IT guys, question what road to take

spike_africa

Established Member
So I graduated about 4 1/2 years ago from college. I have a business management degree. I have always been interested with computers. But I have no idea which way to go to get involved in that. What certificates or field do you think is the best way to go these days.

wht93gted

Established Member
I've only worked at a single software company since college. Started here as an intern, and because I was kicking ass and taking names, they hired me full-time (8.5 years ago).

That said; with what I see here, certificates get you customer support jobs (on the software side of things), which are the worst jobs on the planet. I hate dealing with customers. It's a nightmare. When something makes it through support, and gets into engineering where I have to deal with it, or talk with the customer, I'd rather lick the floor of a restroom at Giants stadium on game day.

However, the Microsoft ones (MCITP or MCTS) are still the holy grail IMO. You can land plenty of IT or IS jobs as system admins with one of those. We have a huge IT dept here and most of those people are certified in specific areas for specific things; unix admins, win admins, domain admins, voip admins, etc..

Virtualization is huge right now, and there're some certs in that. With the amount of virtual technology I see on a daily basis, that's def something to consider.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Not saying "this is the definite way you should do things", but I figure I'll share my experiences so far...

I'm 21, I've been in DeVry for just about a year, going for an Associates in Network System Administration (going to roll into a BS once I get my AS). I can apply this degree towards desktop support (where I am right now), network system admin (where I'm looking to go into) or system admin.

I've been working a desktop support position at a power company since September as a part time. I'm hoping once I get my AS I will get hired on full time.

Honestly, the networking field has a big and constant demand (you can't outsource that shit to India) and the more certified you are, the more you can make. The field pays really well, and its more straight forward than dealing with Microsoft BS like a system admin position does.

So my vote goes towards becoming a network admin :read:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have been doing IT since 1984. I happen to enjoy working with customers for the most part. Microsoft certs are good but they are not the epitome and wont get you the salary that some of the other things will. Networking stuff i.e. CCNA / CCNP you can make pretty good money at. but the real money is in the Network security field or computer forensics. IMHO. it is more about what you enjoy doing and the longevity of the field. Security has more longevity than any of the others because it is only going to get harder to lock your shit up

Lefty10

....Slow....
Established Member
CCNA - I'm in IT (Network Engineer) - Drink the Cisco kool-aid

CCNA, then CCDP/CCDA

HP certs are good. HP AIS Network Infrastructure. Then above that is the ASE, then above that is the MASE (Master ASE).

Those are some big ones in the field.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I am a QA Software tester with no degree and have been doing this for a year. I've learned A LOT(Selenium/WAPT/SQL) just working on the job and where I am located(Kansas City, KS), .NET is very popular.

I think mobile developement and learing HTML5 would be a half-decent direction because IMO, mobile development will be where it's at very soon.

I would recommend at least trying to find a QA Sortware position since it doesn't require a lot of "technical" knowledge and allows you to get your foot in the door.

GodStang

Established Member
Computer field is so so big. There is the software side writing programs, games, apps and other things like that. Then there is the hardware side setting up servers, setting up networks, running wiring and so on. Then of course there is designing computer parts but that is not really the IT field. There is also the desktop support side and software support. Just depending what you like and what to do. There are thousands of certs and other than the main ones like Cisco and Microsoft depending where you go they may mean nothing. I have become an expert in a program just to go to another company and it be meaningless to them because they use other ones.

I am a Security Network Admin in the nuclear field. It is a lot of fun but very stressful since the amount of hacking that has been going on. In the Security field if you get hack there is a huge chance you will lose your job. The bad thing is no matter how good you are there are hackers that are better.

With a microsoft cert or cisco cert you can get on a help desk just about anywhere and start learning the way making livable money. Then you can see if that is your thing and move to what you like from there.

As said above so many companies are going from Physical servers to Virtual servers using programs like VMWare. Tons of money in that if you are good.

One thing to remember is usually in the IT field you are expect to work at any time when there is a problem. on call 24hrs a day. Have to leave your family on Christmas day to go fix a program because someone is at work that does not celebrate Christmas so you have to go help them.

Machdup1

Established Member
The road is simple, do these in order:

A+
MCITP, focus on Exchange.
Get job in industry, gain experience
CCNA
Switch jobs, double salary
VCP
New job, big raise
Storage Certification
New Job, more money
Start looking for dream position and never stop trying to be the best person at what you do.

If you need to move when switching jobs, do it. If you can find a traveling job, do it. IT has taken me all over the US and the world. If you are willing to work hard, you have a future in IT, but kiss goodbye to holidays, weekends and evenings, that is the best time to do IT work.

If you have a 9 to 5 mindset, IT may not be for you.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
The road is simple, do these in order:

A+
MCITP, focus on Exchange.
Get job in industry, gain experience
CCNA
Switch jobs, double salary
VCP
New job, big raise
Storage Certification
New Job, more money
Start looking for dream position and never stop trying to be the best person at what you do.

If you need to move when switching jobs, do it. If you can find a traveling job, do it. IT has taken me all over the US and the world. If you are willing to work hard, you have a future in IT, but kiss goodbye to holidays, weekends and evenings, that is the best

If you have a 9 to 5 mindset, this IT may not be for you.

Damn good post!

prs97

Established Member
I agree on bouncing around. Gives you a chance to see what you may like and don't like and being more well rounded makes your skills better.

If you're going the certification route, networking isn't going anywhere so Cisco is good. Virtualization is big these days so VMware is good. More and more data gets generated every day so storage is in demand. Security will always be a concern so things like Cissp, etc are good.

Good luck in your search and +65 billion on the 9-5 thing. IT stuff has to work 24x7 so the IT folks tend to as well. Such is our industry.

KurtDog

Established Member
Unfortunately, certs don't meant shit unless you have your foot in the door or a degree in something technical. Since your degree is in business it's going to be hard for you to get an it job.

The it money is in sales, followed by management, followed by development, followed by qa, followed by support.

Machdup1

Established Member
I agree on bouncing around. Gives you a chance to see what you may like and don't like and being more well rounded makes your skills better.

If you're going the certification route, networking isn't going anywhere so Cisco is good. Virtualization is big these days so VMware is good. More and more data gets generated every day so storage is in demand. Security will always be a concern so things like Cissp, etc are good.

Good luck in your search and +65 billion on the 9-5 thing. IT stuff has to work 24x7 so the IT folks tend to as well. Such is our industry.

The knowledge is also foundational. It is tough to be a great Virtualization guy without solid knowledge of servers, networking and storage or a decent security guy without knowledge of everything.

Unfortunately, certs don't meant shit unless you have your foot in the door or a degree in something technical. Since your degree is in business it's going to be hard for you to get an it job.

The it money is in sales, followed by management, followed by development, followed by qa, followed by support.

You can land jobs with just certs. I have a business degree, started in sales and cross rated into the technical side that I enjoy much more. Now I'm level III server, networking, security, virtualization and storage. Basically, I'm the guy you call when no one else could figure it out.

spike_africa

Established Member
Very interesting stuff. I am wondering if I should move into whatever IT job I could get myself into and try it out for awhile. I am sure I could get some entry level job. I am relocating and looking to start a new life in a career I actually like. Unlike the one I have now that I hate. Please feel free to share more experiences!

i was thinking about getting into some classes at the college near where I am moving to and going from there.

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
So I graduated about 4 1/2 years ago from college. I have a business management degree. I have always been interested with computers. But I have no idea which way to go to get involved in that. What certificates or field do you think is the best way to go these days.

Network security and digital forensics. The first is, by far, the biggest growth area.

I didn't read any other responses but I'll bet this was mentioned several times.

JasonSnake

Established Member
It would also be nice to learn scripting and maybe some basic programming as well. You should learn a little of everything so you'll know how it all ties up. Even if you get into certifications in networking (i.e., Cisco), you'll need to learn how to use the command line on a Cisco router/switch terminal.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
An upcoming field in IT will be mobility. As more and more companies start catering to BYOD and programming for mobile devices, the demand for knowledge in mobility will go up.

Where I work, certs like A+, Security +, MCP don't mean squat besides you can read a book. If you want certs, go after specialized ones that mean more.

The certs that brought me big money in the past few years are Storage Management and Disaster Recovery. I also handle our mobility/BYOD.

spike_africa

Established Member
Thanks guys. It really helps. Besides going back and getting another degree which most of my IT friends say is a waste of time, I am really looking into ways to gain experience and move along. I know I will start at the bottom again and that's ok. After doing sales and management for awhile I am kinda over sales. It has way to many ups and downs.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
I was in IT, system admin for 4 years, hated being at a desk all day. Now I'm in the oil/refinery/power plant side of things doing inspections and make A LOT more. If you want to make 3 figures a year, go that route. Doesn't require a ton of school either. There is a lot of jobs out there in that field. IT is too much to deal with imo with new technology coming out everyday and it's impacted. Plus it takes a long time to make the big money especially when your just getting into like you plan on doing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread