Issue with Voltage on 99 Cobra

zeus201

Established Member
I look to my fellow New Edge owners for diagonsis on electrical issue...

Here is a brief ~ long summary:

Car is a 99 with 03/04 Cobra conversion with 8lb lower and larger alternator pulley (can't remember size) and 4 back chip. Start of this season, I have been noticing a voltage drop according to my Aeroforce gauge, which reads off the the computers realtime data. Battery voltage would start out at 14V and then drop to 13 - 13.2 volts as I drove around. Last year and the year before, the Aeroforce gauge would show constant 14 volts.

Last Sunday, took the car out and was accelerating through 2nd gear and my voltage dropped to 11 as well as the the battery light came on. The alternator gave out and figured that it wasn't properly charging battery which resulted in slow, steady drop in voltage.

Got a new remaned alternator from Tousley, had it checked before install and put out 14.7 volts. Reinstalled earlier this week and finally put the Optima Redtop battery back into the car today after recharging for about 12 - 16 hours. Started the car and the Aeroforce gauge was reading 14 volts as well as the multimeter was showing 14.3 volts at battery. I thought all is well and decided to drive the around for 40 minutes.

As I started driving, my voltage started to drop according to the Aeroforce gauge. I pulled over, unplugged the gauges, and plugged in the Xcal 3 instead. It was also reading 13.X volts and eventually dropped and leveled off at 13.0 - 13.2 volts. After driving around a little more, I get home and measure the voltage at the battery while idling which read 14.X volts. I jacked the car up and looked at the grounds which looked fine. My neighbor came over with his multimeter for a second opinion. I fired the car up and turned on lights, radio, and A/C and still measured 14 volts at battery with dropping voltage according to Xcal 3. Repeated with Aeroforce gauges plugged in and showed the same voltage drop and same 14.X volts at battery with multimeter.

At this point, I have no idea what the f is going on as voltage at battery is good, but the digital readout from two sources is showing a slow drain. The analog battery gauge needle on the cluster is on the + sign. Prior to dropping in a new alternator, the car has always fired up right away, so I am sort on the fence to say there is something drawing voltage away. However, I am going to get an ammeter tomorrow and try to see if there is a draw.

I apologize for the long read! Any thoughts or ideas on possible places to look at?

Users who are viewing this thread