Jeep Wrangler??

Wintermute

Banned
Definite crackhead. The quadra-coil alone is worth the price of admission. And the softtops have been solid and waterproof since the mid 90s.

GodStang

Established Member
Do you smoke crack>???

UUMMM.... no just have done tons of work on all year Jeeps. That 4 cylinder just does not cut it off road. Springs only get you so far. If you do not have the engine to turn tires then you are sol. I agree that they seal nicer then the olden days and they ride nicer but off road compared to the CJ and YJ the TJ is just not the same.

Last edited:

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
A TJ doesn't compare to a YJ off the road>??? Yeah I guess you couldn't compare the 2 because a TJ would blow away a YJ.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Had a 95 Wrangler I bought new. Great vehicle Put 140K on it and only changed out an alternator and had a problem with the stock exhaust manifold. It cracked on me and I bought a Borla Header and installed then no more problem. God , I miss that Jeep , so many good times. Even if the gas milage wasn't that great, due to a little bigger tire I ran on her. Ave. about 12 to the gal.

My dad has a 92, with well over 220k. We also had the exhaust manifold crack, and for those who dont know, they dont use cast iron manifolds, its welded steel. We also went with the Borla Header(Great looking header btw), hi-flow cat and catback. Even with 200k miles, we could feel an improvement in power.

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
I've wheeled the shit out of 4 cyl tjs, ever heard of a transfer case? I would def buy the 4.0 for the torque and indestructibility but to say a coil spring 4 link suspension is more efficient and provides more travel than an archaic leaf spring suspension is just ridiculous.

JiggaStyles09

Established Member
i dont know how great a wrangler would be as a DD, as the ride is pretty bad (obviously), the gas mileage sucks, the soft tops are easy to break into, noisy etc. but they are cool vehicles no doubt and can go over anything.

KC Jr 54

Established Member
As far as a DD is concerned in the Jeep line up, IMO the XJ (Cherokee) is better. Can get 24 mpg on the highway and around 17 in town with the I6 and AW4.

Header crack is more then normal, also is it wasnt maintained the heads have a tendency to warp/crack on you, but they are easy and cheap to replace.

CentennialVert

Angry Pirate
Established Member
I had a 99 TJ w/ a 4" lift on 33" tires w/ 4.10 gears. I never got into any rock crawling or anything, but I certainly beat the shit out of it in central florida muck. I only got stuck twice in 2 years of offroading almost every weekend. One time was because I was trying to get through some mud in 2wd, and got high centered on the transfer case, so I couldn't get it into 4wd...and the other was when I tried pulling a friend out when he got his XJ stuck and I snapped all the nutheads off my yolk. I averaged about 16 mpg mixed driving, got 18-19 with mostly highway...it was definately because of the gears.

jeep.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread