Japanease airline CEO voluntaraly takes paycut lower than pilot's salary

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
He's the man, hands down

funny I just watched a video from yahoo.com

talking about how the CEOs of the big 3 made their plea in DC for a bailout, but they took $20,000 private flights to DC, to a meeting where they plea for I believe millions, if not billions of dollars

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Wow. That guy is a true leader. CEO's here? not so much. The Unions are half the issue, greedy upper management is the other half.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Japanese culture is very different. In Asian countries, modesty is the word and putting the community first is what is important over individual gain.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Wow. That guy is a true leader. CEO's here? not so much. The Unions are half the issue, greedy upper management is the other half.

I don't blame the unions, they are just trying to get everything they can for their workers. I blame the incompetent management who give in to the union's demands.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I blame the incompetent management who give in to the union's demands.

It's kind of hard when they threaten to walk off the job if they don't give in to their demands. We're not talking about walking off the job because of unsafe working conditions here. We are talking about rediculous job security guarantees and wage/benefit increases.

The unions should be begging for their jobs right now. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see a massive union line crossing if they try and play hardball WHEN contract re-negotiations take place in the very near future.

firstonraceday

Established Member
Great thing he did from a social standpoint. Props to him. From a business standpoint he doesn't seem to bright.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It's kind of hard when they threaten to walk off the job if they don't give in to their demands. We're not talking about walking off the job because of unsafe working conditions here. We are talking about rediculous job security guarantees and wage/benefit increases.

The unions should be begging for their jobs right now. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see a massive union line crossing if they try and play hardball WHEN contract re-negotiations take place in the very near future.

I'm sure there are plenty of scabs out there that would like to have a job. After the union guys missed a few mortgage payments their attitudes may change. Remember that a union is nothing without its members.

LOLasaurus

Established Member
I don't blame the unions, they are just trying to get everything they can for their workers. I blame the incompetent management who give in to the union's demands.

IMO the problem with the US auto industry is;

1) Greedy upper managenment that only care about their own salary. They contine to balloon their salaries and its taking a big toll on the companies. These people will continue to do this until they run the company into the ground, but what do they care? If that happens they still get a big fat severance/retirement check.

2) The unions! The idea of a union is to ensure that workers are not extorted by companies. But now its the workers that are extorting the companies. As its sits now a company has to give into these union demands. Everyday a factory is offline a company loses millions, to restaff an entire factory would take months. Heres a nice little writeup I found about the auto unions.

Dr. Mark J. Perry, professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan, who points out that hourly union workers at the Big 3 make on average 57.6% more in a year than a university professor with a Ph.D. Using figures from the automakers themselves, Dr. Perry tells us that a union worker at Ford makes $141,020/year including wages and benefits. A worker at General Motors makes $146,520/year and one at Chrysler earns $151,720/year. According to another report he cites, the average annual salary for a college professor in 2006 was $92,973, which happens to be close to the $96,000/year a Honda, Nissan or Toyota worker makes in the U.S.

IMO a persons pay should be based only on education and experience, unless the work being done is hazardeous or causes you to be away from home for extended amounts of time (ie oil rig). Im sorry but if you job only requires you to install car seats all day, you shouldn't be making anywhere close to $150k/year. And why is it that auto workers think they deserve special treatment? Do you ever hear of the workers from a lawnmower factory going on strike and demanding $150k/year?

The unions need to be disbanded, they are driving these companies into the dirt, not stopping to think "Hey if this company goes out of buisness, I won't have a job!"

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
For sure a good man. Didn't Lee Iacocca do something similar, work for a dollar a year or something?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Japanese culture is very different. In Asian countries, modesty is the word and putting the community first is what is important over individual gain.

+1, in the Japanese culture it's a lot more likely for a worker to agree to or even request a pay cut rather than be laid off. Americans can really learn from this - It's better to work for less than not work at all.

Everyday a factory is offline a company loses millions, to restaff an entire factory would take months.

Depends on where you're at...When I interned at Peterbilt, they told us a story about how in the early 90's a union pulled a strike at the plant in Denton, the next day those that were on strike were jobless because Peterbilt hired a completely new workforce. But, there's a big market for labor in the Dallas area.

Silver04Cobra

Go Faster
Established Member
The Peter Principle is the principle that "In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence." It holds that in a hierarchy, members are promoted so long as they work competently. Sooner or later they are promoted to a position at which they are no longer competent (their "level of incompetence"), and there they remain. Peter's Corollary states that "in time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out his duties" and adds that "work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence". - Wiki

Users who are viewing this thread