I've Lost that Loving Feeling...

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I bought my Cobra new in 2003, have loved and enjoyed it for years but I'm older now and my life has changed. When I bought the car I was newly married w/no kids and more free time. I was extremely passionate about my car for years, adding mods each year, further customizing my ride. I've been a member of this site for years, I used to do car shows all the time. I was a member of SVTOA for the first 3 years of ownership and enjoyed several "Track Days" with the club. In the 7th year of ownership my interest was starting to wain and then I got a whim to finally take the plunge and buy a TwinScrew Blower. I bought the 2.3 Whipple w/supporting mods (i.e. clutch/fuel sys upgrade) and now was in the 600hp club. These upgrades re-energized my interest for the next year or so but with these mods came the sacrifice of drivability. Now my street monster was almost too radical for just cruising the streets (buyer beware). Now unless I'm "Mountain Carving" on a remote stretch of two lane in my beautiful home state my Cobra is not that much fun anymore. :(

Fast forward to today. I have two kids now and a busier life w/less free time than in 2003. In addition, in 2012 I was reintroduced to the Off Road scene when a buddy of mine took me for a ride in his new RZR 900XP. I was hooked from the first ride and bought my own RZR 900XP a week later. For the last 2.5 years I have wanted to ride the RZR every chance I get and my Cobra has become an afterthought sadly. Since buying the RZR I have probably driven my Cobra less than 15 times? I only had my car out twice this summer and am looking forward to winterizing my car to store for the winter so I can put my full attention on my RZR and the winter riding season!

There are multiple reasons for the change in my affinity. One of the main reasons is I got a drag racing ticket years ago that almost cost me my job and livelihood! Two years in court and a couple grand later I got the charges reduced and dismissed but I have never forgot the stress this caused my family. Lets face it, 600hp street car is eventually gonna get ya in trouble! I can ride my RZR as crazy as I want off road because there are NO RULES! Also, I can ride my RZR all year around, sunshine/rain/snow it doesn't matter it is a blast to ride in all conditions!

My car has been paid for for years now, only has 22K miles, thousands $$ in mods w/receipts to show all work, garage kept and really taken care of from day one. However, I have limited garage space and really want to buy/add another RZR! I have mentioned selling my car a couple times and my wife/brother/son strongly advise against this saying I will never own another car like this and I will regret selling it. They are probably right but my interests have changed and I'm getting tired of working around my car in my garage. I have a friend of mine that has offered to buy my car for $25K whenever I'm ready to sell, this is tempting me.

Are any of you in similar circumstances? Opinions? Is my car worth more than $25K?

Brian
IMG_0356_zps88c28861.jpg
IMG_0145_zps5b98ba6b.jpg

Zemedici

Established Member
That's completely normal man. Sometimes a person's interests and desires change, and tbh that Rzr looks way more fun than a cobra. I've gotta drive one to see what all the hype is all about :beer: you ma turn me to the dark side :D

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Beautiful rides.

I'm single no kids no responsibilities.

I'm getting bored with mine too.

Was thinking of getting s different color maybe.

Everything in life is temporary... sell it imo.

TERMINATED97

Established Member
On a more serious note though, i'd say you getting 25k is pretty good. If you lost interest and your buddy will give you 25k, i'd sell it in a heartbeat.

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
I get burned out on my cobras at times. I get burned out on my jet ski, on my grzzly, guns ect. I go play with something else for awhile and when I find my way back I love it all lover again. Got to spice it up

fast ford brian

Established Member
Been going through the same thing . I want to build another old pickup and selling my Cobra would make it painless on our bank accounts . If i had a buyer lined up with cash like that it would be hard to say no .

