jeep wranglers

Oxford

Established Member
My s10 has begun to get on my nerves as of the last year and its an xtreme so the 2wd really proves almost useless. So im in the market for a decent giddy up around town truck. Towing isnt too much of a concern but prefer 4 wheel drive.

My budget at most is about 8k but my real problem is I dont like alot of the options out there. I really liked tahoes but I hear the gas mileage isnt great. The wrangler seems to be the total package so I im curious if anyone has any experience with them. All I keep hearing is how terrible the mpgs are but they seem like fun trucks.

What say you svtp?

Oxford

Established Member
yea that about what I figured. is there a drastic difference between the 4 and the 6? Tahoes are getting around 17-18 and its a way bigger truck. these jeeps baffle me.

Zemedici

Established Member
what kinda wrangler are you expecting for 8k? Those things hold their value better than Midas's gold.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i have a wrangler. an 02 soft top. love it. its just a weekend grocery getter. 210,000 miles and counting. ive been offered 8k for it. its not a DD. but i love having a jeep. gas mileage sux. moving to hawaii in the near future, plan on selling it and getting a newer one.

96 cobra

Established Member
what kinda wrangler are you expecting for 8k? Those things hold their value better than Midas's gold.

This! Wrangler prices are outrageous, set your sights for a vehicle with a steeper depreciation curve, like a tt supra ;)

Joking aside, exclude the northeast from your search area, you'll be able to find the same quality of jeep out west/down south for a cheaper price, but with only minimal rust.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
yea that about what I figured. is there a drastic difference between the 4 and the 6? Tahoes are getting around 17-18 and its a way bigger truck. these jeeps baffle me.

Not enough to warrant that pig. My buddy's older brother had a 4 cylinder Wrangler and it didn't have enough power to hold 3rd going up I-70. It was actually slower than the unloaded semis.

If youre getting a wrangler you need to get the 4.0, it's solid.

Me personally, I would get the tahoe. I don't really like GMs but I know it's a quality vehicle.

usmc320

Established Member

There are lots of options in that price range. I bought a CJ and a YJ both for 4k or less. My girlfriend just bought an I6 TJ for 6.5k.

To the OP, I would avoid the 4 cylinder Wranglers. They are terribly underpowered and get similar mpg as the I6. Also avoid the Peugeot transmissions. Make sure it has the AX-15 or NV3550 if you get a manual transmission. Wranglers are a lot of fun but take some work to drive (solid axles, aerodynamics of a brick, not very powerful). If you are the type who likes to get behind the wheel and not pay attention to driving, this is not a good choice. That being said I daily drove a 77 CJ7 for 3 years with no problems.

96 cobra

Established Member
There's always Cherokee classics (XJ's), around $8k will get you an excellent example.

Zemedici

Established Member
This! Wrangler prices are outrageous, set your sights for a vehicle with a steeper depreciation curve, like a tt supra ;)

Joking aside, exclude the northeast from your search area, you'll be able to find the same quality of jeep out west/down south for a cheaper price, but with only minimal rust.

BAHAHA oh shots fired!! :lol::lol:
The jeeps around my area go at MINIMUM 10k...Anything I would want to spend every day in, at least.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i work at a dealership so i got mine for the trade in amount of 3500 that they had in it. it was on the lot for 12,5 two years ago.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
yeah jeeps arent good DD's they arent good towing rigs, gas mileage, passenger cars, but i'll be damn they are fun and hold their value like pamala andersons tits

Oxford

Established Member
Not enough to warrant that pig. My buddy's older brother had a 4 cylinder Wrangler and it didn't have enough power to hold 3rd going up I-70. It was actually slower than the unloaded semis.

If youre getting a wrangler you need to get the 4.0, it's solid.

Me personally, I would get the tahoe. I don't really like GMs but I know it's a quality vehicle.

Yea these prices arent making me feel any better. I guess it just peeked my interest cause of the whole gimmick of no doors. small yet 4x4. always see guys driving em and im like damn that is cool. Im seeing 98-99 2 door tahoes in good shape going for 5-6, more if they are real nice. However i HATE the steering box system in my S10 and im just over it. Plus the 01-04 models have like the exact SAME interior as my s10 so its not much of an upgrade as far as I see it.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
What about a last year 5.0 Explorer or even a 6 cyl model? Decent size, decent interior (especially an Eddie Bauer,etc), cheap parts, reliable, and you can easily bump up power if the need arises.

If I needed a smaller vehicle to play in the mountains I'd consider one, they look pretty cool with some minor off road mods.
kkkkkeor.jpg

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
I have always regretted selling my '97. All. The. Time.

Get the I6 and the 5spd manual.

OVERGAP the sparkplugs about .01-.015. I think the I6's call for .032, and I gap them around .045. Makes a very big difference on improving low end torque, and raising gasoline mileage. I get about 19mpg average on my Cherokee 4.0.

Try not to drive faster than 65. Jeeps are bricks, above that and the mileage starts to fall off a cliff.

And the regular stuff - oil changes...clean injectors/valves with Redlines Complete Fuel System Cleaner (at Pepboys), and the TPS is cheap and easy to swap out every 100k miles.

I have 240k miles on my Cherokee and it is by far the most bullet proof vehicle I've ever owned.

But I miss my 97 Wrangler all the time. Must have mod - the bikini top. A top that only covers the 2 front seats. Just enough to shield you from being sun-strained, but more than enough to feel like a complete convertible.

Do it.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
I've been eye balling Wranglers for quite some time after I got rid of my 2 door '96 Cherokee. I definitely agree with the above: they hold their value well. ....even the pieces of junk.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Cherokee with a 3" lift and 32's, trimmed fenders. You can find one for less than $4k and they are reliable as hell.

IMG_3515.jpg

Eventually turned into this, with a lot of fun times in between.

IMG_1385.jpg

Last edited:

Oxford

Established Member
Cherokee with a 3" lift and 32's, trimmed fenders. You can find one for less than $4k and they are reliable as hell.

IMG_3515.jpg

Eventually turned into this, with a lot of fun times in between.

IMG_1385.jpg

its so funny that there is a sierra in the background cause I was just looking at those used. ill have to research that truck as well. The Jeep looks like alot of fun right there.

Ponyracer1

Established Member
I've built cherokees, tj's and yj's, ya what everyone has said is very acurate. 4cyl SUCK, 6 cyl will get 14 in town and 16-18 on the highway. The only benefit is lift and tires dont affect them much. Get a YJ, pull the carpet and rihnoline it and rock it till the wheels fall off. They are tough, fun, and cheap to fix.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I love my jeep and I see 18mpg highway on 33s with a mild lift. Granted I have a new Jeep with the Pentastar V6. It's the first Jeep I've ever owned and most likely won't be the last. I've always liked Jeeps. Not sure I'd want to DD an older one though. Atleast not if I had much of a commute. I've found that Jeeps are very similar to mustangs in that the mods are endless and parts are cheap. They are definitely lots of fun.

Before I added a new front bumper and winch...

14397180059_4bec8d7677_c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread