IT professionals come in!!!

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Need some input from IT nerds:rolling:

I am seriously considering starting classes for an Associates of Science Degree in Computer Network Systems. It is a 2 yr program at ITT Tech. I would like to hear from anyone in this proffession and how you like it, pros/cons and what not. I am 21 years old and have some college experience. I have been working full time for over 2 years now and think Im ready to go back to school. I am also a licensed realtor, but we all know how thats going right now. Thanks

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
...It is a 2 yr program at ITT Tech.
How much is it going to cost? I've heard some fairly outrageous tuition figures quoted for some of these tech schools like ITT. :shrug:

edit - The reason I mention cost is that many community colleges offer the same training and programs for a lot less than some highly advertised tech schools.

Last edited:

Neverlift

scotchy scotch scotch
Established Member
Tricky.. Its tough these day to find a niche.

Get certifications.. Without a college degree its the best way to establish credibility. Look into areas of IT that cannot be outsourced, otherwise there is no such thing as job security.

cadde300

Established Member
certifications is your best way. college degree is a good thing but certs show you know the field and can apply the knowledge. Security, forensics......go for those. if you have the time, get your CISSP. With that cert, you are gold. Expect to spend months studying but in the end it is worth it. That cert evelopes the security, forensics etc all together....very very worth while.

KduncSS

Established Member
How much is it going to cost? I've heard some fairly outrageous tuition figures quoted for some of these tech schools like ITT. :shrug:

edit - The reason I mention cost is that many community colleges offer the same training and programs for a lot less than some highly advertised tech schools.

It id pretty expensive, but so far that is the only place I have looked. I will check more places out.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Be careful with these tech schools. do a LOT of research on them and be sure to check out references. I know ITT tech at one time was investigated by a federal grand jury and the SEC a couple of years ago.

KduncSS

Established Member
Tricky.. Its tough these day to find a niche.

Get certifications.. Without a college degree its the best way to establish credibility. Look into areas of IT that cannot be outsourced, otherwise there is no such thing as job security.

Thats one good thing about the ITT campus I looked at. The teachers actually hold and teach classes on the weekends/non class days to prepare students for certification tests. And the classes are FREE. I thought that was really cool, and obviously would help with the money aspect. ITT also seems like they work really hard to help place you in a job, or atleast get you in contact with alot of potential employers.

JasonSnake

Established Member
checkout your community college website. Mine has a few good 2 year associates programs including Oracle DBA, MCSE, web design, etc.

I agree with everyone here. Don't pay up the yeng yang for a tech school, especially when you can't transfer your credits to a public comm. college / university.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
If you are going to go to school for it, then go to Devry. It is accredited, and offer excellent programs.

As mentioned above, your local junior college will probably offer good classes for a lot less than schools like Devry.

Certifications are not useful unless you have actual knowledge / experience to back them up.

KduncSS

Established Member
Be careful with these tech schools. do a LOT of research on them and be sure to check out references. I know ITT tech at one time was investigated by a federal grand jury and the SEC a couple of years ago.

Interesting. How would I go about checking on them? I know that ITT is nationwide, but the GA campus I went to has only been open since 2003.

txyaloo

Established Member
I would not go to ITT. Look into professional programs at a community college. It should be much cheaper, and I suspect you'll have better quality instruction.

I honestly don't think that degree will help you all that much. In IT hiring, we are usually going to bypass people with new associate degrees or certifications in favor of someone with hands on experience. If you can swing it, a CIS or MIS bachelors degree would work much more in your favor, but even then you'll most likely start at the bottom doing not so fun work (help desk, call center, etc).