Tractionless1

Established Member
I agree, if you don't drive it, can't control yourself on the street and it's going to cost your livelihood sell it promptly. Not everyone has enough self control to operate a performance vehicle among the public, for them there's always doughnuts in the woods.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
I have been driving a built ranger prerunner for 4 years now and when i bought my cobra I kiiind of lost interest in the ranger, but it goes up and down. Right now I am back on the ranger bandwagon and ignoring my cobra lol.. I would never sell either
Photo%20Collage%20Maker_l5uMVz.gif

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
It happens. I love my car, but it is on the back burner to my family, my passion for Whitetail Hunting and playing competitive Golf. I hope to keep my car for ever but the fire just isn't there like it use to be.

MNCobra

Established Member
kind of going through the same thing myself with my GT500...just cant bring myself to sell...if i had a friend with cash and was ready to buy i am sure it would be gone...

cj428mach

Established Member
What did you do that made driveability suffer? With these cars you can have your cake and eat it too, maybe you just need to adjust your setup.

I don't know how a person could ever really grow tired of these cars. I bought my low mileage one and try to do my best to help keep the mileage down but usually treat myself to a once a week play date with the cobra. Its been about 5 days since I've driven the car last and as I was on the highway driving home in my work truck I was imagining it was the Terminator and I was getting pumped up. Its my body's way of telling me its time to get the car out, tonight if the weather holds I'm going for a cruise, lol.

Last edited:

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
You have to do what your heart tells you to do but I had so many great cars in my life and I'm truly sorry I sold them now. If you don't need the money keep it for a few years and I will bet you will be happy you did.

quad

Established Member
I can understand this thread a little.

Though I would never sell my car driveability has suffered with my Mcleod Clutch w/ lightened steel flywheel. It is not a good parking lot crawler now - if you are driving slow the RPMs have to be around 2000. Less than that and the transmission starts to chirp or whatever. So there is constant down and up shifting going on when traffic is slow or you're trying to park somewhere. The car just wants to go fast now. When it was stock I could cruise around at 1000 rpm.

It's really loud so music can't be enjoyed with the stock speakers / amplifiers.

Both Walbro 405 fuel pumps failed because they were not rated for E85 - had to get towed.

Recently my radiator fan failed - had to get towed.

AC in the cabin is not as cold as it was before the Killer Chiller installation - have to get it checked out.

And the biggest issue - the roads in Michigan are pretty bad at the moment after the bad winter we had. There are some good roads here and there so I am restricted to driving those roads but there are minor transition areas where you have to cross bumpy parts. There is no joy knowing you have to drive the same routes and taking a risk driving anywhere and ending up in a pot hole riddled area really kills it for me. If we get another rough winter like the past one the roads are going to be undriveable for me as far as the Cobra is concerned. When roads are redone or repaired they only last a short while. Hopefully Michigan will get its act together because what ever they are doing is not working as far as roads go.

That being said when I do enjoy the Cobra it makes it all worth it lol!

I think the OP should keep it and just deal with the maintenance / garage issues. And be careful with the tickets.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
all i can say is i'm on my 3rd 03 cobra, there is just something you will always miss once you have one. By all means its no Audi but it is what it is. They are the best ending of the Fox body period.

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
I still stand firm. clean it up and hide it under a cover for while. in 6 months or a year. youll come back to it and youll be happy to see it again

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
If you can get 25k for it I would sell the Cobra honestly. I go through ups and downs with mine but for the right price I would let it go easily. It seems you have a new hobby with your RZR. Who knows in 5 years you might be tired of them and then purchase yourself another car. Go out there and take your Cobra for a spirited drive, when you get home make your decision. Whenever I start to lose interest in the car I just take it out and when I come home im all about it again, lol.

mtb01

Established Member
all i can say is i'm on my 3rd 03 cobra, there is just something you will always miss once you have one. By all means its no Audi but it is what it is. They are the best ending of the Fox body period.
What he said. I've had 3 terminators and felt the same why you do now, but damn if I'm not looking for a fourth right now. "You don't know what ya got till its gone"

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
What he said. I've had 3 terminators and felt the same why you do now, but damn if I'm not looking for a fourth right now. "You don't know what ya got till its gone"

[video=youtube;i28UEoLXVFQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28UEoLXVFQ[/video]
lol i had to ;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread