member
The show was great, there was a member there with a mystichrome? Terminator that was my favorite except for the three 2016 Shelby GT 350's.

I didn't find any Steeda bars on a terminator or 99 on up Cobra, but I saw two cars with Maximum Motorsports bars that looked like they would do the job on the earlier cars with the JLT.

I was told to call MM and talk to Jason, he's the man that knows what will work, I did measure the MM bar on a terminator so I'll check mine today to see if it would work, it looks good but you never know, the front crossbar is quite high and is above the supercharger but the bar has a high arch where the JLT Tube would go under.

Snagmaster

Established Member
I measured my engine in the same places I measured the terminator with the MM bar and I'm sure it will work but let the buyer beware.

The top of the 96-98 intake at the front is at ten inches above the upper tensioner boss on the pass side head, the MM term bar is eleven inches high at that point.

At the arched area off the pass strut tower the earlier bar is way too low for a JLT, on the term bar it was at 4-1/2 inches and it sure looked like it would clear the JLT intake.

But with out the JLT intake and a MM term bar at hand it's just not a sure thing.

Another thing is that the MM bars I saw on all SN95's were hell for stout with extra bracing and a much larger tube diameter than mine, I think from now on Maximum Motorsports will be getting my money for any parts I need for my frame and such.

In fact they just came out with an improved stronger set of subframe connectors, these are what Brads Custom Auto in lake city will be installing on my Cobra this fall along with Kenny Brown X braces and torque box reinforcements.

My car won't really be raced but I want it strong as it's a vert.

Users who are viewing this thread