Jalopnik First Drive

GokartMozart315

Established Member
i enjoyed the beginning of this review. and i normally love jalop. but this is complete bs. are they really questioning the point of the gt500?? if you have to ask...anyway, i think part of the negativity comes from the focus of the review being on the track. i bet if they went on a nice long street drive things would be different.

anyway, here it is. this is the car that'll keep me motivated through law school!

First Drive: 2013 Ford Shelby GT500

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
As far as Jalopnik reviews go, that one was pretty good.

Jalopnik is a total piece of shit. It's the "automotive journalism" equivalent of TMZ.

blair223

Established Member
I think that was a very positive review. Awesome engineering, incredible power, and very drivable. Makes it the perfect DD for me. His only issue seemed to be that he did not feel he could push it anywhere near the cars limits so did not have as much fun with it. Understandable with the capabilities the car has and the limited time they had with the cars.

I can't wait to get my hands on it and I have every intention to run this beast on the 1/4 and nearby race tracks.

Last edited:

FordGTGuy

Established Member
Most of the posters aren't that bright either, they almost always assume things without doing the 10 seconds of work to see if they are right or not.

jes_csx

Established Member
Yes, the stupid commenters really love the SRA vs IRS debate. The "Ford overrates their HP figures because the GT500 doesn't make 500(whp)" line of thought is the best though... just wrong on so many levels.

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
The guys from Jalopnik looked like a bunch of pretty boys that should be driving a Toyota, not a mustang.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
You guys are too sensitive, I laughed out loud in my work truck two or three times while reading it, particularly the part about muppets dying to cover the wheel.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
As far as Jalopnik reviews go, that one was pretty good.

Jalopnik is a total piece of shit. It's the "automotive journalism" equivalent of TMZ.
it can't be said any better, that place is a joke. although the mainstream print media is only a notch above them these days.
but that was definitely a pretty good review. props to the author for putting out an unashamedly honest piece in this time where every ****in douchebag automotive "journalist" waxes poetic about their immense driving skills and supreme ability to read the most minute reactions as the solid axle loses two-hundredths of a G to the theoretic IRS in turn 4 of laguna seca - even though they don't have a single credential(not even a time slip from a 'test n tune') to show for these superhuman driving abilities.

i'm really looking forward to TTAC's review though, hopefully they put one of these in the hands of jack baruth(an actual licensed race car driver).

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
I liked the part where he was comparing it to the FR-S. It goes along with the saying that "it is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow." He admitted that he couldnt tap into the potential of the car, which was pretty good of him.

Seemed like a pretty honest review to me. I am noticing across the board that people are saying it feels much more civil than it really is. Kudos to the engineers for that! However, I hope that it doesnt inspire certain drivers to the point of wrapping them around poles.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Must be my fear of catastrophy that doesn't have me feeling invincible. The car feels tame while cruising, but I don't feel at all like it's too mellow.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I liked the part where he was comparing it to the FR-S. It goes along with the saying that "it is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow." He admitted that he couldnt tap into the potential of the car, which was pretty good of him.
that's 100% true! i definitely have plans to do some open tracking when means allow in the future, but i'll be picking up something like a miata(haters gonna hate), WRX, or maybe an SVT focus for that work. something with 215s all around and no more than 250HP, much harder to accidentally kill my self in:lol1:

chuckstang

Established Member
Put a tune in the car and I bet it will be much more savage!

He just doesnt understand that Ford always releases a Mustang from the factory rather tame...all for the aftermarket!

My 07 started out as a nice lil 500hp car but after a few basic mods, it became an absolute savage of an animal!

AnthonyBourdain

Chef-at-large
Established Member
I just want to remind people here (mostly those under 50) how great it is now to be a gearhead when Ford is producing a 600+ rwhp MUSTANG, that will do 202 mph, go high 10s on slicks and pull a G on the skidpad for $55k base.....and continue to battle GM in the process.

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
that's 100% true! i definitely have plans to do some open tracking when means allow in the future, but i'll be picking up something like a miata(haters gonna hate), WRX, or maybe an SVT focus for that work. something with 215s all around and no more than 250HP, much harder to accidentally kill my self in:lol1:

I kinda compare it to (club level) motorcycle racing where the 250 class is fiercly competitive. It really magnifies the skill of the rider. And its budget firendly!

And I'm not gonna hate on the ole Miata. My dad has a 91. I will drive it every now and then, and I gotta admit, I drive it faster than my Lightning. Its just fun to buzz around in it. I bet its even more fun on a track with some mods!

All that being said, I'm wierd, gotta go all out and would love to get a GT500! That is why I track a 1000RR and not a 250!

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
I just want to remind people here (mostly those under 50) how great it is now to be a gearhead when Ford is producing a 600+ rwhp MUSTANG, that will do 202 mph, go high 10s on slicks and pull a G on the skidpad for $55k base.....and continue to battle GM in the process.

Are you analogizing these times to the late 60's HP war? Even so, those cars are dinosaurs even compared to what was available 10 years ago. These times are better than ever for all of us.

AnthonyBourdain

Chef-at-large
Established Member
No, I'm talking about economies of scale and the rapid advance of technology within in said scale, and how efficient power has accelerated in the past few decades. If anything, I'm saying how slow even prior fast cars now look on paper. Look at the advance of power numbers across brands 2003-2013 and how they rival any period in muscle car history. Ford is getting twice the rwhp with better mileage than my ex-ls1.

Last edited:

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
I agree. It's insane and I'm loving it. I can't help thinking collector muscle car prices having fallen in the last decade in part because new money goes into modern offerings. In the late eighties and early 90's a 440 cuda was a real alternative for street performance

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
Jalopnik questions the utility of this car but I think I'll find its power real useful when I merge onto the freeway from 40 to 85 mph!

Users who are viewing this thread