Issues after top end rebuild

ademily87

Established Member
Hello everybody. My car (2003 cobra, 132k miles, upper only) developed a misfire back in April of 2014, and it ended up being a cracked valve in cylinder 7 and bad valve guide in cylinder 6. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, I picked my car up from the shop after getting the heads rebuilt with 32 new guides, 8 new valves for the 2 bad cylinders, and new timing chains and tensioners, basically had the whole top end redone.

I noticed when I picked up the car that it smoked a little on start up, but figured it was from sitting for so long, and my mechanic said it's probably from the bad valves it could have some oil in the intake still and it's just burning it off. Well now it's a week later and it still smokes a good bit on start up, and heard from friends that it smokes even when I drive it, just normal driving. I was also told it seemed to smoke more put of the drivers side exhaust, which is the side that had the 8 new valves put in.

When it broke last year it didn't smoke at all. Even running on 7 cylinders. Just had a really lopey idle lol I'm going to check the oil tomorrow to see if it's burning it, which I'm sure it is. Then do a compression test and see if I have a friend that has a leakdown tester and do that too. I was informed that the cylinders and pistons were in great shape, and it didn't smoke at all EVER before having the heads gone through, so I'm really REALLY hoping its not rings. I've already thrown more money that I want to at it, and if it is the rings I'll be selling the car more than likely and cutting my losses.

The smoke isn't as bad when I start it after sitting all night, but if I start it after its been driven within a few hours it's a LOT of smoke on start up, then goes away. Also it doesn't idle like it used to. The car almost shuts off every time I let off the gas and push the clutch in coming to a stop, and doesn't start too easy when it's cold, and also doesn't stay at a slightly higher rpm after sitting all night either (like a normal cold start). Just starts, tries to fall on its face, then the idle will surge up and down for a second, and smooth out to about 700rpm.

Would yall say rings or valves? Too early to tell? If it's in the heads, like a stuck valve, I don't have to pay the shop anything to have it repaired correctly. If he pulls the motor and the heads off and it's not valve related, I have to pay for all the labor and I'm back at square one.

Thanks for any input guys.

Cobra smoke on start up: http://youtu.be/BzKurDBV7W0

ademily87

Established Member
Just did a compression test. Engine was cold, only because I took it all apart yesterday only to find out the compression tester I had was bad. Gave up and went to bed. Got a new one today and just checked it.
20150206_150542_zps6etrvtdl.jpg

Thoughts? I know they seem a little low, but it's a cold engine.

Is it low enough to cause THAT much smoke on start up?

ademily87

Established Member
And as a reference, the 2 cylinders that got the 8 new valves are number 6 and number 7. Here are the compression numbers from when I first found out the issue and didn't drive it since then until I got my car back from the shop a week ago.
FB_IMG_13974267960910616_zpsvxdyida8.jpg

ademily87

Established Member
Well the first time was on a warm motor. This time was on a cold motor and from what I've read/heard it can make it go up significantly when warm.

I still feel like the numbers aren't low enough to cause that much smoke on startup.

toomanytoys

Established Member
You tested compression. Those are the top 2 rings. What if the oil control ring on the bottom is damaged but the top rings are fine?

MattG04

Established Member
I don't know much but from what I'm seeing I'm seeing valve seals and guides. I just went through the top end of mine and it's at 142k no smoke here just my .2

ademily87

Established Member
You tested compression. Those are the top 2 rings. What if the oil control ring on the bottom is damaged but the top rings are fine?
You're confusing me. So you're saying, even if you have good compression, you can still have bad rings that are bad enough to make it smoke like that?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
You're confusing me. So you're saying, even if you have good compression, you can still have bad rings that are bad enough to make it smoke like that?

While not likely yes. The compression rings (top 2 rings) could be fine giving you OK compression test readings however the oil control rings below could have failed and be allowing oil by.

Maybe I missed it but is the smoke blueish or white? You sure its oil you're burning and not coolant?

toomanytoys

Established Member
It is possible. But if the work was only done on the heads there shouldn't be a problem with the rings. That is a lot of smoke though. My 88LX had the very first Twisted Wedge heads with the bad valve guides and it didn't smoke that bad. Maybe they forgot to install the valve seals on the valves they replaced. Are any of the plugs showing oil consumption? Is the pcv blocked off?

ademily87

Established Member
I've driven it approximately 500 miles since I got it back, and this is how much oil I have on the dipstick. Not good! And yes a couple of the spark plugs in the drivers side had oil on them. Number 5 and 7 I believe.

20150207_134745_zpsh0rdlyb7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread