JetSki Wave Runner guys...

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
looking to get into a pair of jet skis, what do you guys recommend and why? are the supercharged ones really that much better than there NA counterparts on the water? it's a tossup between seadoo and yamaha is what I'm seeing. the lake is a big lake in the area. it's Lake Texoma....so lots of room for these things to run.

I was debating about a cheapo new one and a loaded out one for me :rockon:

crew_dawg16

Established Member
looking to get into a pair of jet skis, what do you guys recommend and why? are the supercharged ones really that much better than there NA counterparts on the water? it's a tossup between seadoo and yamaha is what I'm seeing. the lake is a big lake in the area. it's Lake Texoma....so lots of room for these things to run.

I was debating about a cheapo new one and a loaded out one for me :rockon:

The super / turbocharged 4 strokes are going to use A LOT less gas than the 2 strokes. Also, no oil injection to worry about on the 4 strokes.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
honda aquatraxx is hands down th best ski on the market. take it from me. ive had several skis. from yamaha, seadoo, kawi, honda.

a 2 stroke GPR series will be slightly faster out of the hole and stock to stock will outrun a R12x. a simple and inexpensive maxboost tuner will solve the top end and will hit about 70mph with a single rider on glass... the Yamaha and kawis is a more of a race ski then anything. it sucks at no wake and is prone to tipping, esp.with two people on it.

I prefer the honda over them because its great with two people, great in no wake, handles very good, its fast and you feel the turbo spool up and it pulls.. hard. I had a Macboost and a BOV and my honda would hit 71ish on glass and will be side by side my riva stage 2 GP1300r from a roll. the honda gets 10x better fuel mileage. you have no worries about pre mix or the oil pump taking a crap and destroying your engine. I have found the honda to be much more reliable. both skis sat outside last winter. and fully winterized of course.. I pull edthem out and charge up the battery.... the yamaha took forever to get fired up.... the honda.. first try.

If not the honda. I would strongly recommend taking a look at the kawi Ultra 250/260/300. four stroke, fast, you can mod them easily with a simple pulley and intercooler makes a big difference. they are just pricey.

Last edited:

mug11

Established Member
Our 4 stroke 3-seater Sea doo will go 65 with me on it. I would say a supercharged one is not necessary unless you plan on trying to race people.

Get a 2 seater and a 3 seater. The 2 for being more faster/more manuverable, have the 3 seater for carrying friends. N/a Sea-doo's still make 165+ HP Idk what the S/C make.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Most of the performance machine have close to the same top speed (within about 5mph). The difference is that the higher HP ones get there much faster. I'd go for an Ultra 300 if you want to spend tons of cash. I'd look for a used Honda if you want a cheaper reliable craft.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i have had several. im partial to SeaDoo. always had less matainence with those. pretty reliable. my polaris was always having issues.

my last one was the supercharged GTX...very fast out of the gate.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
never been a honda fan. everyone can claim they are reliable, I've had more problems with hondas than any kawasaki and yamaha I've ever owned. Sea doo is one of the top competitors. I love my brute force 750i.....awesome machine.

tips for a noob?

bluebullitt256

Established Member
Ive had an F12x Honda Aquatrax and loved it. Hands down the cheapest/most reliable ski for the money. Only complaints Honda owners seem to have is light cavitation out of the hole when starting from WOT. This is cured by a aftermarket Solas impeller.

My F12X gpscape had the Macsboost module and solas impeller and would keep up with or out-do almost anything on the water. Even with the mods the Honda got 10x better fuel economy than the other brands.

Trust us on this one, if you want a fast/reliable ski go with the honda. and just FYI: the X indicates the Turbo models. The F12/F15 are 3 seaters while the R12 is a 2 seater.

bluebullitt256

Established Member
Look up the reviews from the Honda's...you wont be disappointed. I had mine for 2 years and put several hundred hours on it and only maintenence that needed to be done was an oil change and lubing a few grease/zerk fittings.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
great minds think alike.

1. Honda aquatrax series
2. Kawi Ultra 250/260/300
3. Yamaha GPR - also be warned they do not have reverse and all are two strokes
3. Sea doo Rxp series

those skis are going to be priced between $5000-$10000 depending on the year, hours, mods.

if you a first timer. i recommend getting a cheap ski. something you can learn, bang up and no worry about. thats how I started. I started with a stock 98 GP1200 for $1000 with single trailer, then stepped up the the GP1200R, then a ULTRA 150, then modded GP1300R and the R12x. now I have no skis :( im shopping for a Aquatrax and Ultra 260 because I want two skis again.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
I started out on older Tigersharks and have ridden my fair share of skis. Over the past 10 years or so I have owned an older Seadoo RXDI, a Yamaha GP1300R and now have a Seadoo RXT-X. I've ridden XPs and Ultra 150's. Hands down my RXT-X is the best thing I have ever been on.
I do quite a bit of distance riding though and a lot of times the water conditions aren't the greatest so having the big ski is very nice.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Go to greenhulk.net and do research on the top brands. If you're wanting to get into more of the performance side of the house, you'll want one of the big 3 (SeaDoo, Kawi, Yamaha). I've had my current RXP for the past 5 years and only thing it's ever needed was a new carbon seal on the driveshaft. The jetski market is getting to be like the car market, newer skis are much more powerful but they are way heavier than the older models as well. For example, the Kawi Ultra 300 is almost 300 lbs heavier than my '04 RXP.

