Its Alive!

Quick Strike

Established Member
Running after two years, I was beginning to think it was on permanent display in the garage. Yesterday was a good day for a convertible ride! A few hundred more miles and it is off to see Herman in MD.

Last edited:

94vert50

Established Member
Why wasn't it out for two years?

I've had my vert out all weekend too and am also planning on seeing Hermann soon. I'm in Bel Air, MD.

DevilSun

Established Member
Nice, I very much await the day I mine fixed and fired back up. It'll be 3 years end of next month...but at least I'm so close :) Go take a ride for me

Quick Strike

Established Member
Why wasn't it out for two years?

I've had my vert out all weekend too and am also planning on seeing Hermann soon. I'm in Bel Air, MD.

Well, It took me three months to even look at it after finding no compression in #7 (lost valve seat, bent valve, broken piston). Then it was another three months until it was apart, I had a plan and it was at the machine shop. Then the machine shop had it for over a year (reduced work force to one person with too many jobs). Then it took me another three months or so to assemble the engine and make the changes you see listed in my signature. This was a ported stage IV before with shorty headers and a MRT H and BAP. I was able to find a lot of used parts and unused parts during that time at good prices. So, the longer build time helped me cut costs on parts and I saved on labor by doing the work myself. I am not sure I would have done it this way If I knew before how many obstacles I would meet. This ignorance was a blessing since it is done now to my liking.

I am in PA, but traveled to HBH in MD the last time I had it tuned (before he left for Fl and returned to MD). I would not go anywhere else.

Last edited:

Quick Strike

Established Member
Pictures of the build for those considering a DIY engine:

Block with crank, rods (ARP 2000 rod bolts), file fit rings and CP 9CC pistons installed:

Cobra%20100611%20CPs%20Installed.jpg

Windage tray, modified pick-up, melling pump and ARP main studs installed:

Cobra%20100609%20WindageTray%20Pick%20Up.jpg

Canton road racing pan installed:

Cobra%20100609%20Canton%20Pan.jpg

Rear engine seal installed:

Cobra%20100611%20Rear%20Seal.jpg

Head studs Installed:

Cobra%20100614%20Head%20Studs.jpg

Comp custom cams and timing gear installed and degreed (115 In LC / 117 Ex LC):

Cobra%20100615%20Timing%20Gear%202.jpg

Timing cover and valve covers installed. Oil pressure checked:

Cobra%20100704%20engine%20LT%202.jpg

Egine installed:

Cobra%20100719%20Engine%20In.jpg

Under side of installed engine with headers and new Spec 3+:

Cobra%20100719%20Under.jpg

2.8 H installed and ready to fire:

Cobra%20100806%20LT%20SC.JPG

Cobra%20100806%20FT%20SC.JPG

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I visited Hermann back in May. Very cool guy and definately knows his stuff. I wouldn't dream of going elsewhere either. When are you heading down? If I am free maybe i'll drive over for awhile

Quick Strike

Established Member
I visited Hermann back in May. Very cool guy and definately knows his stuff. I wouldn't dream of going elsewhere either. When are you heading down? If I am free maybe i'll drive over for awhile

I am going the week after next (Herman is on vacation next week). It would be nice to meet other owners. I will post back here with the day when we nail it down. The car has almost 300 miles on it now, and it seems like there are no leaks or issues. I can't wait to make some boost!

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I am going the week after next (Herman is on vacation next week). It would be nice to meet other owners. I will post back here with the day when we nail it down. The car has almost 300 miles on it now, and it seems like there are no leaks or issues. I can't wait to make some boost!

sounds good. if its a nice cool day maybe i'll have him do a pull with my car once yours is done. it was sooo humid and hot when he tuned it. maybe i can get a few others to drop by. post the date in the Mid Atlantic Cobra Association section once you know it.

Quick Strike

Established Member
sounds good. Post the date in the Mid Atlantic Cobra Association section once you know it.

The date for dyno tune at HBH is is set for Wed. Sept. 1st for those interested. I have to be there by 8 am. I will post the results here. It will be very interesting to see what the combination I planned and assembled actually puts down!

Teej281

Established Member
Quick Strike, where at in PA are you? Ive been down to HBH before with Tims97SVT. Awesome guy and fabulous tuner. Hopefully when I get my E85 GT done next year he'll be able to tune the car for me.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your Terminator sounds really nice. Great build on the motor.

Is your car at Hermann's now? I guess this was the week you expected to visit him. Best of luck with the tune. Hermann will perform his magic on that motor. :thumbsup:

Quick Strike

Established Member
Quick Strike, where at in PA are you? Ive been down to HBH before with Tims97SVT. Awesome guy and fabulous tuner. Hopefully when I get my E85 GT done next year he'll be able to tune the car for me.

I am just south of Stroudsburg. He did a great job with my old combination and it never had a problem until the valve seat came loose.

Your Terminator sounds really nice. Great build on the motor.

Is your car at Hermann's now? I guess this was the week you expected to visit him. Best of luck with the tune. Hermann will perform his magic on that motor. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bob. I waited a long timer to hear it. I was verry happy when it cranked up, but will be anxious until it is tuned. Herman is just back from vacation and is backed up. I will drive it down Wed. morning and (if all goes well) drive it home in the afternoon. That's the plan anyway!

cobra=trouble

Established Member
are you running e 85 ?

return system ?

nice ! i know you got the Fever now!
how much boost are you planing to run ?

it's amazing, how we can take motors down wait a year then get them back running , my wife says how you do that ? lol.
this is the longest build of my life

Quick Strike

Established Member
are you running e 85 ?

return system ?

nice ! i know you got the Fever now!
how much boost are you planing to run ?

it's amazing, how we can take motors down wait a year then get them back running , my wife says how you do that ? lol.
this is the longest build of my life

Gary,

This thread is from last year when I was doing what you are now. That is why a lot of it is still fresh in my head. I take pictures of certain areas, and I label parts and wires with blue painters tape and a sharpie. That helps a lot when assembly is two years later! It also helps to have built quite a few performance engines over the last 30 years (never a mod motor though).

Most of the answers to your questions above are here in the follow up to this thread. I run up to 25# of boost depending on tune.

Users who are viewing this thread