Issues with installing 9'16 irs bolts

froggerlives07

Established Member
Well I attempted to install the bolts yesterday and man was it a pain in the ass seems like the hole where the bolt goes in is to small. After like 2 hours trying to put one bolt in I gave up!!:shrug: I just put the stock 12mm bolt back. Any tips??

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i don't have any tips other than mine went in ok once i got the irs lined up. i put them in as the first part with the rear of the subframe hanging down. just used a bfh and they seemed to be fine, if they are from full tilt they are hardened i beleive

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Any body else have any input?

Did you loosen ALL of the subframe mounting bolts before attempting to intall them? Did you use a floor jack to try to adjust the position of the subframe in the chassis? Did you try a large pinch bar to align the subframe in the chassis?

YMMV,

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

froggerlives07

Established Member
Thanks for the reply..no I didnt take out all the subframe bolts... meaning front and back?? I did use a floor jack and tried adjusting the postitio. Guess I never got a How to on installing these...figured just take out bolt install new one?? :??:

Last edited:

bubblehead93

Established Member
your replacing the front 12 mm bolts which were supposed to have been 14 mm right.

i ponyed up and got the 14 mm bolts. i have no experience using the 9/16 bolts.

14 mm = 0.5512 inches

9/16" = 0.5625 inches

if the hole is to tight, just get a smaller...

nevermind

if you loosen the rear bolts, support the front of the subframe with a jack, and use a prybar you should be able to get them in.

:beer:

Charles236

Established Member
The 9/16" bolts are a tight fit, it took a lot of patience to get them in on my car. Loosening all the subframe bolts helped me a lot, and using one of the old bolts on one side of the opening to help work the sleeve around to line up the bolt and the holes was the other trick I used.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Thanks for the reply..no I didnt take out all the subframe bolts... meaning front and back?? I did use a floor jack and tried adjusting the postitio. Guess I never got a How to on installing these...figured just take out bolt install new one?? :??:

I never suggested REMOVING the bolts! :read: Only loosening them! :idea:

hotcobra03

Established Member
bolts

i was just thinking about changing mine,,,it feels like im driving two cars at one time...

i picked up 9/16x4 bolts and i first thought the same thing when installing...like if the hole isnt big enough...than i seen this thread...

i tryed again and found the bolt just fits,,,you do have to be almost perfect with alignment of hole...

i did mine with car on ground ,,pulled one bolt at a time using floor jack on sub frame from in front of wheels,used a pinch bar and comealong,,,took about 5 mins... ill let you know if car drives straight again....

i only changed the two front bolts

SnowMan

Established Member
I had the exact same issue. I lowered the subframe completely out of the way and the bolt still wouldnt go in. It appeared that the hole wasnt exactly precision cut/drilled (go figure) and there were some slight burrs around the hole. I took a round file and very gently cleaned it up until the bolt just slid in. After that the subframe mounted with no issues.

2004 REDFIRE

Established Member
I had no problems getting one side on but the other was a nightmare. i ended up grinding the bolt itself down, kind of like you would sharpen a pencil. if you look at orignal bolts they tamper down on the ends. after just grinding down the last 2 threads it slide thru, of course with a lil banging on it. i also used the 9/16ths bolts. i didnt loosen the rear of the irs ither.

hotcobra03

Established Member
bolts

try again its worth your time

well after a week of driving,,im still driving two cars,,,bolts made a major change to the feel of my ride..it feels tighter even with the jerking left to right....i did find a loose inner tie rod in the rear ,i placed an order with ford parts website/royal oak ford for two lateral links,,,they were priced wrong so im taking a CHANCE here....Tousley was 188 list 124 cost.
fulltilt sold just half that was an upgrade .alittle less than tousley.royal oak had them listed fo 11bucks and change...we ordered 2 for 30 bucks with shipping

Users who are viewing this thread