Twisted2v

Established Member
A lake is perfect for a supercharged one if the water is glass, but all that power is not usable on the ocean. I worked at a jet ski rental where we have to ride them out with the customers. The older two strokes are very fun, but for one person only. We also had new Yamaha 4 strokes that were pretty fast. My favorite one was an older one we used to call the bus because it was so big. You could fit 4 or 5 people on it, but a big motor and hull.

MTBSully

Established Member
take this for what its worth, but i've ridden them all.

Sea-doo:
(Mine) 2004 GTX 4-tec 185hp Supercharger 3 seater: Stable, seats 3, very very quick out of the hole, tracks well, somewhat easy to spin out, not too bad in the chop.

(Friends)
2010 RXP-X: 2 seater, 255hp supercharged, adjustable handlebars, adjustable trim, finger throttle.....Stupid quick out of the whole, stupid fast, honestly the most fun you can have with or without your pants on on the water. Thing straight up jumps out of the water and will do wheelies if you gun it with the trim up.

Kawasaki

Jet Ski STX: Don't have as much seat time on this one but it was stable, decently quick, and somewhat quiet. Seemed a bit more refined than the others.

Honda

2008 Aquatrax Turbo: Super fun ski. Not sure on the HP rating but its just as quick as mine, tracks well, much easier to spin out and is relatively stable.

Haven't ridden any yamaha's recently but i sat on one and it just seemed like a boat rather than a jet ski.

Conclusion: Ride a few and see what you like. If your 22 and stupid like me, the RXP will keep you entertained for a long time, or until you run out of money to put gas in it (whichever comes first).

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
it being a big lake swells are typical and white caps not uncommon. what I don't want is to have to worry tremendously about them. would a larger ski like the yamaha's handle that better? I'm 26. and when you say spin out, I assume you mean unintentionally.

7.62x51

Established Member
I have a Riva Stage III RXP and a 2011 RXP-X. I would recommend either a 215HP RXP or the 255 HP RXP-X. They can be found used for around 6-7k.

BTW - I do most of my riding in the ocean, and make the trip from Dana Point to Catalina island several times. I've also ridden from Oceanside to Mission Bay and back in a single day. The big hull and power of the RXP has yet to let me down.

Well, except for the time when it sucked in a ton of kelp, and I had to emergency surgery underneath the hull out in the middle of the pacific - in the kelp beds. Something rubbery brushed my leg a few times while I was working underwater, had to keep my cool lol. After about 20 minutes of work I finally got all the kelp out and it started right up and was able to ride home.

Also, just like anything that has alot of power and goes fast - the RXP-X may seem to have overwhelming speed the first couple of times that you mash it, but you'll quickly want to upgrade it. There is a rather big aftermarket for them now - turbo kits, etc ,etc.

Good luck

MTBSully

Established Member
it being a big lake swells are typical and white caps not uncommon. what I don't want is to have to worry tremendously about them. would a larger ski like the yamaha's handle that better? I'm 26. and when you say spin out, I assume you mean unintentionally.

intentionally. Its incredibly fun :rolling:

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I have a Riva Stage III RXP and a 2011 RXP-X. I would recommend either a 215HP RXP or the 255 HP RXP-X. They can be found used for around 6-7k.

BTW - I do most of my riding in the ocean, and make the trip from Dana Point to Catalina island several times. I've also ridden from Oceanside to Mission Bay and back in a single day. The big hull and power of the RXP has yet to let me down.

Well, except for the time when it sucked in a ton of kelp, and I had to emergency surgery underneath the hull out in the middle of the pacific - in the kelp beds. Something rubbery brushed my leg a few times while I was working underwater, had to keep my cool lol. After about 20 minutes of work I finally got all the kelp out and it started right up and was able to ride home.

Also, just like anything that has alot of power and goes fast - the RXP-X may seem to have overwhelming speed the first couple of times that you mash it, but you'll quickly want to upgrade it. There is a rather big aftermarket for them now - turbo kits, etc ,etc.

Good luck

+1 on getting bored with power, I've been looking at sc, ic, ride plate, intake, and impeller upgrades for awhile now! Gotta keep up with the new RXPs!

I actually just finished loading up the ski, about to head out to Lake Houston in a few minutes.

Last edited:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Isn't the ultra300 a 1.5L twin screw 300hp?

Doesn't yamaha also have a 1.8Lcentri blown 300hp model?

Users who are viewing this thread