Issues with Kenne Bell?

Nbrac27

Established Member
So im new to the twin screw world coming from, turboed awd imports, and am curious why it seems like theres a general disdain for KB superchargers. I know whipple is huge and VMP is as well, but is there an actual issue with KB? Im looking at their 2.8 and it seems to be a good deal price wise for the performance output. I know KB was huge back when the terminators were first released but now it seems almost no one uses their blowers for our cars?

Am i completely wrong here or is there huge quality difference between KB and whipple or VMP?

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Kenne Bells are known for generating a lot of heat and thier customer service is no bueno.
I have a Kenne Bell on one of my Cobras and I like it, but that puppy gets hot, even with meth injection to help cool it.

Nbrac27

Established Member
Ohh okay well thats good to know. So then for say an every other day type driver that will see occasional track use not be a good idea for something like a KB? Im stationed in El Paso currently and the average temperature for about 9 months of the year is 95 degrees -__-

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
There are guys on here who have them and I'm sure have had no problems with them. They make comparable power, but I don't think they are quite as efficient as a TVS. That being said, I purchased a Whipple for my Terminator, but then decided to go KB and bought one of those. After more reading I sold both of them and have a brand new TVS in the box in my garage waiting to go on. But I'm sure if I installed the KB I would be just as happy. But the kind of driving I do is just to amuse myself

D-MANN

Established Member
I had a kb 2.6H for few years. Never had an issue with it. I’ve only ever needed to speak with kb five times but got thru every time no problems. If I could turn back time I would of bought a 2.8 mammoth right from the start like kb suggested. Kb makes a 3.2 mammoth now but I’m not sure if anyone on the site has one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

03' White Snake

Established Member
Been running my 2.8H KB for many years without issues. Jim Bell actully was emailing me about my survey after I first installed my blower. I've never had any issues getting through to them. I am very happy with my blower. Follow the instructions on oil fill/changes amd it is a great blower. Power numbers are all in the same ballpark between mnf's.

I personally like the machined housing better than the cast Whipple or VMP blowers. Looks like you are getting something for your money, not a mass produced blower.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
2.8 KB as well. Mine is liquid cooled and can still get hot. But car gets driven a lot and I’ve never had issues. Makes same power as any other comparable blower. I also like The “shoebox” look everyone else seems to hate.

Nbrac27

Established Member
Okay so they're not these issue ridden blowers i got the vibe about from cruising around on this forum. My goal is to make 600 to the wheels and am in the process of planning everything now and have been stuck between the KB 2.6 or VMP's new 2.6.

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
Not a cobra but I have a KB on my 5.0 and love it. My summers get to about 115 in July and August they do get hot, but mine is liquid cooled and I love it. Also a bit more unique when whipples and TVSs are more common.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I had my mind made up that when I got a Cobra, it was getting a Kenne Bell. But, some of the feedback I've read about customer service turned me off along with the price of the VMP unit compared to a Kenne Bell.

They make a great blower it seems, but to me, the VMP was much more cost beneficial to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IL4 2 V8

Established Member
I went with VMP simply because the price was right (lethal took care of me) and it’s a Eaton based blower, very similar to the stocker so intstalation should be a breeze. I’m also looking for close to 600 WHP I choose the 3” pulley.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I make 612 hp 604 tq on 93 @ 18.5 psi and 694 hp 674 tq on corn at 20.5 psi with my 2.8H non liquid cooled.

It took a few rounds of mods to break into the 600 club on 93. I made 580 before adding headers which bumped it to 602, then the return fuel system got me to where it is now. All on the same dyno.

My new setup is expected to be much higher than that.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I make 612 hp 604 tq on 93 @ 18.5 psi and 694 hp 674 tq on corn at 20.5 psi with my 2.8H non liquid cooled.

It took a few rounds of mods to break into the 600 club on 93. I made 580 before adding headers which bumped it to 602, then the return fuel system got me to where it is now. All on the same dyno.

My new setup is expected to be much higher than that.
612 almost sounds kinda low.. my car hasn’t been tuned on 93 yet but I’m expecting 630’s at 18-19 psi

03' White Snake

Established Member
612rwhp on 93 is not bad at all. Tq seems high. curious what your setup makes

My car always seemed to have higher tq than most with similar setups. With the Eaton it made 457 hp 475 tq with 2.93 upper 4 lb lower.

20140828_160442_zpsf3263ff6.jpg

stangfreak

Established Member
car makes good numbers. I have a million stories about dyno numbers and shops. I wont stir the pot. but shop x gave me a 900rwhp GT500! Right. pump gas, 15lbs of boost 5 degree timing. track tells it all =)

03' White Snake

Established Member
car makes good numbers. I have a million stories about dyno numbers and shops. I wont stir the pot. but shop x gave me a 900rwhp GT500! Right. pump gas, 15lbs of boost 5 degree timing. track tells it all =)

I hear yea. All I was saying is 600 hp is easily achieved with a KB blower.

GodStang

Established Member
The reason why is this website is run by vendors. What are the main two vendors? VMP and LP. What are the main pushed blowers? VMP TVS and Whipple pushed by LP. Most of the other sites I am on KB is pushed. The guys making fast times and big numbers all have KBs. People complain of no Customer service. I have been using KB since 2005 (5 different Kenne Bells) and have called them 50 times over the years and never had an issue. I was doing a custom one off build and I was calling them a few times a day and they would take their time with me.

They are fantastic blowers and you will enjoy the KB. As far as Quality of all three blowers they are all outstanding and you would be happy with any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread