IT guys, question what road to take

JasonSnake

Established Member
CLI is something I hope to get better at this semester when I do cisco routing...

It's definitely a monster on its own. It's as if the CLI on a Cisco device is a mix between DOS and Linux.

Although I completed the Cisco courses at my local college, I never went as far as getting the certified since I had changed my interest to programming instead.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I was in IT, system admin for 4 years, hated being at a desk all day. Now I'm in the oil/refinery/power plant side of things doing inspections and make A LOT more. If you want to make 3 figures a year, go that route. Doesn't require a ton of school either. There is a lot of jobs out there in that field. IT is too much to deal with imo with new technology coming out everyday and it's impacted. Plus it takes a long time to make the big money especially when your just getting into like you plan on doing.

3 figures you say??

:shrug:

:poke:

prs97

Established Member
3 figures you say??

:shrug:

:poke:

Agreed. This topic within this thread has my curiosity piqued.

Also, IOS CLI is a matter of practice, practice, practice. The more you use it, the more proficient you'll become. You can look into dynamips/GNS3 for simulators but working on the real deal is the best bet in my opinion.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
I am in the same boat guys. I am acquiring a bachelor in IT going to graduate this year, and have no idea where to go, or to do. I just want to get into something I like!

Boomer v3.8

Established Member
Wait, there is a GUI, when did this happen?

Web interface or (or in some cases CCP)

Most people just don't use it for Routers/Switches.
Do a DIR on a switch out of the box, you'll see the HTML folder there by default.
Don't know anyone that use it.

CCNA/CCNP:Security is a good track to get into.
Firewalling, VPNs, Intrusion Prevention etc.

Last edited:

Lefty10

....Slow....
Established Member
I absolutely hate the GUI's on the switches. I can throw a base config on a switch with command line in under 5 minutes. Takes me longer to rack mount the damn thing and to put the ears on it.

Users who are viewing this thread