Krazydogg82

Krazydogg82
Established Member
Do a little more research on ITT tech before you sign those papers. I was looking into it about 6 months ago and found some discouraging info about these "niche" schools. They're publicly traded businesses that are owned by shareholders and really only care about profits. ITT Tech and the like paint pretty pictures of success to get you to fork over large sums of money so that they can provide you with a mediocre education. Seriously look into it first. Plus their credits don't transfer to major universities so you'd have to start over again if you want to go to a four year school.

jesusphreak

Newby For Life
Established Member
the thing i've always heard for IT (so it may not be 100% everywhere but around here)
If you are getting a degree get a 4 year, otherwise dont waste your time and get your certifications. But certifications with nothing else wont get you very far either. You really need experience with a degree or certifications. That shows you at least half way know what your doing.
It would help you out A LOT to do some part time technology work while going through college. A good place at least for me was the local school district. The pay sucked, but the experience is what I was after. They will almost always work around your schedule and its a good place to learn a lot in a not so high stress invironment, then when you get done go get into the private sector and stay away from schools lol.

KduncSS

Established Member
I would not go to ITT. Look into professional programs at a community college. It should be much cheaper, and I suspect you'll have better quality instruction.

I honestly don't think that degree will help you all that much. In IT hiring, we are usually going to bypass people with new associate degrees or certifications in favor of someone with hands on experience. If you can swing it, a CIS or MIS bachelors degree would work much more in your favor, but even then you'll most likely start at the bottom doing not so fun work (help desk, call center, etc).

Yeah, I figured I would have to start out low on the radar. But hey, if it takes a couple of years to get my exp. up it would be worth it to do the crappy helpdesk stuff and then that combined with a degree and certifications would be better in the long run. I will definitely be looking into Community colleges. Thanks for the comments, keep em coming.

KduncSS

Established Member
Do a little more research on ITT tech before you sign those papers. I was looking into it about 6 months ago and found some discouraging info about these "niche" schools. They're publicly traded businesses that are owned by shareholders and really only care about profits. ITT Tech and the like paint pretty pictures of success to get you to fork over large sums of money so that they can provide you with a mediocre education. Seriously look into it first. Plus their credits don't transfer to major universities so you'd have to start over again if you want to go to a four year school.

Wow. Thats really good to know. I havent signed anything yet, and Im starting to think I wont be going back to talk to them at all LOL. I had an appt. Saturday to discuss some financial aid, but I will probably cancel it.

Snake_Eyes

SVT Warrior
Established Member
I'm an IT proffecianal. My advice is to get a Bachelor Degree and some certefications. I curretnly have certs but a degree is the way to go. Certs expire. Degree is forever. I have am in the military and have worked with many IT contractors. I you want to move up the ladder in the IT world get a degree, certs will only get you so far. My advice for a 21 yr old is got to school full time if possible. If not get some certs like MCSE and CCNA. That should be enough to attract employers. You have to like what you do other wise you will lose interert and get behind on technology. Hope this helps.

:beer:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
certifications is your best way. college degree is a good thing but certs show you know the field and can apply the knowledge. Security, forensics......go for those. if you have the time, get your CISSP. With that cert, you are gold. Expect to spend months studying but in the end it is worth it. That cert evelopes the security, forensics etc all together....very very worth while.

Actually this is not entirely true. it depends on the Cert. A LOT of companies are requiring the Degree AND the cert. If you only have the cert you are not looking at top tier stuff.

and Certs don't show shit altho companies still seem to believe that they do. the higher level CISCO cert certainly shows you know your stuff because they have a huge practical lab as part of the cert. but Microsoft, CompTia, and lower level cisco's do not do that. I have seen some certified people that couldn't do even the simplest jobs. Like the CCNA holder I had to show how to do a "SH IP INT BR" and explain to her what it showed.

I have been doing IT stuff since the mid 80s, I have no college degree, and only recently got a couple of certs. As long as I had a good network of friends in other companies I had no trouble getting a job. That network went away when I moved to Texas and I learned when I got laid off from Dell that most companies are looking for the DEGREE and the CERTS not just one or the other. the advantage I have over either one is a very wide spectrum of experience which will, in some cases, trump a fresh out of college guy with a cert or two.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

good get me a good paying IT job in Austin so I can get the hell outta da desert LOL

KduncSS

Established Member
Thanks again for all your helpful comments. Anyone wanting to share how they actually like or dislike working in IT??? I have always liked technology/computers, but never considered it as a career until recently.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread