IT professionals come in!!!

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
hell if thats the case why is it every monster IT job add you see, ask for certs

Thats because some guys on here haven't been in the market for a job recently. Damn near every network admin/tech/engineer job REQUIRES CCNA atleast. High paying helpdesk jobs require CMC cert. Anyone looking at Cisco certs will do themselves a favor if they go ahead and pick up a wireless cert also. Nowadays you have more mobil workforce than ever, wireless tech knowledge is required and it goes beyond setting up a SOHO network. You need to understand deployment strategies, propogation techniques and the different technologies, (802.11x, WiMax, HSPA, LTE, etc...) and their security measures, (AAA, TripleDES, etc...). Certs are definetely required, atleast here in Texas. Try to get a networking job without one and see how successful you are. Don't listen to some of these guys if your interested in networking field.

Juruense

Banned
It is pointless to argue about the value of certs. That argument has been going on since Microsoft and others first started these cert programs.

JDStud6

Established Member
I work in IT Security and I've seen several people with certs that dont know a damn thing. I have a Bachelors in Mathematics and Computer Science but it definitely helped having some previous IT experience when I got my job. I will probably be getting some certs this year. Right now we are looking for all sorts of people, but we prefer to have a bachelors degree.

JD

Boomer v3.8

Established Member
There's a HUGE difference between having a cert to compliment experience...
and a ...
PAPER cert (meaning you just have the cert, and no experience to back it up.. you read the book, paid the 125 bucks, and passed the exam)

Any employer in their right mind wouldn't hire on cert alone.
If they do, they have no right to complain about the guy not knowing anything.

Case in point about how many CCNA's can't even navigate through a Cisco IOS.

They aren't useless...but good in tandum with experience. Big diffrence.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
There's a HUGE difference between having a cert to compliment experience...
and a ...
PAPER cert (meaning you just have the cert, and no experience to back it up.. you read the book, paid the 125 bucks, and passed the exam)

Any employer in their right mind wouldn't hire on cert alone.
If they do, they have no right to complain about the guy not knowing anything.

Case in point about how many CCNA's can't even navigate through a Cisco IOS.

They aren't useless...but good in tandum with experience. Big diffrence.

Point taken and I agree, but some guys on here make it seem like your just retarded if you persue certs. Certs are a good way to get your foot in the door imo.

50 Proof

Established Member
Certs are helpful but not always needed. I used to work with a business systems analyst that made at least 6 figures a year. I asked him what kind of schooling background he had. He said he graduated highschool, never spent a single day in college. If you have connections and you know your ****, you don't need certifications. However, if you're browsing the job boards, they'll require certifications because the hiring managers need some sort of foundation to base your knowledge and experience off of. Most of the time the jobs on the job boards are pre-screened by HR, who really don't even know a whole lot about how to perform the job that the candidate is applying for.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
i have ZERO certfi... i have been int he IT world for 4 years, and have learned everything by doing it myself...

all i can say is getting high when i was 15 and messing around on a computer paid off magically... for someone who has no certs i get paid pretty damn well

Last edited:

cadde300

Established Member
If you are older and have experience all of this is fine. Being young, and i am, the IT field is hard to get into. I have a BS in information systems management which is a huge plus. If you are going to work on any DoD contract as a sys admin or customer support of any kind you are going to need certs. It is going to be a mandated DoD requirement in 2009 and all employees that are being hired in these positions. If you are in college look into the govt as a intern and get with a sys admin or something. Best thing you can do. you are getting your college education and real world experience at the same time. I highly recommend the certs, even if they are small ones like A+ or Security+. And if you know people in the military etc, talk to them about getting in a program to get you a security clearance. I have the college, certs, and clearance at age 25 and i'm making the money I thought I was going to be making at 40. it is there for the taking but you need to be a go getter. it is a saturated market.

Users who are viewing this thread