Jdm super stock cams coincidence?

impactblue

Established Member
So I had my motor rebuilt. Cams installed. A few miles in I had the drivers side secondary cam sprocket fail. Luckily I had no piston damage or valve damage. A few days ago I met a guy who had the same failure here in Houston. Also Jdm cams. Drivers side secondary sprocket. Yesterday a man messaged me on Facebook curious about my outcome because he also had the drivers side secondary sprocket fail. And what the heck. Jdm cams. Kind of scary. Any one else ever heard of the sprocket failing? Is it common with cam changes or is it just crap luck

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413858768.319343.jpg

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
Billet cam gears maybe? Then come the Ford GT valve cover tho.. I think, correct me if I'm wrong..

Bad Company

Established Member
very interesting. whats the fix
Getting people that know how to torque the cam bolts properly. Also there is an upgrade secondary timing chain and sprocket set from Cloyes part number 9-3676X9. This kit has billet steel sprockets, instead of the factory Powered Metal sprockets that will fracture if improperly torqued during installation of the cam bolts. Here is a link, roughly half way down the page is all the info on the Ford Mod Motor upgrade timing kits from Cloyes.

http://www.cloyes.com/Images/HP_AppPagesB.pdf

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Getting people that know how to torque the cam bolts properly. Also there is an upgrade secondary timing chain and sprocket set from Cloyes part number 9-3676X9. This kit has billet steel sprockets, instead of the factory Powered Metal sprockets that will fracture if improperly torqued during installation of the cam bolts. Here is a link, roughly half way down the page is all the info on the Ford Mod Motor upgrade timing kits from Cloyes.

http://www.cloyes.com/Images/HP_AppPagesB.pdf

You can run the stock GT500 valve covers with the Cloyes secondary kit I listed

good info thanks

Bad Company

Established Member
good info thanks
You're welcome

If you can want to convert to the Ford GT valve covers you can use the complete Cloyes kit 9-3179A

The Ford GT valve covers are still available from Ford they can be bought without a VIN and proof of ownership of a Ford GT. The part numbers are 4G7Z-6582-AA & 4G7Z-6582-BA

Last edited:

JimIII@jdm

It's not the Cams, the gears break from not being installed properly. I spoke with someone who had L&M cams and this exact failure as well. It could have with Stock Cams. No amount of Lift, Duration, or anything pertaining to Cam profile will affect the cam gears. It is all method of installation. We use upgraded secondary chains and a cam stud kit from Roush Yates as well as the Bigger Ford GT Cam sprockets for our Cobra Jets but still retain the stock smaller gears that are in question here. That requires the taller GT covers which are pricey. 1,100 + RWHP, 900+ TQ, 8,000 RPM, High 7 low 8 sec 1/4 mile times with out issue. The Cloyes gears we haven't used before but some people are using them so I would say they are worth a shot. 4V Cam installs are not an easy task and should be performed by an experienced professional.

Last edited:

impactblue

Established Member
It's not the Cams, the gears break from not being installed properly. I spoke with someone who had L&M cams and this exact failure as well. It could have with Stock Cams. No amount of Lift, Duration, or anything pertaining to Cam profile will affect the cam gears. It is all method of installation. We use upgraded secondary chains and a cam stud kit from Roush Yates as well as the Bigger Ford GT Cam sprockets for our Cobra Jets but still retain the stock smaller gears that are in question here. That requires the taller GT covers which are pricey. 1,100 + RWHP, 900+ TQ, 8,000 RPM, High 7 low 8 sec 1/4 mile times with out issue. The Cloyes gears we haven't used before but some people are using them so I would say they are worth a shot.

I know it's not your camshaft. Just thought it was crazy that we all have the same mods. maybe these gears don't like being re used Very very weird. They must be a brittle part too Sucks my car is already finished. Now I want billet gears

Have you ever heard of this happening on a stock car

JimIII@jdm

I know it's not your camshaft. Just thought it was crazy that we all have the same mods. maybe these gears don't like being re used Very very weird. They must be a brittle part too Sucks my car is already finished. Now I want billet gears

Have you ever heard of this happening on a stock car

I haven't seen this happen on a stock car, mostly because Ford assembled the engine. The sprockets are fine to reuse, they are powdered metal so obviously not as strong as steel. I wouldn't call them brittle because I've seen them handle more abuse and twice as much power as your making. If installed properly there is no reason this should happen.

impactblue

Established Member
I haven't seen this happen on a stock car, mostly because Ford assembled the engine. The sprockets are fine to reuse, they are powdered metal so obviously not as strong as steel. I wouldn't call them brittle because I've seen them handle more abuse and twice as much power as your making. If installed properly there is no reason this should happen.

At least I know it was done properly this time. I do know all the failures happened in the first few hundred miles. And for me even quicker Everyone else destroyed there motors. Can't believe nothing hit in mine Thanks for the information

TORQJNKY

I've had the JDM cams in my stock bottom end motor and put them back in my built motor. My mechanic has always been a mod motor guy and installed them both times. I haven't asked him about his cam install techniques, but I may. I've got about 2000 miles on the cams in both engine configurations combined. I've beat on my motor hard enough to shear the shaft between the female rotor and rotor gear in my 2.9L Whipple, but no other issues to date. :)bash: on wood!)

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Stock gears in mine..crower stage 2 blower cams. Installation process is key...its not the hardware.

lvxlr8n

Established Member
I had a new drivers side head replaced by Ford on my car. No problems so far. (500mi since the replacement)

rdsnk46

Established Member
Maybe I'm lucky by association, I've had cams swapped in my 4 valve 4.6 Termi/Comp Stg 3 and Ford GT cams installed in my 2008 GT500. The GT500 is gone but not because of the cam gears failing, my Termi car is still running stong a few years later. Thanks Steve Lee @ Thunder Autosports

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We keep the Billet secondary gears, primary crank gear and Upgraded secondary chains in stock, the MMR kits are proven to 9800rpm and over 3000HP. Please let us know if we can help.

Below you can see the difference between the stock and MMR chains

Secondary%20chain%20comparison.jpg

MMR Billet Lower gear

coyote%20billet%20lower%20gear.jpg

MMR Billet secondary cam gears

mmr%20secondary%20gears.jpg

Snoopy49

Established Member
The MMR Billet secondary cam gear you show doesn't look like it will work, the original gear had a key and the one you show has keyways.

Users who are viewing this thread