It happened...it ALL gd@mn happened TODAY

BlKvNm

Established Member
/vent

I decided to drive the Cobra today (got my idle finally set)....it's a Friday, humidity is expected to be low and it may only reach high 80's....why not drive it, right?

Well, I pull out of the garage and go to make a turn and what happens? My car dies...first time that has happened to me..I thought I got lucky, guess not. (2k miles now)

It gets better though...

Two main reasons I do not drive my car every day to work:

1: 35 miles one way, 30 of it being highway

2: Road debris

I was so lucky this morning that I actually got to see the rock that just ruined by hood. It was the size of of gdamn golf ball kicked up from a highway construction rig. I knew it was going to be ugly and let me tell you...it is.

I now have a 2 inch gash in my hood.

I don't know the point in typing all of this other than to vent. My biggest fear when it comes to damage just happened. There was a big car show on the 4th too, there goes that. I am getting it fixed and it is sitting eternally in the garage (on workdays). /end vent

Mick

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
That really sucks Mick. :nonono: :(
Anything I can do to help, let me know.
I have to deal with horrendous construction and road conditions every day. Tons of rock chips and a huge ole dent in my K-member. I figure I'll eventually get caught out in a hail storm and get a new paint job then.

btw...what car show on the 4th?

BlKvNm

Established Member
Thanks Tracy /sigh I am just taking lots of deep breaths :p

Lackland is having a huge show on the 4th. Registration to enter is 25.00 and I think it starts at 10. If interested, let me know and I will email you the flyers.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
We have no plans for the 4th...may just check that out.

Hey...can't you just put the stock hood on for the car show?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Oh...and if you want to check it out, I have Autotap. Maybe we can see what's causing your stall. Let me know.

BlKvNm

Established Member
I don't wanna put the stock one on...I love the one I have with a deep and almost scarey passion, I would almost feel like I am betraying it :lol: As far as the stall...we shall talk indeed...thanks!!

Mick

CuLaTeR

Established Member
I hate reading posts like this. It is a fear all of us have. Personally, I think the stock hood looks better then that mess you have on the car.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Just put your hood up at the show. No one will notice it. They will be looking at the engine, not the back of the open hood.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I got my car for a different reason, though, and that is to drive it. I drove mine 50miles one way on the freeway for 2 months before changing jobs. I drive it every single day, rain or shine, even though I have a '98 cobra I could drive as a daily driver instead.

I have two little nicks on my hood from rocks, and I'm constantly having to work on the bug splats on my front bumper every other day or so. My car has stalled on me twice, and my clutch just burned out after only having the car since March 7th 2003.

To me, it comes with the territory. If I race it, things will break. If I drive it, things will get chipped/dirty. Is my solution not to drive or race it? No way in hell. It's a car, and a damn good one. It's meant to be driven. I'll take a chipped hood on a car that I've had a BLAST in on a daily basis, over a car that is in perfect condition and LOOKS like it might be fun to drive..if I only had the guts:D.

Not flaming, just stating that these things arn't museum pieces. If we freak about every little chip or scratch, we'll be paranoid and upset all the time. Allow your car to do what it was built to do, and allow yourself to grin from ear to ear because of it! :thumbsup:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Sorry man. I remember when my road debris incident happened. Also when some idiot in a mini van backed into my rear bumper. Worst feeling. It will get fixed and it will be ok.

BlKvNm

Established Member
Lethal: I hear what you are saying. I am sure eventually it will find it's way to my work again. The little chips I can deal with, the 2 inch gashes I cannot.

SVT4J

This isn't the autobahn?
Established Member
Sorry to hear about the issues Mick. I know how you feel about road debris. I got a nice sized rock right on the window two days ago. Took a chip out of the glass and a chip on the hood. I thought it was going through the front glass but it hit so close to the A-pillar that it just chipped a piece out, then proceeded to bounce off the hood and take a chip out there too :gt: I haven't seen anything on the car show either. Could you email the flyers to me too?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by SVT4J
I haven't seen anything on the car show either. Could you email the flyers to me too?
**Off topic**
We'll invade LAFB with 03's!!!
Hope they let me on this time. They gave me crap last time about not having a front plate. :nonono:

BlKvNm

Established Member
Dang Justin!! Sorry to hear that...frustrating but what do we do? Be pissed for awhile and then realize there are more important things to worry about!

You ave PM and I will email the flyer.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I know how you feel about driving on the expressway. I drive 35 miles each way to work and more than 50% of it is highway, One day driving to work a big rock kicked up and headed directly for my windshield. I swear I watch the rock the whole way. It played in slow motion in my mind and then BAM it hit my windshield. Thank God it didn't break it, but it scared the shit out of me.

If you want me to take picture of the road debris damnage on my car too make you feel better I will. You aren't the only one suffering. I love this car too much to let it sit though. :)

SVT4J

This isn't the autobahn?
Established Member
Originally posted by BlKvNm
Dang Justin!! Sorry to hear that...frustrating but what do we do? Be pissed for awhile and then realize there are more important things to worry about!

You ave PM and I will email the flyer.

Exactly right! That's why I drive my car all the time. The cobra is one of few things that makes me smile always, even if sh*t does happen.

Originally posed by racerat
Hope they let me on this time. They gave me crap last time about not having a front plate.
Tracy,
I told you they were not very nice about the front plate, they gave me a ticket, and now I have that custom bracket. I think you can get away with it in the front window. I'm sure the young airmen will not be able to quote Texas law on the plate issues. ;-)

jshen

Established Member
It always happens to new cars

In my case, 03 is 4 months old and a rock, kicked up by truck, took out my windshield.....

ssssnake

Established Member
The question I'm asking is - is every highway/freeway in Texas under construction? I know the main one we take to work is all tore up. Just noticed a chip out of the paint by the passenger door.

Users who are viewing this thread